1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

K/1st grade how to teach numbers 100 to 1000

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by chaaral, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Do we have to teach first ones, tens then go on to numbers starting from 100 or first teach the numbers and then teach the place value?

what all do u teach for your kids K or 1st grade? i have taught numbers till 100. he finds it confusing after 100. i have started greater than and less than numbers and started with basic addition. what else do u teach?

do u follow any books? here in school they dont have any books nor do they tell what they teach.

thanks!

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chaaral,

Actually gone are the days when you taught the kids upto 100 in one stretch.

my son was taught upto 10 and then taught simple additions and substractions and greater than..to understand all about the units place..then 10 to 20. after that he understood how to write 30-100..of course with the help of the teacher, parents and lots of activities revolving around the same. by the time he completed 100, he knew the logic behind the progression.

I feel this is the best way.

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Hi chaparral

Relax, I think your son is a first child for you, that's why you are so tense to teach him everything fast.

Be gradual, otherwise the kid will start hating it, unless of course your son himself is too interested to learn.

I agree with shanvy, nowadays, they do addition with 2 digit numbers, subtraction, then regrouping (carry forward addition and subtraction), then same thing with 3 digit.

Infact my dd is in 2nd grade, they have not yet started with 3 digit yet. I think gradually they will pick up.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Chaaral,

I would think you can introduce higher numbers (or at least the concept of higher numbers) without actually waiting to teach place value etc. At this age kids can understand "patterns", So if he already knows 1-100, you can teach counting by 100s - 200, 300, etc and show how the same 1-100 pattern repeats.

Again at this age the concept and being able to relate to it is more important than precision and accuracy.

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi

work on 'skip counting' in the 100s...100. 200 300...your kid has probably done 5s, 10s and 2s by now. once he gets the hundreds, he can repeat the pattern of 1-99 with the multiples of hundred....
    r

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi and Radhika,
    yeah understood abt the new way of teaching, we were doing 1 to 20 only for a while and then one day i saw him writing till 80 on his own. he has been seeing the 1 to 100 chart and counting. he is good with simple addition, greater than and less than. we do counting in 2,5 and 10s, he wants something new and gets bored with same thing. i dont have to struggle teaching him and make him understand , as long as he is in good mood he picks up fast. so i wanted to encourage him and give him something more challenging.
    I haven't taught him after 100 but he can read the price tag in stores which are in 3 digits. so wanted to move on.
    i am thinking of doing simple subtraction. and may be wait for place value.
    we have been doing simple counting and addition for almost many months now.
    But this new way of teaching is really far better and good.

7. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Pavarun and teacher,
    Thankyou, will try it, now doing simple subtractions and he is occupied. i need to give him something everyday or else he will watch tv. as long as he has some activities to do he is fine.what kind of books do u follow? i got brainquest and thinking abt scott foresman math books?

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    Instead of workbooks, how about more opportunities to play? (You may be doing this already...ignore this if it is redundant). All of elementary is about learning concepts and the school does this anyway. You can set aside a chunk of time just to inculcate independent study habits (which pays off in middle and high) and to reinforce the concepts learnt. set aside a larger chunk for play-both free play and organized sports...perhaps blocks and other manipulatives or building models, cooking activities, etc...kids use a lot of math concepts in their play..
    r

9. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks R. yeah we have been doing some themes, have to get more creative i guess.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

chaaral,

there are lots of work sheets, available on the net that emphasize on application of mathematics. I have used them long long ago..though some of my favorite sites are no more..and when it comes to cd's i like jumpstart's series pre-kg to 6th grade..they are informative and also edutaining.