1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kanyadaan should stop??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Jhilmill, Nov 25, 2014.

1. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

none at all from me! thanks for your post- it helps to understand the origins and meaning of this ritual. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

You're welcome for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks anyday, sokanasanah - just give me 10 minutes notice ;-) !!!
    (Note that I dont shorten to soka (sorrow) but type the whole name sokanasanah (Destruction of sorrows))

I tell this stuff to my culture class kids, I weave it into the stories and sloka meanings, so they dont ask for sources (And that makes me confident to talk about 'vedic' stuff) ha ha ha

This year's jandyala pournami my son's sacred thread was changed at my parents place along with my dad and brother's, so the poojari there told my dad - your daughter's son will be of much more benefit to you than your son's son :) but he also hinted at me to have a daughter :hide:

Yeah YM, we were very liberal - Really - when we study the bhagavatam and our scriptures, I feel macaulay and the british education has done us grave injustice - at least the muslim invaders just raped and pillaged and took the gold and left - of course they did have social implications and woman's status suffered, but the british have made us totally hollow and empty from inside by making us reject our spiritual identities !!!

6 people like this.
  3. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

I think many of these traditions and rituals are subject to personal belief, interpretation & choice, and thus this subject is sensitive to questioning. How one chooses to get married (traditional/non-traditional) is one's own business and shouldn't be up for debate as such.

Changing mindsets is a different ballgame. Having said that, I believe that mindset and outlook of people is changing with each progressive generation, owing to much wider exposure and rapidly changing social dynamics.

I wouldn't put in-laws of my grandparent's generation in the same mindset bracket as those of my own in-laws who are much younger, more educated thus with a relatively more modern outlook, just like so many other newly minted in-laws are these days.

Though I agree that people of oppressive or extreme views have existed in every generation and still do. But I would assume that most of the younger lot of parents, in-laws and children do not view such rituals in a typically archaic or regressive light as some of their elders did.
    Neither do many of the present-day parents of girls think that they are actually & literally giving away their daughters as 'daan' or charity to their husbands & in-laws. Nor are a majority of modern day girls so demure & naive to believe that.

Just like we have many wonderful well meaning posters here wanting to change and break out of the oppressive & regressive social set-up, I'm sure they know & appreciate that many like them exist in the real world as well.

4. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

agree. the slow erosion of cultural identity has a far reaching implications on the future of that society.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Yes and that (destruction of our legacy and spiritual and cultural and philosophical identity) by the goras was the single most powerful thing they employed against us. Today you find indians parroting westernized views as though those views are God's gift to mankind and somehow they (west) are more developed and indian views are regressive - i dont think there is greater BS than that. But the goras have done a fantastic job of planting that in our head!

2 people like this.
  6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

2-1
    10-1
    9-7

Page#11 , that's it now or never!
    Page#20, O'dear pitch the spiel, bullseye, what are you waiting for?

You thought you were the only one reconnoitering this thread. The depraved speculators and the dissolute croupier on the betting! "Soka's entrance imminent buy credit , wager, lost, topped up, small windfall on the English intercession, parlayed, lost everything and egressed.

Cor! What do I find! 3 posts! Let me cash my chips and return.

(More details on the underbelly activities on this thread can be sent on demand)

You may wager on-the-run 20-6 of recovering my password.

7. adimad

adimad Silver IL'ite

Totally agree with you OP. This must stop. Getting rid of kanyadaan will definitely go a long way in starting to bring about a positive change.