1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Journey

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

It was pitch dark and I couldn’t figure out the length of the tunnel. My brain was filled with so many thoughts right from my childhood to old age of all my actions whether they were good or bad. Suddenly, I started seeing the bright light approaching me after a prolonged period of time. As the light appeared closer and closer, I felt very relieved. My hand grip got loosened and suddenly a great level of energy entered preparing me for a very long journey. I gently closed my eyes enjoying that moment. When I woke up, there were lot of noises around me and I wondered what was going on in an otherwise calm environment.

Suddenly, a few men came inside my room, a few of them started dressing me nicely while the others focused on doing a facial, combed my hair neatly and decorated my forehead with something. I was trying to help myself adjusting my glasses but I was not able to move my hands. I tried to move but my legs were tied. Then, a guy inserted something into my nostril holes. Then all of them together took me to the adjacent room and placed me inside a glass box. While they were placing me inside the air-conditioned box, I noticed that there was a lamp above my head and a few of my close kith and kin were crying. I wanted to tell them I was fine but could not utter a single word. Within a few minutes, I started shivering and was getting ready to jump out of the box but I couldn’t move. How can these able-bodied men restrain me that too in the presence of all my kith and kin?

Suddenly, a batch of my relatives started coming in and they brought with them some flower garlands and I was wondering whether my family has organized a puja at home without telling me. Everyone stood silently in front of me and started garlanding me and shedding tears. I didn’t achieve any national awards nor I was retiring from my work. Why all this fanfare? When some of them hugged my children, others were saying something nice about me to my spouse. I was wondering why they never said such nice words to me earlier. However, my focus was how to get out of this cold box. Violent thoughts came to my mind to break open the box but I realized that I couldn’t do anything on my own unless a few people around help me get out of this refrigeration. My body became completely cold and I felt helpless. I felt like screaming to let me do my free will.

As the time passed by, more and more people assembled and suddenly I noticed hectic activity outside of my sweet home. Finally, a few heeded to my request to let me out of that stupid box. They gave me nice hot shower and again dressed me up neatly and I began to feel better. Suddenly, they took me out and tied me up in a bed consist of leaves tied to two large bamboos. After doing some ceremonies, a few of them loaded me into a van while a few of my relatives got into the vehicle with me.

They took me to a strange place where my children filled up several forms as though they were applying for my passport. My children were dressed differently and after they said some hymns, I was pushed into another iron box and before I could realize what was happening, I was engulfed in flames. I was screaming to let me out but no one was able to hear me. Finally, I reconciled to my fate and I was burned down into ashes in a few minutes. I felt I was everywhere but didn’t have a physical body. My children after performing a few more rites, placed a few of my bones and ashes into a mud pot and took it to immerse into the water. They returned home to commence series of rituals recalling me for a few hours every day. They realized my journey was long and prepared everything I needed.

When I was getting ready to leave, the following thoughts came to my mind. I came here for a reason. I showered my love and dedicated my life for the well-being of my kith and kin. I tried my best to lead a righteous life and tried to hurt no one. I performed my duties to the best of my ability lovingly and selflessly. I have made some mistakes in life but always repented for them. My life taught me to remain calm whether I faced pleasure or pain. I knew my legacy would remain in the hearts of my kith and kin and people I knew. I was not sure where I was going and what was in store for me going forward but it made no difference to me. I was determined to be happy as always.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

wah your wordings are perfect that it made me walk through that path no one know when we reach death bed till den as u said have to spread love

Viswamitra and ashima10 like this.
  3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

It's very sad..although you tried best to make it sound positive ..but cdnt read full . Got scared.

sindmani, jskls and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

@Caide,

Thank you for your first response. You have captured the essence of what I was trying to convey in your response. Thank you.

Viswa

Caide likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

@ashima10,

My apologies if I have scared you through this snippet. What I like about your response is your honesty. Different people approach this difficult subject differently. While some prefers not to think about it until it happens and do good things every single day, others would like to learn about it a little at a time throughout the life so that they could face it without fear.
    I belong to the second category.

In order to make the situation lighter, I would like to mention this joke my business partner told me:

"I am not afraid of death, when it comes knocking at my door, I just don't want to be there. That is all."

Viswa

sindmani and ashima10 like this.
  6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

welcome :D

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir, dont know what is with few of us here. I just relived the worst nightmare of my life and penned a poem of being tired and here I am reading about the final 'Journey'. Seen my owm parents journey and it is hard to put rice to the one whom we cooked and served. Blame all those rituals when I refused to do it I was forced.

I just would like to reiterate 'Lets live in peace before we rest in peace'

Viswamitra and knbg like this.
  8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir,
    Best regards.
    Inevitable indeed...and the thought that we would review ourselves and plan the next leg of the journey helps in attempting to bring the straying, untamed thoughts under control...Hari Om.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

i like your business partner :)

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

first time i my self experienced this while reading ..starting it was scary later arre ye toh sab ke saath hona hai its inevitable tab tak Pyar Batate Chalo :).

Viswamitra likes this.