1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keep Walking

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Thyagarajan, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:‍♀️Keep Walking! :hello:
    The calf muscle in your legs is your second heart.
    Everyone knows that the heart pumps blood, right? But did you know that your body has a second blood pump? It’s your calf muscles! That’s right, the calf muscles in your legs are your second heart!

The human body is engineered such that when you walk, the calf muscles pump venous blood back toward your heart.

The veins in your calf act like a reservoir for blood your body does not need in circulation at any given time.

These reservoir veins are called _muscle venous sinuses._ When the calf muscle contracts, blood is squeezed out of the veins and pushed up along the venous system. These veins have one-way valves which keep the blood flowing in the correct direction toward the heart, and also prevent gravity from pulling blood back down your legs.

Walking or running enables your foot to play a major role in the pumping mechanism of the calves. The foot itself also has its own (smaller) venous reservoir. During the first motion of taking a step, as you put weight on your foot, the foot venous reservoir blood is squeezed out and ‘primes’ the calf reservoir. Then, in the later stages of a step, the calf muscle contracts and pumps the blood up the leg, against gravity. The valves keep the blood flowing in the right direction and prevents gravity from pulling the blood right back down.

Thus, when you are immobile for long periods of time (sitting in an airplane, car seat, or chair for hours) your calf muscle is not contracting much and the blood stagnates.

That’s why walking or running is so good for overall blood circulation. It prevents blood pooling and helps prevent potentially dangerous blood clots called _deep vein thrombosis_(DVT).

Another condition called _venous insufficiency, or venous reflux_ can cause blood to pool in your legs due to the failure of the valves to work properly. In this condition, the valves fail to prevent the backflow of blood down your legs. Symptoms of _venous insufficiency_ can include heavy, tired, throbbing, painful legs, ankle swelling, bulging varicose veins, cramps, itching, restless leg, skin discolouration and even skin ulceration. _Venous insufficiency_ is a very common disorder, affecting over 40 million people in the U.S.

In cases when a person is even more immobile, such as laying in a hospital bed, the pooled blood can become stagnant and develop into a blood clot. This is called a _deep vein thrombosis_ (DVT). DVT can cause leg pain and swelling and is dangerous because a blood clot can break off and travel in your blood stream and get lodged in your lungs.

By Louis Prevosti, MD
    (Forwarded as Received)

Gauri03 likes this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Hello Sir.. I don't know why the conversation was not allowed. May be you have to follow me first for that. I too got the message of conversation not allowed.
    I was looking for your message for long but found one after a long gap. I felt relieved by knowing your well being. I may not message here daily but I keep checking for my IL mates. :blush:
    This thread is informative for me. Didn't knew these things. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Am delighted with Your presence granting a like and response here. It indeed give me a relief of sort: as your responses were not forthcoming since my return here after 3/4 th Nov 21 when I logged here.

I could return and turn active and once again an avid reader only from 3rd Feb 22 when I had received very first “like” from you to my tamil greet to “mother” @omsrisai .

I am glad that you find the share on calf muscles is interesting and informative. But without knowing so much about this, many advise us to walk walk & walk.

At my age in the cacophony of city traffic and since pandemic announced , it is restricted between bed room -hall - kitchen. My spouse is responsible for my active limbs & she won’t allow me to be a mere catalyst? We may walk inside our home over 5k steps. Besides we do calisthenics.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless :tongueclosed:.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    messedup likes this.