1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

just want to wean my 15 months old DD badly

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sidrasmom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Tikka,
    U sure have a great point - This is what happened with DS.. he self weaned even his night feeds vn he was 14 months... he used to sleep without needing any mid night feeds, though i felt guilty tat i had weaned him so early... (i was workin then - so no choice on morning feeds)
    Vn DS was below one year, he used to gulp the full bottle, however his apetite was - but would ultimately puke whole stuff out when he burps - this was a regular pattern and he never used to say no when it comes to bottle feeds - may be he didnt know how to ask us to stop or he used it as a pacifier :(
    Around 1 - 1.5yrs, he learned to say 'yuck' and turn his face away vn he is done with empting how much he wants... He rarely asks for mid night feeds and only then and before noon nap i give him bottle (just to keep tat habit handy for travel times) - otherways its just in his own cup and with this too he know how much he wants and would stop once he is done...

Poonam,
    With ur case i can see tat she drinks watever u give and does not throw up, so am really not sure if u r over feeding her... as long as she is happy, u can relax is what i feel.. JMO

OP,
    Sorry for deviating the thread - I dnt have any suggestions on weaning morning feeding as mine happened gradually since i was working - in my case DS stopped on his own - i think he was ready for it then and never demanded it from me afterwards

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

miasen, DD nods and and will keep on nodding indicating a NO wen she is done.. :) during nights if she is done, she just pushes bottle away,
    does teh same for solids too, NO wen she is done

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Poonam,

my 7.5 month DS also sleeps better (and longer) when top fed with a bottle (of expressed milk) after being BFed. Since I work full time and an unable to be a sane woman waking up every 2 hours at night, we have been following this practice of bottle feed before going to bed. He still wakes up at night, mostly for comfort than hunger.... and on some nights does tht more often :(

Tej

4. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Thankyou ladies for valuable suggestions
    Today a small miracle happened ( atleast for me).As Pon suggested DD was very hungry and throwing her fits for milk.I made milk and poured in bottle and gave it to my DH.i went to the bedroom ,closed the door and sat inside.DH calmed her and put the bottle in her mouth.Out of hunger she started drinking,I gave 4 oz she drank 2 oz out it.Very less but i am very happy today
    Thanks a lot guys !!
    Tonight i am planning to sleep in hall and lets see how the night goes.Will tell you in detail though sometimes her fits are un managable by DH but let me check one night.

I am so relieved.This whole time i was trying the bottle may be thats y she was not drinking.Please pray night also goes well

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sidrasmom, told ya, some babies do take bottle from others but not momma... this is a small beginning, hope things fall in place for u!

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

Even DS slept better when given a bottle at night...Until 8 months he woke up twice for feedings..But figured at one of his feedings he was really not hungry..So I just used to rock him and put him to sleep again...After I did that for about 2 weeks he totally stopped during that feeding..Now he wakes up only once and sometimes none at all...

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Consistency is the key...Just don't try for one night and give up...Since she is older she will need time to break the habit of breastfeeding...So if it is working when DH offers the bottle, then have him offer the bottle for couple of nights...Eventually she will take it...Just keep doing it then after few nights she WILL get the point that she has to take the bottle...

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

You schedule looks just perfect for me...DS had the same schedule @ 9 months...Now @ 10.5 months he is eating more solids (quantity wise), eating more snacks and drinking 3-4 bottles (5-6 Oz) of formula (total of 18-22 OZ of formula)

There is nothing wrong in getting your DD at a schedule..Infact it is very good for her....So good job momma :thumbsup

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

thanks for the thumbs up sudha.:)
    its just that scheduling her helps all of us, DH me and the baby.... i just note on his sticky pad as to wat the baby has to get wat time wen i am not around. it works perfectly, and now z understands the schedule too!

its not that i dont want to breastfeed her at night, i wld if she is hungry and i still do at timesO(during spurts etc ,but i know most times its just that she needs a little rocking patting,thats all :). u know till the onset of 8th month i wld feed her to put her to sleep everytime she got up, which is wen i realised maybe she isnt really getting up coz she is hungry!

10. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Yeah I agree..Once they grow older and getting enough solids/milk during day, every wake up at night is not for feeding...

Scheduling the baby is very important specially when they start eating more solids. It helps the baby on a routine which is very important for them to learn as they grow older..LO's need to learn that you eat, play and sleep at certain times and not whenever possible (of course certain deviations are acceptable)

Again good work Momma :thumbsup