1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

kaalan illatha kaalam

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by ganges, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

When my son was in the fouth standard, he had one poem in malayalam II which is compulsary for non malayalam students. First language will be sanskrit. The poem titled kalanillattha kaalam was written by A great poet called Kunjan Nambiar in malayalam.

The poem describes about the situation if there is no kaalan that is yama. It goes like when nobody dies all the elders will become very old and small, and soon every house will be crowded with people. So the too tiny old people will start living in the utharams- wooden cielings, Patthayams-place to store grains etc. Even tens, hundreds, thousands kilo of rice will not be sufficient to serve one round to everybody. Soon there will not be any space, any food to eat.....etc etc. Today I read that one of the Ilite has lost her mother who is not very old. I was upset and thought that if there is no death how happy everybody will be. Suddenly I remembered this poem which I taught to my son some 25 years back.

2. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

sorry aunty its a mistake please delete this comment

3. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Ganga aunty
    Those poems by Kunjan nambiar are really hilarious.I think you have enjoyed another one explaining the manerisms of a hungry husband when the food is not ready.He is such a great poet.
    Regarding kalan illatha kalam ,I think the period will never happen.With medicines and technologies we are able to increse the average life period of individuals but mother nature adjust the number game with natural calamities and accidents.So the kalan has changed taste from old chaps to considerably young and those with more responsibilities of life.
    thanks for the thought for today

4. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Meenu,

I loved your first fb to me. Ya. This one of kunjan nambiar never goes from our heart even after somany years. I dont remember the other one. Seems to be interesting. Will you tell atleast the heading of the poem. I love to read vallathols too. thanks.

ganges

5. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    What a lovely story ! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Sometime ago I saw an old movie in which two characters get the boon of immortality. Without Death they go on living forever, experiencing so many sorrows and practical difficulties that they start begging for death. It was a comedy film , but makes one think.

6. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear TL

Thank you for your FB. We feel sad when we loose somebody, but I saw many old people, unable to bear that they are old or helpless. wish to die.
    Its all mother natures play.

ganges

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

ganges

As much as I agree about how the world would have been with no YamRaaj, but again it is painful to loose a loved one....even for gods..

Nice of you to explain that malayalam poem in detail here

8. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

I agree with you dear. We are ordinary human beings and we feel for our loved once. That was for just make up our mind. that s all. Actually I was upset hence I wrote this to get some shanthi.

thank you

9. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Hi
    Its nice that you shared the imagination of the poet

10. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Hi raba,

thank you dear. Hey your avatar is quite interesting. Very cute.

ganges