1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jilebhi turned into ??????? What do i name this sweet????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by brindhark, Oct 20, 2012.

1. brindhark

brindhark Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Hope all would have guessed what I am going to write down.... Yes its my experiments with sweets!!!!:-D.

As a traditional practice, I made Sarkaraipongal on day one of navrathri. I was waiting for the evening for my DH to come back home and taste it. I got :thumbsup from him and he asked me to pack the remaining sweet for next day evening snack.

The same night, a thought provoked my mind of preparing (of course learning) a sweet on each day of navrathri (I knew that my husband will be put on risk :rotfl). Being on H4 and all alone during the daytime, the idea of trying new sweets(as neivediyam) convinced me a lot.

The next day morning....... I was waiting for my DH to leave home I got into action:thumbsup. To my astonishment the resultant product "Almond Burfi" was tantalizingly delicious or appealing. No one could say NOOOOOOO to it.

This encouraged me to try different ones!!!!!

Back in bangalore, I had enjoyed having hot Jilebhi and Samosa in culcutta chat shops. Amazed by the tangy taste, crispy yet soft texture, way the guys roll their hands over the hot oil, making Jilebhi at home had been a long time wish for me.

Yes Today is Jilebhi's turn to take avatar in my kitchen.

Preparations started yesterday itself as the dough has to be fermented. I emptied the sauce container (without DHs knowledge) as a dispencer..:crazy

Around 1 hr back i started frying them.....:hide: Jilebhi turned into laddu boondhis, adhirasams and so on in the hot oil which i cannot name even..:bonk..Still it tastes tangy which i like....

By now, Lot of questions came into my mind.

What made it to take different form.. is it the consistency
    what will be the reaction of my DH taste buds...
    Should I give this to my husband..
    If i dont give him I will be forced to eat the entire stuff shakehead...

What ever, :wow:wow I got a topic to share with you all...

ILs...What do i name the new sweet now????

3 people like this.

2. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

A sweet post indeed....How about posting some photos for our viewing pleasure??? :)

1 person likes this.
  3. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

:-D We all would have encountered such dishes sometime. When I tried making mint pooris for the first time, I foolishly added cumin seeds instead of cumin powder, so obviously the pooris din't rise, they were hard too. But they made delicious snacks because of the cumin and mint tastes. Why don't you post a picture ? :p

4. brindhark

brindhark Senior IL'ite

Here is the photo :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  5. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

Haa :) Sweet post indeed. Please do post some pictures.

Last night I was trying to make a black forest cake for the DH. I was seeing 2 recipes at once and trying to improvise using both. However I goofed up and instead of a nice thin batter I had a big ball of dark chocolate dough. It was 12 in the night and got so bugged that I dumped everything in the sink and went off to sleep.

Made it all over again from scratch this morning and it came out better and it looks good. DH will be cutting it for his bday in a few mins. Lets see what he says.

6. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Nice post..............

The first and last time i tried to make jalebis, as soon as i put them in sugar syrup they were like big sweet yellow/orange noodles.:bonk:bonk.....I still remember that because after that i never ever experimented.....This was all before marriage.

Now after reading your post, my instinct is forcing me to try on him (my DH). :goodidea:

1 person likes this.
  7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I have never tried Jalebis but I think its possible that a certain knack and speed are required to make those shapes. You have a hot oil beneath you and so unless we can move fast to make the jalebi shape its possible it might go out of shape :) Keep trying practice makes it perfect they say!
    Maybe you can name them sweet yellow curls :)

8. caps123

caps123 Senior IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl OMG!!! I have done tons of experiments with cooking but this picture is mind blowing.

1 person likes this.
  9. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Good narration and jellabi ...sorry jelabi boondis looks colorful.i think the consistency made you to get bindis.it should be like slightly elastic and when you keep sauce container ,it should flow like single thread not like blub bulb..I mean it should pour continously. Same thing happened to me when I tried jelabi.
    Today I saw a recipe called misal pav,I thought of giving it a try. I Dnt have pav,so I just want to try pav too. The consistency of dough was good but I baked more so that I will get brown color on top. When I switched off oven and took it out.lower part of pav has been little burnt and hard. I think we have to have it as misal biscuit. Lets see ,what my husband will comment for this.misal taste yummy.

10. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl It looks Good and Yummy . Tell your DH It is Jilebi Kheema :) Made it specially for him and had to work extra hard to make these shapes :) :rotfl :rotfl

2 people like this.