1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joshila's question in photo contest made me write this thread

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Sep 17, 2010.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I always like to take part in any contest. This week there is a contest "How organised is your Shoe Closet". Though I dont have a shoe closet because me and my husband have only one pair of chappal each. So I wrote it there and Joshila was surprised that being a lady how I have only one pair of chappal.

I have written before also that my husband is very economic and does not like to spend much. My husband does not spend much on chappals . After his chappal gives way only he will buy another one. Usually he buys the cheapest one only . He does not like to spend money on buying chappals. Once my son brought him a costly chappal and he got angry with him for spending money on chappal.
    Last time for the first time he bought a pair of chappal for Rs. 150/- or so and the chappal got angry on him and bit him very badly on both the legs , it was like a cut. First he did not notice also ,after I told him only he saw the cut on both the legs and later it started paining , the leg was swollen and I had to take him to the Doctor and she gave medicines and injection.

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Viji ma
    Don't be so gloomy.
    We are on the SAME boat.Heeeeee
    Myself have only one pair of shoes alone for out-stripping.Thats more than enough and comfortable for me.(being a home maker)
    Having a soft leather chappal for rough use.
    I too wonder those with dozens.Fashionable PASSION.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Viji ma, in this part of the world it is very difficult to get good pair of medicated, comfortable and flat slippers and shoes.

Knowing our health problems, we have to be extremely careful about our feet and therefore we always buy more than one every year with us since our next visit will be after another year...

Your topic is very interesting and while I was working in India used to just have 2 pairs...

4. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji di,
    I have learnt a very good lesson from Suze Orman..she is a personal finance expert. Only buy what you really are going to use or need. She is a very well off person and I was astonished to hear that she owned only one pair of earrings and a necklace. I had an opportunity to attend one of her seminars. It made a lot of sense...live like a minimalist. Lots of great "money sense".
    So coming back to your story, if one pair of chappals work for you...why not!

Hugs!
    Oopall

5. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Every person is different.How does it matter if a person has one or 10 pairs of sandals?
    There is nothing to get shocked if a person has one pair or 10 pairs (unless like Jayalalitha exchief of TN who has 1000's of pairs).
    Its our own preference. there is nothing to get surprised.
    It also doesnt depend on gender. In some cases husband can have more than wife.As I said before it depends on individual.
    One of my friend's husband has more number of chappals than his wife (as he keeps buying sports shoes whenever he introduces himself to a new sport).

6. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

:hide: Oh !!!

So my Q gave you a topic to write Viji..Am very pleased.
    When I read the response, I think many sail with you Viji. I too was like that back in school days. Now esp after coming to the US - I think the weather here forces a person to own atleast 3-4 pairs. So in a family of 4, I think avg shoes pairs would be 12-14 atleast !! :bowdown:bowdown
    what do I do ????

7. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Count me in too aunty...I have only 2 pairs, one for regular use and another for some functions...I dont prefer spending much on sandals, cos how much ever costly I buy, it wears off within mazimum 3 months...So what is the worth?? :rant Always we should be careful before wearing new sandals, please take care of yourself and uncle :)

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh I am with Joshila have so many pairs and whenever i wish to travel I want another new pair. I love to have many pair of sandles, from last 3 or 4 years stopped wearing shoes becoz I have extra nail growth on my toe:-(

9. shrowy

shrowy New IL'ite

After reading your post, I went through my shoe collection and actually counted 34. Out of these I wear only 3 regularly.The remaining just lie in the closet.

I wondered when and where I had bought them, and found to my surprize that all had been bought from sales. And mind you, all cost around 800 or more on sale.

Talk about a sucker!!!!

10. radhusankar

radhusankar Silver IL'ite

viji ma am also with u:):) having only 2 pairs, one for house n another one for outing, i ll buy sandals only the old one spoils, i luv to buy but...............:bonk