Kali Bari Mandir

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Shireen88, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Shireen88

Shireen88 New IL'ite

A stone’s throw from Birla Mandir to the right is the much smaller but quite popular temple devoted to the Goddess Kali. Especially dear to the Bengali community of Delhi, Kali Bari Mandir in Delhi is the centre of celebration during the festival of Durga Puja held every October. Since Kali is believed to be the manifestation of Durga in her most terrifying, warlike avatar, liquor is offered to the goddess in this temple.

Has anyone visited This Kali Bari Mandir?

2. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Nice to find post which reminds of old memories.

Kali Bari Mandir to Goddess Kali. It is relatively small in size and quite unpretentious in its design.

it is true that the temple holds special significance for the Bengali people residing in the city, especially at the time of Durga Puja, held in the month of October-November every year. During that time, the temple becomes the center for celebrations and is flooded by devotees of all ages, in large numbers.

A massive Peepal tree grows inside the temple and is considered to be quite sacred.

have anyone got some memories to share..

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi Keerat
    The Kali Mandir at Gole Market is one of the oldest Kali Mandirs in New Delhi. I think the oldest Kali Mandir is the Tis Hazari Kali Mandir.
    The Gole Market Kali Mandir has a special significance for the Bengali community of Delhi and nearby areas. The complex also houses a Shiva Lingam. In addition, there is a Auditorium, Library, as well as very reasonably priced accomodation. It is still the first port of call for Bengalis who have just arrived in the city and need time to find a place of their own.
    The Durga Puja celebrations at Kali Bari still has an aura of its own. Every year, renowned artists from Kolkata come to perform at the Kali Bari.
    :cheers

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Hi!

My family used to live in the Gol Market area in Delhi many years ago and we (my family) would visit the Kali Bari temple regularly. I am a DurgaMaa Bhakt and this temple holds special memories for me. Any pics you can upload would be lovely to refresh my mind...
    Thanks,
    Jai Bhavani Maa!

Padma

5. Shireen88

Shireen88 New IL'ite

I am really glad to hear that Padma. Dont you think Sometimes these things and memories helps us to keep strong in times when we are troubled? Well I have one pic.. Hope it helps you.

[​IMG]