1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jhat mangni....Pat shaadi

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ashwiniks79, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ashwiniks79

ashwiniks79 Bronze IL'ite

This is how srini and I got married. We met on the 13<SUP>th</SUP> at my parents house, got engaged on the 15<SUP>th</SUP> and wedding was on 24<SUP>th</SUP>. Wow within 10 days…..I was married and surprisingly I was not scared, or maybe there was so much less time to even get scared :).

Srini was in the US when we got married. I think most of you who have married grooms who are working abroad must have faced such Jat pat weddings. He had come on a 3 week vacation to Bangalore and was hopeful to find a wife for him to take away his boredom and take in (He calls it sharing???:idea) his responsibilities here. As it was an arranged match my parents and his parents had already discussed about the horoscope, gothra and all the basic stuff.

He flew in to Bangalore on the 12<SUP>th</SUP>, started early in the morning of the 13<SUP>th</SUP> to all the prospective brides homes and was very hopeful to like one of them (and which he did :thumbsup). That same evening his mother called my parents to tell them that if we were interested we can go ahead with the wedding, and because we were, all the arrangements started that night itself.

My dad just couldn’t sleep that night. He was the one who was scared the most not me….Surprisingly I felt nothing…I really did not….it just did not get into my core. I happily slept that night as if nothing had happened. Was I really that dumb or I don’t know, I may be you know then I was just 22 :rotfl.
    The next day being the 14<SUP>th</SUP> was a Tuesday and we couldn’t do the engagement, and all my relatives started pouring in to our house. We have a huge family on my dad’s side, they are totally 10 siblings, atthe, maava, doddamma, chikkappa, anna, akka :spin ooh….it’s kind of you name a relation, u get it.
    15<SUP>th</SUP> was our engagement and after that it was like douda douda bhaga bhaga sa… in our house. My mom was busy buying me saris, getting the blouses stitched, finalizing the jewellery, the guest list, buying return gifts, and putting things together for the wedding, oh and the list went on…….Dad was busy with the wedding invitations, taking me to the passport office, (I didn’t even have a passport) since I had to fly to the US after the wedding and all those things kept even me busy. The coolest one was my younger sister. She was the one who was having lot of fun, with my cousins being around, and no college she made the most out of it.

Our house was like a big mess….We didn’t know who made the breakfast, who cooked dinner, who were making chakkali and puriunde and all those yummy eatables for the wedding, but everything was ready in time. It was chaos for all 10 days and since my parents stayed in an apartment the whole building was involved in my wedding.

It’s been 8 years since all this happened and I have spent my most beautiful eight years with this wonderful person and I am happy to spend my rest of my life with him. There have been good, bad and ugly days in these 8 years and we have shared them together. It was not picture perfect but I have grown with them (emotionally, mentally and a bit physically as well :)).With my anniversary just around the corner all these thoughts crossed my mind and I just thought I will share them with you guys.

2. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Aswini

Happy to read your snippet that too one about a conversion period in your life.
    It must be really in jhat pat .Marriage with in ten days of meeting each other.Your father and mother must have tensed a lot.Ya these younger sisters are the ones celebrating the marriages I think.My sisters often recollect those days to be the best in their life.They don't have any tension and if they are having vacation no need to think about the celebration. I remember my father also didn't sleep on the day when husband came first to see me .He was thinking all the pros and cons however these fathers want us to be handed over to the most eligible hands.

3. luckybychance

luckybychance Senior IL'ite

4. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Well written Aswini.

5. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Ashwini

Advance Wishes for your wedding anniversary! :2thumbsup:

A very beautiful write up!

This is what is called as Made in Heaven!:exactly:

With all the enquiries about both the parties happening, talks ( in some cases negotiations ) about wedding procedures , expenses , back ground checks happening in these days ( i mean more these days), both the sides in your case have no time but only go ahead and stright in to the event and it became a lifetime hit:wow!!

Very Nice and Very Much Glad for you!

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi ashwini,

a very cute write up..first of all heartiest congratulations on your wedding anniversary dear :)

yes my aunts marriage was like this..a whole ten days from the day uncle came to see her and till they tied the knot..your post brought back lovely memories of family weddings.:thumbsup

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ashwini,
    First of all I wish you " Happy anniversary!!!
    In a very wonderful manner you have described the way in which your marriage took place. I can visualize each and everything from your description.
    Marriage means that a sacred alliance between two individuals and has to be preserved for a lifetime. Unlike a business partnership, it should not be dissolved at any cost and the travails of living together must be endured for the lifetime.You have clearly understood that . So happiness will be there for you always.
    with love
    pad

8. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Hi... your marriage took me down memory lane... to one of my cousins marriage... she must've met 100 guys sometimes when she used to come from hyderabad to see boys in Mumbai it would be 3-4 in a day... parents were getting frantic as she as turning 27yrs. then one of my uncles met his old school friend in the club after many years... the friend stays in Baroda and his son was coming to india that night... to see girls... well ..co-incidently my cousin was also in Mumbai at that time so they decided to meet up for breakfast... and the couple clicked and married in 10days!!!... we always tease my cousin that for 3-4 years you made us wait in suspense nad then got married in such a hurry that too in HYD!! all of us rushed there and had a ball....
    wish you many happy returns of the day.... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
    K

9. ashwiniks79

Meenu for your feedback. Actually my sister was the one who was more relaxed, happy and enjoying the whole event. she was equally exited as she was getting her own saree that she could show off in fornt of her friends when we were all going crazy.

10. ashwiniks79

Thanks Hey Mindi and K, I was glad that my writing took you guys back in time and the beautiful part is that this was the first alliance for both me and my husband, though he went and saw 5 more girls, i was the one he met first :wink:.
    Such urgent wedding takes away the joy of courtship and some nice moments that a prospective couple can share. The only place we went together after we got engaged was to passport office for some
    formalities to be completed...:rotfl