1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joy Of Sharing At The Orphanage

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, May 12, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    We all in my family have unconditionally accepted a fact that we got to donate things in orphanages. Be it old clothes, tiffin boxes, crayon sets, books, shoes or sometimes even brand new things. We surely derive pleasure out of it. Actually this started when I was doing Chartered Accountancy articleship. My CA firm had an internal audit of an orphanage. Initially, I used to sit in a corner in the reception area as the room for internal auditors was getting ready. There, every day at least 5-6 kids would be brought, some in really very bad shape, bleeding from wrists, neck, sometimes with deep cuts on their body and all. I just can’t describe it here, it was really gruesome. Half the time I spent crying and thinking how a mother can be so heartless that she’s throwing her newborn in a dustbin that too with such injuries. People would come for adoption there and then the staff over there would bring babies dressed nicely. A few of them would sometimes have a nice sweet smile on their faces and I would get tempted to go and hug them. Once the staff knew that I was very fond of babies, they would bring cute li’l babies to me during lunch break and I would play with them. Later the audit was over and I was not able to go there very often and play with kids. So, I made a habit of going there once a month and donate whatever I could at that time. On my birthdays also, it became sort of a ritual only to go and celebrate with them. This ritual is still being followed by all of us.
    We celebrate my daughters’ birthdays also there. We carry a big cake, some gifts, eatables and come back home. It gives immense pleasure to be with kids who are not so fortunate. They value your love, affection, gifts and above all we get something very precious in return too. And that is a sweet, satisfying smile on their faces.
    I sincerely would like to request you all to please go to an orphanage and share your time with them and I am 100% sure that you would also come out with a great satisfaction and calm on your face.
    Regs J

2. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very true, Anukarsha sometime the world can be very cruel and these young children do not even know why they are treated in such a rude way, sometimes.
    I too visit an orphanage once in a year or so and then there is a veda pathasala in mylapore where young children are taught, I visit that place too a give what little I can.
    Once on my MIL 80th birthday we visited an orphanage and arranged for dinner which we shared with them. As you say.........our heart is filled with something every pleasant when we go there and visit them and spend sometime with them.
    Shanta

3. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

Anukarsha,

That's so nice. Each of us need to understand that we have a social responsibility and we should help the poor and the needy in whatever way we can.

One thing that most of the orphanages request these days is not material help ( old clothes, books, accessories ), these are being generously donated by most people, they need people to donate their time. A group of us used to spend time every weekend teaching math to 7th class and above students, used to go to Govt. school and teach them basic computer skills.... but yes your snippet is surely thought provoking.

Regards
    Rani

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anu,
    A wonderful and thought provoking post . You have beautifully expressed your experience and views. Sometimes it will be a pathetic sight to see the children longing for the visit of the guests.
    In our family we used to donate money to the orphanage for the full day meals to kids on every birthday, wedding day. At least to some extent I get immense pleasure on seeing the innocent buds laughing and enjoying.
    You can get an idea about this from my post " The awakening "
    with love
    pad

5. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hi Anu,

That is a noble deed, what you are doing. Helping children and giving them some moments of happiness is something which a noble heart will do.. The sense of satisfaction which is derived by helping others specially ones in need is very fulfilling...I admire you and appreciate your initiative and appeal.

Very nice thread..

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear shanta,thanks for your feedback.i think we all have a 'real heart' within and that's why we enjoy going to an orphanage.regs-anu:)

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear rani,thanks for your nice feedback.you are actually doing a noble work.hats off to you dear.regs-anu:)

8. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear padmini,thanks for your feedback.i'll surely read your post "the awakening".regs-anu:)

9. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

dear deepali,thanks for your loving feedback.regs-anu:)