Jodhpur's Delicacies

Discussion in 'Western India' started by GayatriRathod, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Most of Jodhpur homes start their breakfast with the ‘Kachoris’ and ‘Mirchi Vadas’, Its not only famous among Jodhpur people but appeal to the palate of the tourists as well. A visit to Jodhpur would be wasted without a bite of its spicy ‘ Pyaz ki Kachori, Mewa Kachori and Mirchi Vade’

All that one has to do, to taste and purchase the myriad specialities of the town, is to roam in and around Sojati Gate, one of the famous market of Jodhpur.

However, that does not mean you cannot have them at home. I'll deliver them right to your house....Ahhhhhha...through recipes I mean. Let me know if the food of Jodhpur is enough to take you on a spicy trail to this Royal city.

:coffee

2. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Jodhpur's Delicacies - Pyaz ki Kachori

Hi Friends, Here is <st1:city><st1:place>Jodhpur</st1:place></st1:city>'s famous Pyaz ki Kachori right at your home. Give a try and let me know. Also, I request my fellow citizens at <st1:city><st1:place>Jodhpur</st1:place></st1:city> to please add to the list of recipes ans share special tips as well.

Jodhpur's Pyaz ki Kachori

Ingredients
    For the dough:

1. 2 cups Maida (Plain Flour)
    2. 1/4 cup melted Ghee
    3. 1/2 tsp Salt
    For filling:

1. 2 cups finely chopped Onions
    2. 1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
    3. 2 tsp Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
    4. 2 Bay Leaves
    5. 1/2 tsp finely chopped Green Chillies
    6. 2 tblsp Besan (Bengal Gram Flour)
    7. 2 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander)
    8. 2 tsp Chilli Powder
    9. 1 tsp Garam Masala
    10. 3 tblsp Chopped Coriander
    11. 2 tblsp Oil
    12. Salt to taste
    How to make pyaz ki kachori

1. To prepare the dough combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi soft dough using water. Keep it for 5 - 7 minutes.
    2. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and keep them covered under a wet muslin cloth.
    3. For the onion filling heat oil in a pan.
    4. Add the kalonji, saunf, bay leaves, green chillies and onions and saute till the onions turn light brownin color.
    5. Add the besan, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
    6. Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
    7. Remove the bay leaves.
    8. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
    9. Divide into 12 equal parts and keep aside. To make kachoris roll out each portion of the dough into a 2 inch diameter circle.
    10. Place one portion of the filling in the centre of the rolled dough.
    11. Surround the filling with the dough by slowly streching it over the filling.
    12. Seal the ends tightly and remove excess dough.
    13. Roll each filled portion into a 2 1/2 inch diameter circle taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
    14. Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
    15. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
    16. Deep fry the kachoris in hot oil over a slow flame till fgolden brown.
    17. The kachoris should puff up like puris.
    18. These kachoris take a long time to be cooked in the inside too.
    19. Serve hot with tamarind chutney and hari chutney.

3. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Hello Thank you for da recipe ...Looks yummy from reading the recipe . There is a certain panchratna dal I had once ate in a Rajasthani restaurant .Do you know about it? It was so tasty that I still cannot forget it !!! And please do post the other snack recipes too..

4. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Hi Maya, I'm from Jaipur and Pancratan dal is one of the most traditional food in any Rajasthani menu.

Panchratan dal

• 100 gm yellow lentils (toovar dal)
    • 100 gm red lentils (masur dal)
    • 100 gm split grams (chana dal)
    • 100 gm split green beans (moong dal) skinless
    • 100 gm split black beans (urad dal)
    • 250 gm oil
    • 120 gm onions thinly sliced
    • 15 gm red chillies powdered
    • 15 gm coriander seeds powdered
    • 8 gm turmeric
    • 25 gm ginger paste
    • 25 gm garlic paste
    • 3 gm garam masala powder
    • 30 ml lime juice
    • 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
    • salt to taste
    Method:

1. Heat the oil and fry onions till golden brown.
    2. Add salt,red chillies,coriander seeds,turmeric,garlic and ginger paste.
    3. Saute till masala is well-browned and oil separates from it.
    4. Add water.
    5. When it starts boiling add split grams and split black beans.
    6. Cover and cook.
    7. After 15 minutes add the remaining lentils and cumin seeds.
    8. Cover and cook.
    9. When cooked it should be of thick consistency.
    10. Add garam masala,lime juice and coriander leaves.
    11. Serve hot and is delicious with rice.
    So Maya, you can cook up Panchratan Dal anytime you like now. Let me know if you got it right. All the best. :thumbsup

5. radhavj

radhavj Senior IL'ite

hi meera!!!My name is Radha&i'm from bangalore...i just visited jaipur&udaipur last week &ofcourse had dal batti churma!!it was yum...i wish i had seen ur id i would have contacted you for shopping etctec
    bye radha

6. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Hi Radha, when are you coming to Jodhpur?? :)

<st1:city><st1:place>Jodhpur</st1:place></st1:city> is heaven for connoisseurs of cuisine. The cuisine tempts the taste buds with a wide range of gourmet dishes from mouth watering main courses to delectable sweet meats.

<st1:city><st1:place>Jodhpur</st1:place></st1:city>
    is most famous for its Pyaaz ki kachori. Apart from that, the other specialities are Makhaniya Lassi, Mawa Kachori, Hot & Spicy Mirchibada, Panchkuta, Besan ki Chaaki, Maakhan Vade, alongwith the traditional dal bati churma, bajre ki roti and besan ke gatte and kair sangri.

Would you like to make dal bati churma at home?

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

7. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Hey there! thanks to you all for these wonderful recipes. Rajasthani food seems to be as vibrant as the culture. Can you please tell us what is the normal course of food taken in Jodhpur households? What are the food specialties of <st1:city><st1:place>JODHPUR</st1:place></st1:city> and where can one try good and authentic Jodhpur cuisine in Jodhpur?

8. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Yes QueenieB, Rajasthani cuisine is absolutely colorful as its culture and technically speaking, food is always a part of one's culture. Isn't it? :)

Dried lentils, beans of indigenous plants like sangria and ker and gram flour are the key ingredients used in Jodhpuri food. Some of the delicacies are khata, gatte ki sabzi and pakodi. Powdered lentils are used for mangodi and papad.

The daily food in <st1:city><st1:place>Jodhpur</st1:place></st1:city>
    [FONT=&quot] typically includes unleavened bread 'rotis' made of wheat, barley, millet or maize. Jodhpuri curries usually are a brilliant red in colour but they are not very spicy. Pure ghee (clarified butter) is used liberally as the medium of cooking. A sweet dish called lapsi prepared with broken wheat (dalia), sautéed in ghee and sweetened is a favourite dish here.

<!--[endif]-->[/FONT]

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting panchratan dal recipe......

-sunitha:)

10. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

I was in Jaipur this December.. I loved everything.. Big Laughand in Jaipur too my chacha and chachi made sure that there was pyaz ki kachori everyday.. agale baar hum zaroor jodhpur ayenge.. Daal bati churma, humne bajra bhi khaliya.. thank you for the kachori recipe.. will try.. and the panchratan dali.. yummmmmm.. :thumbsup