Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

neyyappam

A ganapathy temple is in Koovappady village.There Udayasthamayam vazhipadu is famous and costly also.
    Sun rise to sunset Neyyappam is prepared and neyvethaym is performed upto sunset and udayasthamana pooja is concluded with sanyakala Deeparathanai.
    Very tasty soft neyvethya neyappam is distributed to all bakthas. NEYYAPPAM like this is not availabe any where in the world except this koovappady village ganapathy temple by His grace I believe.
    These are not over narrated word.Nitharsa sathyam.Temple portion of neyyappam was sold by ellam.

In one Udayathamanam the following articles are required.

Raw rice 16 kg powder it
    20 kg sarkkarai [marayoor jaggary]
    1 kg kathali pazham if not available Palayankodan or nenthram pazham,Two coconut grated.Grind them smooth paste and boil it.Keep to cool
    Disolve the jaggary and remove the impurities add all incrediants and 100 gram elakkai podi[cardomam powder]. the batter should be more watery than thosai batter.This should be finished in the night.Keep over night.Next day morning Udayathamana appam preparation begins in appakkaral[Paniyarach chatti].approximately 8 kg ghee is required.

2. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

neyyappam

hi seethalakshmi amma,
    could u pls tell me the quantity of ingredients to make neyyappam for four persons?
    its my favourite!
    thank u, safa.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Seetalakshmi

It is good to read the method of making Sathasathayam. Last year, i read an article on Pallasena Devi and realised that She is MAdura Meenakshi. She came from Madurai to give darshanam to an aged devotee and stayed on for all of us in Pallasena.

Looking ahead to kootupayasam, aravanai etc.

Do you know padi payasam also?

In appam for Ganapathy temple, I did not understand one point. Should we grate coconut, grind it and boil it? Till what stage do we have to boil it?

Also in kadumpayasam, 1:6 rice and vellam, will the cooked rice become stiff when vella paagu is added?

Looking forward to yr clarifications.

best regards
    Vidya

4. tsseethalakshmi

Dear safa

Thank you for your response

Small house hold need neyyappam.If you keep in the fridge 2 to 3 weeks it will be fresh.Use it steam as idly or microvave it.

2 glass raw rice [powder it]
    2 1/2 or 2 1/4 glass marayoor sarkkara if not avalable, available sarkkarai
    1/2 moodi coconut i.e, 1/4 coconut
    1 kathali or 1 small palayankodan pazham or 1/4 nethiran pazham.
    Elakkai[cardomum powder] one tea spoon

Grind coconut, pazham and boil.keep aside to cool.
    make sarkkarai pani removing all impurities.Mix all incredians and keep over night.the batter must be watery than thasai batter.
    Place the appakkaral in fire brush gingily oil in all kuzhis.It will help, the appam will not stick in the bottom of the appakkaral.Appam will come in the top of the boiling ghee automatically.If the appam is not come in urundai shape, separates in the ghee it means sarkkarai is too much.Nooru of the rice[thickness] is varies rice to rice.
    You can add some more rice flower, or chappathi flower and mix it.Appam will come correctly.Try and enjoy neyyappam.Kindly feedback.

5. tsseethalakshmi

Dear vidya,

1:6 is sree ramanavami speacial payasam.

1:4 is enough to bghavat seva payasam i;e;., it is called ney payasam because using ghee the payasam was reduced as thic gravy.One cut coconut is fried in ghee is added in ney payasam.

Aravana payasam is distributed in sabarimalai.As you told the rice will become stiff like raw rice in the payasam.It will fresh for years in fridge.

As the rice is over cooked it will not become as stiff as aravana payasam.

Neyyappam: the grated coconut and pazham should be ground smooth paste and boil until raw smell disappear.cool and mix with the batter.

Padi payasam is parathaman only. It is distributed in the steps of the river side.So the name padi payasam.
    I will post kootupayasam.
    seethalakshmi

6. tsseethalakshmi

Kootupayasam

It is very easy to cook.

1:1

1/4 kg raw rice
    1/4 kg marayoor sarkkarai
    coconut one grated

Boil the raw rice tender and smooth add the jaggary and boil when the raw smell disappeared and rice and jaggery mixed well add grated coconut and stir well.This is kootupayasam.

7. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Seethalakshmi,

Nice to see the recipes from "Gods Own Country". The recipes are really tempting.
    Can u pl. post the recipes of palada pradhaman( including adai), chakkai pradhaman, Brinjal curry (by manaapa muslims, i had this in an restaurent) Congradulations and keep posting more recipes.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Seetalakshmi

I am happy to see a different recipe for neyappam. I have never tried a method with grinding banana and coconut, co oking and cooling it. I really look forward to trying this out.

Is there any difference between neyappam and unniappam?

Wili it be possible to post more thattukada type recipes. Also can you post some recipes with muthira.Please take your time.

best regards
    Vidya

9. tsseethalakshmi

Dear vidya and safa

I am busy with chakka pani.This week end my youngest son and daughter in law are comming.My husband's shrartham(21st death annuarsary] will be on 25th of this month.I will try to post all recipes I know.Thank you for your response.
    seethalakshmi

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Seetalakshmi

Please take your time. There is no hurry, please post at your convenience.

best regards
    Vidya