Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya

Happy to see your reply.Now I am in Bangalore from May onward.I will be leaving to live in an Himalayan ashram and will reach in the middle of June.
    tsseethalakshmi

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs Seetha,

Very happy to hear that you will be spending some time in a Himalayan ashram. Wish you all peace and serenity in those snow capped divine surroundings. Looking forward to your return to IL.

regards
    Vidya

3. sugandhiramamswamy

sugandhiramamswamy New IL'ite

hi Mrs Seethalakshmi
    i am new to this forum. i would like you to tell me the recipe for traditional kerala appam(the one eaten for breakfast and not the sweet one)
    with regards
    sugandhi

4. tsseethalakshmi

Dear Sugamdhiramamswamy,
    Sorry for the delayed reply.When I returned from ashram, the long journey,train food all affect my health.The preparation of Appam or aappam is explained in page 41 post no.409.Go to keralapreparation index and breakfast dishes or prabatha bhakshanam s.no.5 to 10 also variety of appam preparation is explained.
    tsseethalakshmi

1 person likes this.
  5. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

Can anyone post the receipe for Boli (mostly available in trivandrum) ?
    :thankyou2:

6. Jansi

Jansi New IL'ite

Re: chakka puzhukku

your Chakka puzhukka is excellent, but the fact is I cannot make it as we do not get it her in Kuwait. waiting for next year to go home and have chakka puukku

Jansi

7. tsseethalakshmi

Dear IL friends returned

Dear IL friends,
    After a long period of absence I returned.
    Reasons.My home computer is out of order.I was under treatment.
    I just returned toDelhi from the holy Kailash Manasarovar pilgrimage.
    We have very clear good [without any clouds]dharsan of mt.Kailash and mt.Nandhi,and Manasarovour.
    Better late than never.
    Thank you all ILfriends who send Birthday wishes.As I only saw it recently.
    Now I am in Delhi to particepate my brothers first death anniversary.
    Once again I thank you one andall.
    tsseethalakshmi

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. tsseethalakshmi

Nellikkai vathal

In the Kailashyatra a friend from Rajapalayam name is vasantha brought this vathal.It was very tasty.Yathries should brought some dry fruits with them during the yathra.
    As per her recipe
    nellikkai small chips like cutting pieces 1 glass
    salt one pinch
    Sugar 1 1/4 glass {can be added more according to individual taste]
    Mix the nellikkai cuts and sugar.Keep it for two days.The nellikkai will oozed water.Strain the water and use it as surbat.
    The nellikkai cuts, 1 spoon chilli powder, pinch salt cheera powder mix them well and sundry for one day and store it.
    You can use it as mouth freshner or can consume it as it is. Very tasty and healthy snack also.

variation: The chilli powder may be replaced by black pepper powder [If you like the taste]
    tsseethalakshmi

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  9. mayavarma

mayavarma New IL'ite

Coconut Pudina Chammanthi(chutney)- Another Version

Another Version of Pudina Chutney

Ingredients
    Pudina - 1 bunch (Leaves removed, washed and drained)
    Coconut grated - 2 or 3 spoons
    Garlic - 1or 2 cloves
    Green Chillies - 2 or 3
    Tamarind - small pinch
    Salt - to taste

Method:
    In a kadai heat 1 spoon oil and fry garlic till brown (chutney won't taste garlic), make a small slit on the green chilles and fry. Switch off the stove and in the remaining heat fry the pudina and coconut grated. Once it is cooled grind all the above with tamarind and salt. Serve with dosa, idly, chappathi, or bread.:2thumbsup:

Thanks & Regards,

Maya Varma

Ingredients
    Coconut grated - 1 cup,
    Small Onions - 5,
    Garlic - 1 clove,
    Ginger - 1/2 inch piece,
    Mint leaves - 6 leaves,
    Curry leaves - a few,
    Green Chillies - 2,
    Salt - to taste,
    Juice of lemon- 1.
    Method:
    Grind all the above things except limejuice. Mix limejuice to the ground chutney. Serve with biriyani.[/quote]

10. AshaUnni

AshaUnni New IL'ite

Recipe for Kerala Ada Pradhaman

Hi.....

I am including recipe for Kerala Ada Pradhaman (Payasam)...

Ingredients
    <TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 344.25pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=459 border=0><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=144>Adda

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One packet (ready made available)

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Jaggery (Sharkara)

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One kg

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Coconut

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>4 (for extracting milk)

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Coconut

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One cup (Cut into very small thin pieces)

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Cashew nut

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One cup

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Kismis (dry grapes)

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>½ cup

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Cardamom

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>6 (powdered)

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 7"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=144>Dry Ginger (Chukku)

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One teaspoon (powdered)

<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 8; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 1.5in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=144>Ghee

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 212.25pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=283>One cup

Method
    1. Grate the coconut and grind it in a grinder and extract the first milk (say 6 cups). Then add one cup water to the ground coconut and grind it well to take the second milk (diluted milk).
    2. Fry cashew, grapes in one table spoon of ghee and keep it aside.
    3. Cook the ada in 4 cups of water. Once it becomes soft, remove from fire and pour cold water on it so that it does not remain sticky. Drain water from it.
    4. Keep a pan on fire and melt the jaggery in it. Keep on stirring till it is completely melted. Now add the ghee and keep on stirring well. After 30 seconds add the Adda and mix well. Now add the second milk and mix well till it boils. Add cashew and grapes. Mix well.
    5. Remove from the fire and after one minute pour the first thick coconut milk along with the dry ginger powder and cardamom powder. Mix well.
    6. If the payasam is very thick, you can dilute it to your preference by adding thicker coconut milk or drinking milk.

Regards
    Asha...............