1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keep everyone guessing!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chineeya Sir

Your thread has forced me to do introspection as I am a very consistenet person and open too. I totally go with what Indushri has written

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Ur</st1:place></st1:City> post was really an eye- opener for me . I ‘ve decided to be an inconsistent person hereafter ! <st1:City><st1:place>Ur</st1:place></st1:City> words that changed me a lot are :

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ansh
    As I have repeatedly clarified in my replies, consistency is essential in our personal habits and routine. Flexibility is recommended only in our relationship with others including our family, work place, friends etc. There is nothing wrong in striving hard to achieve our goal but it should never be allowed to become an all consuming passion which in turn may force us to go to any length to achieve our goal.
    Sri

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

This thread speaks in volumes. Count me quickly 'IN' amongst inconsistent people. People who live with me also cannot predict what I will be doing next. Sometimes their thought matches with my action and most of the time they fall flat. Nobody can predict what I will be doing next and I love to be inconsistent. When my close associates do figure out some consistency in me, I have a hearty laugh as their prediction was imaginative and I am nowhere closer to what they have sketched about me. For me this is one life and we have to live it in the best ways and not drawing spheres, hexograms and squares of consistence. Keep rambling dear dear Sri.

4. Cheeniya

Dear Mals
    What a great relief to hear that you are as inconsistent as inconsistency can be! I knew all along that a fascinating woman like you can not afford to be consistent. How can a consistent woman be ever fascinating? Right from Cleopatra, this has been the major strength of strong women! Who will want to read a mystery novel if the end is known to him?
    If you must confine your life to any geometrical pattern, a circle is the best. It has no beginning and no end.
    Sri

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

who knew again this is where I will end up going through the pages randomly? And before I go on, let me tell you that I loved what you have said here
    And don't forget all those corners we can get stuck in, in the other geometrical patterns!

The only thing that is consistent with me is my inconsistency and doing whatever things I want to do , where ever and whenever, consistently! You speak of consistency in personal life and sometimes I work hard to get consistency going there too. Ask my DH about it! What fancies me is what I do! Now, now I am not really that bad - I have tried to give consistency to my kids as a mom with their routine (more out of a sense of duty) and the other area I am consistent and like to be consistent is grocery shopping - I don't enter shops I don't know, if the out lay is different from what I am used to, I simply walk out. Who can spend time there when I have so many things to accomplish, inconsistently?

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Srama
    You sound like a tough 'task master'! A couple of months back, I had gone to my favorite Departmental Stores to buy mosquito repellent. On entering the shop, I heard some heated exchanges between a lady of my age and the floor manager. The lady came to pick up some jaggery and went to the shelf where it would be usually stacked. She had a shock of her life when she found there some nondescript item which she never needed instead of her favourite jaggery. She became furious about this unannounced relocation of an item that she came looking for and gave vent to her ire as expressively as possible. The floor manager tried to defend his action by saying that jaggery in the earlier location was attracting a lot of ants besides customers like her and after a lot of deliberation among the staff, it was relocated to a place which the ants could find inaccessible. He further added that he had not foreseen that his decision would affect a few customers too besides all the ants. The exchanges were becoming so heated that it was difficult to make out if the lady was voicing her displeasure for her own sake or for the ants!

From this episode, I could see how a small departure from the routine could make some people insanely furious. I know a lot of people who consistently guard against being consistent! There is a general fear that too much consistency may show us as a bore. But I do agree that this rule is not applicable in select areas like a mom instilling a sense of order and discipline among her children.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Change is the only thing that is consistent. Everything else is inconsistent. We find it monotonous to eat the same food for two days. I do not drink coffee but I have heard people prefer consistency in filter coffee. We can't afford to be in the same place for years. I liked the quote given by one of the IL members earlier in response to a Blog, "we need to run fast, in order for us to be in the same place." Consistency is needed in our prayers, respect for each other, discipline, character, love for kith and kin and so on and everything else in the world is for us to explore differently.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    You have given a clear definition of where consistency is required and where it can be relaxed. Our whole life is composed of two parts. What you have spelled out is the core part where one needs to be very consistent. Your list is almost exhaustive and I do not find much scope for the 'and so on' part. If we extend the list further, consistency is likely to suffer. It is better that our agenda for consistency is kept as minimal as possible.

Only when we have greater area to be inconsistent, we can make our life interesting and enjoyable. The Anchor is used only to keep the boat from rocking. If it becomes heavier than the boat, the boat will sink!
    Sri

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna I dont know whether I understood the meaning of Consistency but I feel earlier I was consistent in giving fbs and now I am consistent in writing everyday in snippets and nominating the best posts.

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

How did I miss reading it before!

Consistency is needed in our values system (even these change from time to time) but some basic values should be consistent (at least that should be the target). We are not like what we were at 10,20 or 30..keep changing views. Our actions are an outcome of that, I guess.

Consistency to some extent in daily routine chores and jobs is needed to make life smooth...things like planning the menu, helping children in their studies and things like that. Things would be smooth (some ups and downs may be there). But that is the bigger picture.

In our relationships, workplace and connectivity with people....these are full of IC. We do change our perspectives, opinions and strategies from time to time or something makes us change. Somewhere a little spark of thought changes the entire scenario..both in small and big things. We plan to be very nice in some situations but when it actually comes we may be rude or when we want to fight with some one a little action of theirs completely changes the scenario...we are joking or chatting. Nobody knows and we ourselves do not know. Human brain is the most inconsistent thing in this world.

Our cricket team...we do not know what is going to happen in the next ball or in the next few minutes and that inconsistency is the beauty of the game and that is the reason why we are glued to see it. In Tennis if one player ones.....for some years he/she is the winner.That is why Tennis audience is so sober, rarely smile and very little applause. Cricket audience or so cheerful and bubbling with energy.

Your ramblings.....they are consistently good but the topics you deal with have such an inconsistency...they keep us always guessing. I joined IL in May 2011 and till December I never visited your forum...was visiting every other section. Accidentally I came to read yours and my appreciation has become consistent.

Thank you for the wonderful snippets.

Syamala

sindmani and iyerviji like this.