karadayan nonbu

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by kanaka Raghavan, Mar 13, 2007.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

An ideal husband is one who can understand his wife's moments of happiness .sadness .worry,fear and other emotions.He will stand by her come what may.The word kannavan meaning husband in Tamil is derived from the word kan.
    During karadayan nonbu women invoke the blessings of Gowri devi to attain such a husband for all seven births.
    Unmarried girls pray for a good husband and married women pray for their husband.s long life.
    savithri was the daughterof the King Asrapathi.When her father asked her who she wished to marry she pointed to Sathyavanwho lived in the forest.Despite being warned by Narada that he would die within a year of marriage,she married sathayavan.
    IN the jungle Savithri began to pray for her husband.s life.Her offerings were durwa grass and peepal leaves.She performed neivedhyam with wild rice and toor dal. that is kaara arisi and thuvaram parrupu that is why this vratham is known as karadayan nonbu.
    The pe destined last day of Sathayavan dawaned.Savithri stayed by Sathyavan's side.
    The Lord of death came.But he was pleased with her nonbu he wanted to granted her something excepting her husband,s life.Savitiri expressed her desire to be the mother of100 children.
    Yamadharme realized that in order to grant Savitiri's wish he would have spare Sathyavan's life.So he granted her wish to honor her courage and devotion to her husband.So this karayadan nonbu protected her husband.
    Prayers are offered to GowriDevi and women meditate on Savitiri and wear a yellow thread round their neckas they chant the following sloka
    Throram Krishhnami subhake saharitham
    Dharami aham bharthu
    Ayushya Sidhartham supreethabhava sarvadha
    The following is the tamil chant
    Urukaddha Venneyum oradhayam naan nootren
    Orukkalum en kanavar ennai vittu pririyadhirukka vendum
    which means I offer butter and the rice made out of kaara arisi bless me that i live happily with my husband.
    Neivadhayam is made of betel leaves a adai made out of rice and butter.
    O n this occasion let me wish all the ladies a happy karadayan nonbu.As you all know this one is extra special for me.I will include all my friends in my special prayers tomorrow,. yours kanaka raghavan

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kanakaraghavan,
    I understand the special significance,the karadayan nombu holds for you this year. Rest assured you are back to happy & healthy days with your husband.
    Send an extra special thanks to God for his kindness !
    Chant the mangalyashlokam, I have given as well.
    Goddess Menakshi bless you & yours, now & always.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thanks kanakaraghavan for ur wonderful explanation.

and chitra, can u give the link where u posted mangalya stotram, pls

thanks
    san

4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    I was not sure where to post this question so thought this might be the place for doubt. Like Sanravi I have a doubt, should I chant this slokam tomorrow please guide me
    Sarva mangaLa maangalyae s(h)ivae sarvaarththa saadhakae
    S(h)araNyae thryambikae gowri naaraayaNi namo(a)sthuthae

If there are more can you please guide me appropriately. Thanks in advance Chitra.
    Love,

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sanravi, Radha & Vandana,
    Both shlokams, V has given the link for & the one Anjana has mentioned are auspicious to be chanted daily & particularly for nombu.
    Let me ask you something. It is customary to worship Kamakshi Amman today for nombu. If you are interested, I can post a 5 verse Kamakshi Shloka, which I do not find on the net. It is a very powerful shloka for brilliance, auspiciousness , soumangalyam etc.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chithra

Please post the Kamakshi Shloka that u have mentioned, I would love to chant it tomorrow along with the other slokams u have mentioned.

Thanks in advance
    Love and regards
    Priya

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ms C,

Please do post the kamakshi amman slokam. I would love to chant it tomorrow too and am sure all the rest of us will too.

Vandhana

9. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,
    Your post was very informative,I enjoyed reading it.
    Regards,
    Meenu

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi il's

I also take the opportunity to wish you all a good nombu. btw, the timings has not been mentioned by anyone. so it would be nice if someone gives the timings. i was told 7.30-8.00 p.m. is it correct.

love,
    shanthi