Jnana Yoga - Part 2

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The role of the key to opening the “box of Vedanta” is played by a Guru !
    So Jnana-yoga is the method of gaining knowledge by enquiring into Vedanta with the help of a Guru.

To seek self-knowledge, learning from a competent guru is essential. The teacher gives direct knowledge and if both the teacher and the student are competent, the very communication will lead to an instantaneous Self-discovery.

If we want knowledge on the Himalayas, say a remote place, what we read from books is always indirect knowledge. If we want direct knowledge we must ourselves go to the Himalayas and acquire ! The same applies for Self.

If the Self is remote, then the study of the scriptures will only give an indirect knowledge. So to get direct knowledge, we must meet the Self !
    But Self is not a remote object, but my own intrinsic nature ! So, when we learn about a thing which is intimately available, then the knowledge gained is direct.
    Hence we can conclude that words can give direct knowledge when the object of knowledge is already experienced in front.

Jnana-Yoga involves 3 stages:

Sravanam:
    Sravanam is consistent and systematic study of the scriptures for a length of time under the guidance of a competent guru. This is the journey of guru and student together.
    The student is likely to get many doubts initially. Instead of asking the guru, he should make a note of all the doubts. As the teaching opens up new vistas, new information is unfolded and all doubts get cleared ! Faith in the scriptures and the teacher is essential.
    Once the student has done a complete comprehensive study of the teaching, all his questions will be answered. The student is convinced to accept the teaching.

Mananam:
    After sravanam, the student can come out with any number of questions. All the doubts are “ attacked” by questioning. This is called mananam. This goes on until the student is convinced without any doubt, about the teaching. Now the conviction has come that I can be independent. But having been addicted to dependence, it is difficult to be independent. Slowly I have to learn to come out of dependence.

Nididhyasanam:
    The knowledge contained in the scripture and obtained from a guru can make you a well-informed person. But for spiritual transformation, you need to put in considerable effort in reflection and contemplation upon the knowledge received. Lord Krishna pronounces this truth in his words
    You must raise yourself by yourself.
    The student goes through the withdrawal symptoms of dependence and learns to handle them. This is the discovery of true independence. Gradually he learns to drop dependences arising out of fear. He discovers that he can live alone, without people around. In short Nididhyasanam: helps in converting knowledge into emotional strength.

Thus after going through Sravanam, Mananam and Nididhyasanam:, a person becomes liberated and is called Jivanmuktah.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Once again, you bring a complicated study to us and transfer them with your words to sound simple and easy to understand. But anyone who want to practice what you have put so simply will find at once how complicated it really is:)
    With your help, I am beginning to understand how much ground work has to be done before one gets the maturity to understand and fathom the real meaning of Gita.
    Can't thank you enough Chithra.

L, Kamla

3. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    You have pleased me no end with your rasiyana Boni F B !
    You said it right. To understand Gita, we need to know some fundamentals necessarily. To understand may not be so complicated as to follow it. That part, let us do over janmas !
    However simple I try to put it, a sincere cooperation from the seekers, unprejudiced, is essential to proceed towards Gita !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2 people like this.
  4. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

In a very simple words you have beautifully explained the three stages of Jnana yoga. You must raise yourself by yourself - a very nice quote I liked it. If not for you we would not have come across all these beautiful wordings. Thank you chithra.

Love
    vidhi

5. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    You are extremely kind to me in your feedbacks.
    whatever texts, I read, I note down the beautiful quotations that strike me. Don't think any of these quotes is mine.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chith,
    The opening sentence is wonderfully motivating.What a nice definition of A guru!A good teacher is identified by the quality of his students definitely.when i used to teach i would tellmy students to collect all doubts , wait for the chapter to be over, then go back to their doubts and try to think over solutions.Really it was a very rewarding way to teach as i did not have to clear their doubts. You rightly said that when doubts vanish, the lesson becomes clear. Forge ahead. chith, you are doing great! I am with you all the way.
    God be with you,
    Regards,
    Meenu

7. Chitvish

Dear Meenu,
    Thankyou very much.
    As I am unavoidably going technical, I can see that the F Bs are becoming few.
    But I am not one to give up my mission, Meenu ! I can't help mentioning that your F B is very motivating !
    Love,
    Chith.

8. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

You are doing a great job as our Cyber Guru initiating us into the unexplored Jnana yoga marga.

For the Sravanam, are the scriptures and the duration of study fixed or is it the discretion of the Guru???

-Gayathri.

9. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thankyou very much for joining us here.
    Please do not overwhelm me & embarass me with"big words".
    For sravanam, the rhythms of the guru & sishya must fall in line - there is no hard & fast rule.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  10. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dearest ChitVish,

I loved the way you explain such a complex topic in simple words, esp the Himalaya comparison.

Does the 9th sloka of Bhaja Govindam sum the article up? I am sure it is more complex than that, but I am trying to understand by comparing it with concepts more familiar to me.

Satsañgatve nissañgatvam
    nissañgatve nèrmohatvam
    nirmohatve niùcalitatvam
    niùcalitatve jèvanmuktiç.(9)

Through the company of the good, there arises non-attachment; through non-attachment, there arises freedom from delution; through delusionless-ness, there arises steadfastness; through steadfastness, there arises liberation in life.

After reading your Gita articles, I am more determined to move beyond "DharmaKshetre Kurukshetre". :)

Love
    Vidya