1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kaleidoscope!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Sep 9, 2015.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

To start with, this was one of my childhood fantasies - to own a kaleidoscope and see it during the night, pointing it towards a glowing bulb. This raised a big desire in me and I longed for one. At that point of time, it costed about Rs. 10-/- and that was a big amount [No, I am not that old, I remind you!]. Besides, the idea of making one all by ourselves caught up like wild fire and we went and searched for broken glass bangle pieces and anything that was colorful. As usual, our attempts stopped soon as we fancied something else, but it was so good while it lasted.

I got a kaleidoscope too though I don't remember when. And I was glued to it from the first minute, seeing various amazing patterns, some of which I could still recollect. The tube was made of long and thick paper sheets, with a tapering end. To my dismay, the papers started peeling off, later on. But what I saw, made a difference to me. I used to cover the other side [farther from the eye] with a black sheet, partially first and fully later on and experimented a lot. The quick rearrangement of the colored glass pieces in myriad patterns intoxicated me to an extent that I soon lost trace of everything, including myself. Unable to differentiate whether a particular pattern was already seen or not, I just remained there. The second and third day, I got that sorted out, and could very well count the finite number of patterns that formed within, though hoping to be proved wrong. But the very idea of such a vast pattern collection was still leaving me engrossed.

Now when I look back [a classic trait of those that are getting old, you may say!], I see an amazing similarity. My life too, had just been a collection of events through which I could spot patterns that emerged. I smiled. Viewing the past is always a good exercise provided, you do that without any specific foregone conclusion. Sometimes the best way to come out of a mental block is to look at it from a distance, like an observer. I know its difficult, but that worked for me earlier. What is life if we are not going to laugh at our own follies later?

What I could get from this exercise, was something that I didn't anticipate. I could clearly see what I missed earlier, even after running those occasions earlier. I could then see beyond what I saw and grasped earlier and understood the reasons for my own actions better. It was like removing the black sheet from the other end of the kaleidoscope. I wanted to experiment more and tried looking for some patterns for my oncoming events. Sounds crazy, right? But what I wanted to do is to run all options for my response to an oncoming event about which I had a good idea. I know that this is dangerous, as it pushes you to have a perception before getting in to it and clearly saw that this comes handy in tackling problems at work. But another part of me, clearly said that this won't really work on a personal scale, because of my own emotional involvement in it, where my response would then be conditional, not spontaneous and from the heart, which is how it should be. Again I got lost in the patterns that were rushing inside, teasing, evolving, embracing and finally leaving like night dew when sun comes.

Yes, here and there I could see gray spots or streaks, but I felt that I was always helped when I was in dire straits, for which I am grateful to everyone and that special one above. As I delved in to this more and more, I realized that I was looking for trees, but not getting the forest. One look above on a clear night sky filled me to such a brimming extent that the tears of joy fell down. That magical carpet had that golden orb and countless bright many colored eyes twitched and turned a bit every now and then, weaving numerous patterns on the fly!

I went back rejuvenated, grateful and smiling - Yes, like one of those everlasting patterns I saw!

12 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

RGS dear nice starting with kaleidoscopic and then comparing it with your life. I would have nominated your thread but what to do I have already finished my nominations. But I am sure someone will nominate. All the best for that

Going back to our past brings sweet memories, but they are memories only they wont come back. In life there is always a change, from childhood till the last. Each time we have different experiences

In IL also we had so many members who are not active now and miss them so much and also we have so many new members and they are also great writers and they have already won the finest post and I am glad that my nominated post are also winners

RGS dear I will come back later I stopped here because as always I wanted to give the first fb and I saw Kamalji's like so stopped here

2 people like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viji Madam for your first feedback and like. I am happy that this thread was worthy enough for your nomination.
    "Going back to our past brings sweet memories, but they are memories only they wont come back. In life there is always a change, from childhood till the last. Each time we have different experiences"
    I really liked these lines above. Lovely! Thanks specially for that. -rgs

4. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@rjsrinivasan sir great comparison between a kaleidoscope and life. yes its true as kaleidoscope have many colour patterns in it as so our life with all the colours of emotions like anger ,love ,kindness ,happiness, sadness, rights , wrongs, ........etc forming different patterns in our life too.
    after attaining certain stage as we look back at the past it reflects us with all the memories of good and the fouls we have done in our life and also methods to refine our thoughts.
    its true every one will have a memory of our own foolishness in one situation or the other that brings a smile on our face. when we think about them we rehearse the situation in which way we could be better at that time. and even its true this rehearsals wont be helping us in our future. every situation demands its own way of output.

I am very glad to read this post.

2 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

Your snippet is very well written comparing Kaleidoscope with life. You brought wonderful memories of my childhood playing with Kaleidoscope watching innumerable patterns using broken bangles, bindis and whatever we can get hold of. I remember the days we have created a triangle with three separate rectangle-shaped mirrors put together and one triangle-shaped small mirror piece. I used to wrap it up with black paper, cardboard sheet and then color sheet outside to make it a professional Kaleidoscope.

When we do introspection, we clearly see a pattern in our behavior and temperament when we analyze many years of our interaction with people. It helps to find out the common thread behind our temperament and behavior and eliminate what we really don't like in that pattern at least for future.

When I read Rick Warren't book, "Purpose driven life" a thought came to my mind that it is definitely possible to find out the purpose of our lives by analyzing and interpreting our stream of thoughts, the words spoken and a serious of actions performed in the past. We have the Vasanas from our prior lives and we don't understand the stream of thoughts arising out of it unless we understand the life's purpose. Similarly, unless we understand our thoughts, we don't understand the life's purpose. It is a vicious circle. It helps us not to resist but satisfy it so that we can focus on what is good for us in the long run. If only we can learn why we were created, the life would become a lot easier. The most difficult thing in life to do is to understand about ourselves than understanding others or facing the troubles we encounter. If we can find a solution to resolve this issue, everything will fall in place.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,
    A great snippet!

When we studied about prisms, refraction of light, rainbow etc in 8th Std, we were taught about kaleidoscope also.I broke the new glass bangles bought for eight Annas and made a kaleidoscope and got a nice beating when I showed off with empty hands.It was a pastime just turning the kaleidoscope enjoying various designs and patterns.
    Amma scolded us'you cannot spend your life like this.Life cannot be changed by a twist of hand as you do in kaleidoscope.You have to make lot of efforts even if you want to bring a small change.
    I phoo phooed Amma's advice and simply enjoyed until one day my mother threw away the kaleidoscope.

As I grew older I could understand the significance of perception as revealed in kaleidoscope.

Turn the kaleidoscope clockwise and see a wave of geometric shapes and a windmill of blues and greens. Twist it the other way and find yourself staring at a completely different pattern of reds and yellows.there are different angles to find a solution to a problem. Sometimes a small change in perception, a small change in the line of treatment, a small change in pattern of financial investments may bring astonishingly good results.

As RGS has perceived the pattern may be funny yet complex and more meaningful.That is how we learn from anxieties and agonies,trials and turbulances.Our life is full of such ups,downs and curves which we must know to appreciate.

But it is essential that simple viewing may not work, unless viewing turns into perception and perception is made into reality.

Kaleidoscope reminds us that while we are busy and busy always we should have a quality time for you and your family and that little amt of relaxation means a lot for your spouse and family.
    Kaleidoscope induces the necessary self confidence.When everything falls out of hands and no light is seen, the memory of kaleidoscope gives you a ray of hope that by a tilt your fortune may turn in your favour.

As we go deep into study of human brain, we understand the significance of patterns in kaleidoscope. Brain works in patterns.The symptoms of diseases have patterns. The rsults of I. Q. show a pattern.

The pattern recognition is an interesting field of study in sociology.This helps to study the behaviour of rapists, of people becoming drug addicts or about persons having suicidal tendencies.
    The pattern science helps in advertising and marketing by analysing similar patterns in survey studies.
    During floods and storms ,the weather patters warn health workers about the onset of epidemics.

Biochemists, for example, search for patterns in amino acids as elements for understanding the functions of a strand of DNA, and then the patterns of those strands combine to produce the patterns formed by larger strands, then by chromosomes, then by the entire genome.

Whether it is election results, pre poll survey or post poll survey--we see they are able to guess to the nearest point the scope of victory or defeat.It is this pattern study that enabled our RBI Governor Rajan predict the great economic downfall in US some 8 years back.

The game Chess is essentially played on the basis of pattern recognition.

This pattern analysis helps a lot in investigating crimes of a particular pattern and get at the crime group easily.Some thieves can do only pick pocketing, some develop expertise in stealing car accsessories, some take away cell phones and computers and yet another group becoming experts in handling ATM machines.

Kaleidoscope is not a mere toy to relax but indicative of so many psychological, sociological, legal and investigative sciences.It is no longer an accumulation of broken glass bangles but a basic scientific principle l to teach you what life is.

Dear RGS, a wonderful snippet that made me introspect a lot. I consider it worthy of being nominated as the finest post.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations RGS dear as I told you someone will nominate this thread, @Viswa and @Jayasala42 have nominated this thread. A worthy nomination indeed

1 person likes this.
  8. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

sorry a small correction in my post its not rights its rites.

9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Nice Snippet RGS with wonderful contribution from @jayasala42 mam. Enjoyed the snippet and the FBs.

1 person likes this.
  10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Great comparison between life and kaleidoscope, Rgs!

How I wish we enjoy life the way we spend our time with a kaleidoscope - fascinated by every pattern it throws at random. I suppose the only similarity there is when we lose a pattern that we like and can't recreate it, there is pain at the loss, much like something we like and enjoy in our life which can't be brought back or be held on to, and all that is left is memories (that fade away). But we must take respite in the fact that patterns will change, and so will any phase in our lives - they must change....mmm.... makes u want to introspect doesn't it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Btw, recently I found a kaleidoscope in a shop after such a long time that I had to buy it for myself :)

2 people like this.