Kerala preparations

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by tsseethalakshmi, Feb 1, 2006.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    Ambalanga is Hog plum. We have two ambalanga trees at home. MIL would send it here by putting in salt water (like uppu manga) when any one comes. It's very tasty! My ma would make pickle with it..(I am not sure this is the hog plum seen in American states). It is green in color and yellow when ripe. We would put this in curries instead of tamarind or mango..

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

ambalanga

Dear Seena,

Thanks for the english name for ambalanga. The pickle is absolutely delicious. I am surprised as a naadan, I have never eaten this pickle before. As you said, it looked like small gooseberries with many small seeds inside each fruit.

Next step, is to find out how the hot pickle is made. My husband loved it so much that I must learn it asap. Pls share the recipe here, if you can.

affly
    Vidya

3. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

ampazhanga

In our side ambazhanga is like small size kodielimichai kai[nendu nadu kundu size].This soar taste vegitable like mangai.But not available in market.Can have from our own house garden.we can use it instead of tamarind as per seena mentioned.
    one type achar I am posting.This has not long shelf life.

amabazhanga 1 cup[cut pieces little big]
    ginger 2 tbs
    mangaiginger 2 tbs [if available]
    carrot 2 tbs
    big size green chilli 10
    red chilli powder 1/4 cup
    salt below 1/4 cup
    achaar masala 1tbs[fenugreek,mustard seeds,asafoetida dry roast and
    powder]
    oil tsp
    vinegar 1/2 cup

pore oil in a kadai and add all vegitables and satue for two minutes add vinegar let the vegitable cook for a while add red chilli powder, achaar masala and salt stir well remove from fire. let it cool.you can use within one hour.In a fridge one week to two week.
    another soar taste kalakai is available.We can make achar like this.
    We can make thokku from ambazhankai like other thokku.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  4. tsseethalakshmi

Dear vidya,
    I have posted one type achar from ambazhanga.We can make thokku from it.Making is same method of thokku making.

tsseethalakshmi

5. tsseethalakshmi

lolikka

Another soar vegitable same like nellikkai but it is light pinkish smaller than nellikkai available in kerala.It is lolikkai.Tastes sour.But not available in market.It is also from home garden product.
    We can make achaar,thokku,chamanthi with it.Method is as usual.

6. tsseethalakshmi

Nokkatanpuli

In olden days there is no laly pup.
    there is no bakery items for 'korikkan'.
    we children make nokkattanpuli and fix it in the top of a thenkkin kuchchi and licking it and making noice stricking the tongue in the upper part of the mouth [nokkottu].
    so the name came nokkattam puli.[puli tamarind is main ingredient.]

tamarind two lemon size
    red chilli 5 or 6
    salt
    asafoetida
    jaggary one big lemon size
    mango flower 1 big bunch

Strike all the 6 items in a kalural and make it like kattisamnthi[thukayal].make even orundai and fix it in the eerkili[thenkin kuchchi].Enjoy it by licking.
    tamarind sourness,redchilli hotness salt saltish,asafoteda[thuvarpu],jaggary sweetness and mango flower pitterness.you can enjoy arusuvai in one recipe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  7. tsseethalakshmi

sathumavu buttermilk uppuma

sathumavu 2 cup
    miled sourness buttermilk 1 cup
    water 1 cup
    asafoetida
    thyir milakai 2
    green chilli 1
    red chilli 1
    mustard seeds 1tsp
    urud dha 1tsp
    channa dhal 1tsp
    curry leave
    oil
    salt

take a kadai pore oil and add mustard seeds when cracked add urud dhal,channa dhal when stards to become golden brown add thyir milakai when turned brown add red chilli green chilli,asafoetida, curry leave and add buttermilk and water, salt.when it starts to boil add little by little sathumavu while stiring.Cover it tight with lit.In between stir it.When it cooked for ten minutes remove from fire.Good tiffin.

8. tsseethalakshmi

plain rice flour uppuma

plain rice flour 2cup
    red chilli 1 cut into pieces
    green chilli 1 cut pieces
    asafoetida
    tempering
    mustard seed 1tsp
    urud dhal 1tsp
    channa dhal 1tsp
    curry leave
    salt
    oil 1 laddle ful
    plain rice flour and water 2cup salt mix well.
    Pore half oil and temper with mustard seeds,urud dhal,channa dhal,asafoetida, red chilli and green chilli,curry leave.Now pore the rice flour mixer and stir well
    tightly cover with lit.cook in a medium flame.In between stir the uppuma.after 10 mintute add the balance oil and stir well continuosly.The uppuma will be seperated as small lumps.Good emergency tiffin.This uppuma may stick in the bottom and become a crispy layer.This is we called adaipidikkal.Very tasty to eat.
    variation:you can add buttermilk 1/2 cup

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  9. tsseethalakshmi

mixed flour uppuma

When you have small quantity of flours but not enough to prepare u can make mixed flour uppuma.My elder sister was expert making this uppuma.

flours rice flour,bengalgram flour,wheat flour,maida,ragi flour any three or four 2 cup
    red chilli powder 1tsp
    asafoetida
    salt curry leave
    buttermilk 1/2 cup
    turmaric powder
    oil one laddle ful
    mustard seeds 1tsp
    urud dhal 1 tsp
    bengalgram dhal 1 tsp
    green chilli or red chilli 1 [cut into pieces]
    mix all increadients with 4 cup [all adding buttermilk] water and salt.
    take a bottom thick kadai pore half oil and tember with mustard seeds when crackle add urud dhal,bengal gram dhal and curry leave one red chilli or green chilli stir well.Add the flour mixer and stir well.When becoming thick cover tightly with lit and let it cook.In between stir well.After ten mints. add balance oil and stir well.cook for 10 minutes.The uppuma will seperate as small lumps.The bottom will stick with the vessel making a thick crispy aadai.
    Remove from fire and seperate the uppuma and aadai.Enjoy with any kuzhambu or aachar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

these are known as kuzhu moarkuzhu

this item of mixed flour or rice flour is not known as upma but moarkuzhu in this side....my sister sathya is an expert in this, she used moar molagai and plenty of till oil. it is yummy...regards sunkan