Jumbo JANUARY

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by Yashikushi, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play."
    --Arnold Toynbee

Whenever we hear someone complaining, "My boss is working me like a dog," we simply ask the question, "Oh, really? Have you ever taken a moment to notice how your dog actually DOES spend her day? Today would be your lucky day if you were working like your dog!"

Dogs don’t make a distinction between work and play. Everything is fun to them, and every situation is a new one, full of infinite possibilities for joy and connection. We humans surely would be more successful in our jobs if we approached our work with the enthusiasm, dedication, sensitivity, and – in general – the wonderful attitude towards life of a good working dog.

So this Fun At Work Day, Today and every day the workplace should be spiced with fun, laughter and a playful attitude....A day to plan a fun activity and inject some laughter into the workplace.

[​IMG]

May all of you have an eco-friendly and economically feasible HAPPY KAZOO YEAR! Today is the the 159th birthday of the Kazoo -- an American instrument invented in the 1840s in Macon, GA. Legend tell us the kazoo was invented by collaboration of Alabama Vest (American black) and Thaddeus Von Clegg (German-American clockmaker).

How To Play Kazoo

[​IMG]

If you don't get a sound, trying saying a word like "who" in the kazoo.)
    The kazoo is in the family of musical instruments called, “mirlitons”.
    These instruments make their sound by sympathetic vibration with the human voice.
    The sound of your humming voice causes the wax paper resonator
    to vibrate in the kazoo, and the shape of the kazoo helps amplifiy and project the sound.

CAUTION: Continued Kazoo Playing Can Be Very Annoying to Spouses, Parents, and Co-Workers.

[​IMG]

2. Yashikushi

This National Puzzle Day, January 29th, break out that crossword puzzle or Sudoku book. This is the day to work your way through brain teasers and get your friends and family involved. While National Puzzle Day is hardly an official holiday, it stirs up excitement in puzzle addicts across the US. Here’s how you can celebrate:
    • Get the most complicated jigsaw puzzle you can find, and invite friends over to solve it as a group.
    • Watch puzzle-crazy movies, like Wordplay, a documentary about the editor of the New York Times crossword, and Word Wars, about the world of competitive Scrabble.
    • If you haven’t already, try the latest hot puzzle game, Sudoku, which has taken on various forms over time. It sprang from the mind of mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1783, was called “Number Place” in the US in the 1970s, earned the name “Sudoku” in Japan in the 1980s and became an international craze in 2005
    • Remind your friends of a classic puzzle by giving away Rubik’s Cubes, which were invented in 1974 by Hungarian architecture professor Erno Rubik.
    All these activities aren’t just a way to pass the time: They can help you train your brain, brush up on your math skills and look at the world in a whole new way.

[​IMG]

National Corn Chip Day celebrates the Corn Chip. Fifty years ago, few Americans knew what Corn Chips were. Today, most American can not imagine life without this tasty, crunchy holder of salsa, cheese and (mostly) mexican dips. Its even sprinkled atop salads, making salads even more crunchy. On National Corn Chip Day, enjoy eating one of your favorite snacks. And, take our Corn Chip challenge....eat corn chips for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks today! I don't know about you. But, I will find that easy to do.Fritos Corn Chips were first marketed in 1961.

[​IMG]

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saroj,my early bird!
    Now my share
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

When : Always January 30th
    Many people look at the title of this day and think ....huh!!? Some people think its a typo, and the day should read "National Insane Answering Message Day". However, it actually and truly is "National Inane Answering Message Day".
    First lets clarify the meaning of an "inane" answering message. We all get them on our answering machines. An inane message is a senseless or meaningless message, or a prank call. Or, it could be an insane message.
    So, National Inane Answering Message Day is a day to end those numerous, annoying inane answering machine messages. Trouble is.......how do you do that? In todays, world, caller Id is a great tool to accomplish this goal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Yashikushi

According to Holiday Insights, today is National Inane Answering Message Day. They say, “An inane message is a senseless or meaningless message, or a prank call. Or, it could be an insane message.” So I guess…call up some strangers and leave them a few messages.

And if you’re looking for a good stranger to call, I have just the person! Sarah Manolis, a 19-year-old girl from Oregon! She’s spent the past four months collecting random voice mails from strangers and posting them to her website.
    she’s received 679 messages from around the world. Leave her a message about anything you want, as long as it’s not obscene and doesn’t involve singing.

So, National Inane Answering Message Day is a day to end those numerous, annoying inane answering machine messages. Trouble is.......how do you do that?

[​IMG]

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hee hee Saroj, do you want to receive that insane message today ..let me know. I will be more than happy to oblige you :crazy..By the way do you have that answering machine :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

When : Always January 31st
    Inspire Your Heart With Art Day celebrates art and the effect it can have on your heart. Art is valued and appreciated for all sorts of reasons.
    Look at a piece of art and ask yourself: What is is telling me? How does it make me feel? What emotions is it evoking (if any) within me?
    A sense of love and romance is one of those feelings and emotions that a piece of artwork can awaken and inspire. Looking to create a little romance with that special someone? Try setting the mood, with an appropriate piece of art.
    While the title of this day suggests you inspire "your" heart, we're guessing you may use today to inspire someone else's heart...to romantic thoughts....of you. That's perfectly okay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    with love
    pad

8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

When : Always January 31st
    Backward Day is a day to do everything backwards. Use your imagination, and Backward Day can be lots of fun. It's especially popular with school aged kids.
    Try writing backwards or reading backwards. Wear your shirt with the back in the front. Eat your meal, starting with dessert. Now that's what I call fun! Walk backwards, or talk backwards. Play a board game backwards, from the finish line to the start. Are you starting to get the picture!?
    This day is limited only by your imagination.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]