1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just Saying

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 11, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

A fairly recent YouTube news channel goes from place to place to discuss the political atmosphere in various cities. I love watching the series. It is good to see the common person on the street getting an opportunity to share his/her views and perspectives. A person starts talking. The journalist wants to give the next person a chance to talk. The first person is not willing to let go. He talks of everything starting from a certain 'religious' woman who is fighting the elections against a politician who was one of those who sent her to jail. The talk is centred around this lady, the good she has done, the good she has promised to do, to religion etc. Coming to the point, nobody really comes to the point of the journalist's questions. Everyone wants to see themselves on camera and wants to dominate the conversation. During this time there are others who are hanging around waiting for their turn for some sound bytes.

I am travelling by auto. Somebody just jumps the lights and almost hits the auto. The roads are virtually non existent. Me, my back and my bad ankle are being taken for an adventure ride in preparation for the days when humanity will move to the moon. I just grumble about the state of the roads. That is enough. I am a willy nilly captive audience (unless I want to jump out of a moving vehicle) to the rantings about various politicians or a detailed political analysis of the political fortunes of Karnataka by the rickshaw driver.

They talk and they talk and they talk. In fact this is the only topic people like to talk a lot about. Catch anybody wanting to talk to you about food, birds, some nice comedy show etc. Moral of the story:

1. We Indians are a deeply frustrated lot and love to vent about the state or non-state of politics - state as well as central

2. The title "The talkative Indian" was spot on! Hats off to the author for his astute observation. Though it does not take an Einstein to realize it within 2 hours of being on the streets of this country.

Last edited: May 11, 2019

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Thanks for timely post.
    Any commercial activity in urban cacophony is considered a golden opportunity and political awareness or the lack of it is enough for the money to flow hither and thither.

2. Autos are engaged with recorded speech through the city traffic and gullies make good of the day. Whether they drive on the so called urban roads or in rural streets, the objective of propaganda vehicle driver is not on the bystanders or passengers in other vehicles but covering maximum area in minimum time and claim as per total mileage start and end.
    3. I wonder how you could get hire an auto in election propaganda hour!
    But the driver of auto hired would have also given taste of impassioned speech on behalf of his party his person and you ought to have thanked him making you more knowledgeable.
    4. There are certain followers by hearted the speech uttered several times in public and media are indefatigable even in their sleep they kept speaking the speech! That is not only Karnataka state. But almost every voter is able to say his or her views some in hushed tone, some loudly to drag others into it, and even som more discuss who is less corrupt who could be voted or not to any one...
    5. God this is mind boggling democratic activity of talking talking and one should take care as he or she listens mind ankle limb and other body parts.
    Regards.

God loves democracy in all domains.

Urmila and satchitananda like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam Satchitananda,
    This is election season. So everyone ,especially auto and taxi drivers talk about it. Once the results are out, the talk will be about the fraudulent means by which a party has won.
    Later another topic will come.
    Man is a social animal. He has to talk. If he is very calm, he will be called grumpy or morose; if he talks about himself we say he is beating his own trumpet. ;If he talks about others we say he is a gossip monger or talkative.

Though many people pretend not to interfere in others' matters,there seems to be an inner urge to know the details.I don't know whether there is any silent pleasure about it?
    Perhaps our minds are brimmed with lakhs of materials that we want to get relieved by passing on to others.
    Even our epics Ramayana and mahabharat are abound in such talks, and one such talk by a washerman drove Rama to send the pregnant Sita in exile.

But it is old wine in new bottle. Autowallahs talk to customers.But we talk to our friends through snippets, chats and group mails.The gossiping has taken a new avatar of'chat ' 'sharing thoughts' and has coolly occupied the central stage of every home just as the old cold rice pot in a corner of the kitchen in olden days has taken an incarnation of refrigeratotr, a dumping yard of all cooked items prepared even a week ago.
    If you analyse well, many talkative people are scholars or veterans or the most intelligent people having a thirst for knowledge.The talks which seem healthy to a set of people may be unnecessary topics to be others who are disinterested.Loko Bhinnaruchihi.
    These talks before elections may have considerable impact leading to land slide victory or defeat.Gossip in stock markets may drown the investors or any evil talk about a girl/boy may ruin his/ her future.
    But such wild talks have the positive side too.We can have some warning or caution.Sometime the talks about merger or downsizing of a company may guide the employees to polish their resumes and try for alternate employment.Suppose a police inspector travels by various autos,during investigation of a big crime,the talk by different drivers may give him a clue and it will be a shrewd method of investigation.
    What I feel is talking about various things is an inherent strength/weakness of every human being and does not pertain to Indians alone.As long as human beings are there we cannot avoid talking/listening/
    responding.
    Instead of complaining about the unavoidable talking,we can train ourselves to live among such talks,identify the talks/gossips as what to care and what to ignore, guided by common sense.

It is learnt that the word'gossip' has derived from 'God-sib( related to God)modified later as gossip.I shall try to live with this gossip ,keeping safe limits.

Jayasala 42

Thyagarajan, satchitananda and Urmila like this.
  4. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

A843C4A3-5834-494C-9F4D-1EF06AF5EC23.jpeg

We are all social animals and enjoy talking and communicating a lot. I came across this article and came to know the following.

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:About talk you had talked here weighing merits and demerits and its prequels and sequels as in police investigstion and stock markets.
    2. It reminds me of Tamil Saint Thiruvalluvar's sonnet-
    Just as the earth that bears the man who tills and digs it, to bear those who speak ill of them , is a quality of the highest respect.”
    So they talk , voters pretend listening and look for agents who come with perk or perks.
    3. Enjoyed reading both sides of the coin.
    Thanks & Regards.
    God never elects a deaf & dumb to turn statesman.

6. satchitananda

7. satchitananda

Please don't mistake me. This is not complaining. This is like the tltle suggests "Just saying". It is just an observation of people and how they talk and what they talk about. It is certainly very interesting to get to know the perspectives of the man (as well as woman) on the street. One also cannot help notice that Indians do not allow another person to complete what they say. They keep interrupting and some insist on having a monologue. That I believe is something which is quite typical of India.

SpringB and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. satchitananda

Hahaha, that's good one. What!!! 8 hours! Wonder whether anyone was left awake by the end of the speech!!!

Urmila likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:About talk you had talked here weighing merits and demerits and its prequels and sequels as in police investigstion and stock markets.
    A true state of affairs in all parts on the country - India & perhaps some other Nations too.
    Regards.
    God bless.