Karthikai Deepam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear, dear Radha !

Thankyou for the appreciative F B.
    The tamil lines describe the 6 faces of Arumugan - Karthikeya. Those lines are by Kannadasan.
    Please ask Mohan to read them out, you will enjoy them.
    Happy karthikai, Radha.
    love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful

Dear Chitra,

Enjoyed reading all about the Karthigai Deepam. It was never performed in our house, but I have seen the deepams being lighted shortly after the Deepawali festival in some houses back at home in India. Now I know the full significance of it and the temple scenes ran through my mind and I felt very close to India!
    Secondly, I loved the picture you posted. The kolam and the deepam decorations were extremely tasteful. The pattern and arrangement was delicate..lacy..if you know what I mean.
    I am glad to share with you that America too 'lights up' around this time of the year. Everyone light up their homes for the Advent of Christmas. Some houses look really pretty. We also do it for the sheer fun of it and I shall dedicate my lamps to Karthigai from now on!
    I simply loved the two tired deepam stand which formed the centre peice in the photo.

L, Kamla

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Awesome

Hi chithra,
    Your explanation on karthigai Deepam was awesome. The picture was such a delight to see.Thank you for enlightening us.

Best Regards,
    Aishu.

4. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is your post that reminded me!

Hello Chitvish,

I almost forgot about the Deepam. Back home, I have seen people lighting 2 agals everyday during the month of Karthigai. More agals are lit on the 2 days of deepam. I also remember the 3rd day - kuppai karthigai.

Your posting was a good reminder that I atleast light the agals on Dec 3rd, 4th & 5th.

The photo of light looks very religious. Looks like Karthigai Deepam has already been lit in your home.

Happy Deepam to you!

Regards,
    Induslady

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Two eyes are not enough to enjoy!!

Hi Mrs.Chithra,

Just now, caught this thread and yr picture of deepam/kolam decorations, looks so good. If the Lord sees this, He never leaves yr place just becoz of the Divine Deepams!!!

Happy Karthigai Deepam in advance.

Rgds.

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Very nice explanation...i did not know so much about this festival...glad to be enlightened !And what a divine photo ...like someones has already mentioned, i am sure if HE sees this , he will never leave this place....so beautiful, kolam and decorations....
    Hoping to light up myhouse too, any way here every house is anyway lit up!
    ADVANCE KARTHIGAI WISHES!
    As usual i will get busy on weekends, and will miss out on HOT topics....hope i will be able to log on !

7. Chitvish

My dearest Kamla !

You have, in your typical way sent a F b - the type, only you are capable of, can't help saying !
    The centre one is not a 2-tier deepam ! They are 2 copper deepams in a a copper plate. Sice copper is very shiny, the reflection is very strong ! Infact, they are not traditional deepams at all. Since I love copper, I just bought 2 small cups & put a wick-stand in the centre & lighted as deepams !
    Happy Karthikai, Sujata !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

My dearest Gauri-Aishu !

So, what are the plans for Thalai Karthikai ?
    Next year, it will be in your own house, my young friend ?? All the best.
    Thanks for theF B.
    Happy karthikai.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

I am very happy.....

that you are paticipating in my forum, Malathy !
    From 1st of karthikai month, it is customary to light 2 akals everyday at the entrance in the evening.
    Now of late, we keep 2 akals every day in the month of Markazi, but early in the morning !
    The serenity & beauty of all these customs have to be experienced to appreciate them !
    Thankyou for the F b.
    Happy Karthikai !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Your caption says it all !

The Lord will not leave my house? - ha ha ha - that is what I ultimately want, Ami ! Anyway, He being Sarva Vyapi, will be there in your house as well, don't worry !
    Thanks for your F b.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.