1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just An Emotional Crap-the Living Dead

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 3, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Just an emotional crap-the living dead.

Wars happen between and among nations because that is one way of settling disputes.

There is the history of 100 years of war in Europe and the history of two world wars behind us. Bombs were used in the second world to end all wars but that did not stop Indo- China war of 1962, Indo- Pakistan wars of 1965 and 1971. Add to that Vietnam, Korea, Iraq, Iran, Syria and many more. In fact wars have not stopped only the scale has come down.

Then came the apostle of peace Mahatma Gandhi who proved that non violence was the alternative. He was followed by Martin Luther King.Jr., Nelson Mandela and others. It appeared there was a way of settling disputes peacefully by communicating with each other, nations, groups or individuals.

But no! So there will be wars, violence will raise its head every now and then.

My point is not about wars or violence and their justification. My concern is about the victims of war and violence. Again my concern is not about the dead but about the living- the bodily and emotionally damaged one. They are worse than the dead.

They are on both side of the fence-the civilians and the soldiers who survive the wars. This is to be seen to be believed. Thousands of people including soldiers maimed, moaning in pain. Thousands of people and soldiers emotionally distressed. Soldiers returning from battle grounds after causing death of innocent people particularly children are real victims. Some of them take to drugs and alcohol to forget that trauma. The feeling of guilt keeps them awake all the time. The only consolation is the thought that they did so to protect the motherland or fatherland. The nation salutes them, builds memorials in their name and helps them for life.

But what about those who they killed or maimed?

Then there is violence in day to day life leading to murders or permanent disability. Again the concern is not about the dead and the culprit in jail with life imprisonment or awaiting death. The concern is about the living.

Again if I go a little further I find:

The judge: who passes the judgment for death sentence.

The Security guards: guarding the prisoner awaiting death.

The Executioner: one entrusted with the job of putting the prisoner to death.

Do they sleep well or take it in their stride as a duty to be performed? Does their conscience prick? They say time is a big healer. May be, because life has to go on. Those who are left behind cannot live in perpetual grief. But time does not work as a healer for those who were maimed physically and mentally. They live in horror for life fighting with the trauma and emotional distress.

Let us discuss.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    We think time is a healer. Grief may become blunt but never disappears completely. Blackness remains forever. Yes, but life goes on..... It has to go on. Is there an alternative? No.
    Yes, you are absolutely right Those who were maimed physically and mentally.... Can never get out of the trauma.
    Syamala

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Please read the story of Ahmadullah, an Executioner
    Judges, they say, break their pen after signing a death warrant.
    But what alternative is there for the judges when they deal with guys like the gang rapers of Delhi whose action saw a young life die prematurely?
    In Threda Yuga, Rama sent a highly injured Ravan back home with the message ' Go home and restore your health. We'll continue the war tomorrow'
    In the next, Dwapara Yuga, killing is merciless. Krishna himself plays a lot of tricks to get the evil doers killed. Killing of Bhishma by Arjun using Shikandi, an eunuch, knowing that Bhishma will not raise his arrow against an eunuch. And who made this masterplan to kill Bhishma? None other than Krishna himself!
    And so the story goes on.

messedup and kkrish like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

True. It's hard for everybody who survive. Only the dead are in peace. As for Krishna, he knew he was doing tricks and was ready to face the consequences also. Gandhari cursed him to die a tragic death.
    Long back I read a book, and I remember the question -what if the soldiers on both refuse to fight ? No such possibilities because for some it is a career and for some it is the way to make money. Gone are the days when soldiers were drafted.