1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kabhie Kabhie - A classic example of male chauvinism?

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by ns, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ns

ns Silver IL'ite

I decided to watch the epic, Kabhie Kabhie, the other day. This was towards my quest to watch the best Bollywood movies of all times. Even though I do not enjoy romance movies anymore, I wanted to watch this classic.

I wanted to give up on the movie several times while watching it. I found the dialogues so sugary and flowery and the pace of the movie utterly slow.

But what ticked me off the most was extreme male chauvinism displayed by Amitabh Bacchan’s character. Screen character Amit Malhotra has not forgotten his first love, Pooja while she has moved on with her life. Amit has gone ahead to marry Anjali, has a daughter,whom he adores, with her but he doesn’t love Anjali. The latter lives in a suffocating marriage – all the time waiting for her husband to show some respect, affection towards her. But nope, Amit harbours the love of his ex in his heart and remains sullen at home. To top it all, he discovers that Anjali has an illegitimate daughter. He hates her even more.

Even after it is apparent that Amit still loves Pooja. He still has the face to berate the woman who tries so hard to win his love. The woman who disowned her daughter long ago to start afresh with this man.

I wanted to shake her up. Why did she just sob and not fight back? She had all the right, didn’t she? Why didn’t she answer back and question him about his love for Pooja? Why didn’t she ask himabout the indifference he had toward her even before he knew about the illegitimate child?

What is shown in 1976 happens even today. Men get away with anything, but women are the ones who are condemned, questioned and pointed fingers at. Men can have relationships and it is perfectly okay. But a woman is expected to be clean. Men can marry as lateas they want and they can still claim to be eligible bachelors but if a woman remains unmarried post 30, something is wrong with her.

I can go on and on with this harsh unjust truth. We feminists can holler about this all we want but is thatgoing to make a difference? Have things changed between 1976 and 2013? Do we see a sea change happening in the future? Will people’s attitudes towards women change? And I mean, really change?

I think, not completely. Never. Maybe just kabhie kabhie.

What do you think?