1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jerks In Legs And Moving Fingers During Sleep

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by slathak, May 9, 2016.

1. slathak

slathak New IL'ite

Dear moms,

My 7 yr old daughter is having a jerk in legs and twitching her fingers during sleep. She is having a disturbed sleep. This has been for 2 weeks so. I took her to doc. He says to take e.e.g. But my hubby is relectant to do e.e.g as he is against allopathy ( he wants to cure anything natural way). I am giving her milk before bed as per his advice. He prescribed Calcimax suspension also. Do any of you moms, experience this? if so, how do u handle/cure this. I am very much worried seeing her and at the same time unable to convince hubby for e.e.g. Kindly show some light. TIA

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@slathak

Please do take her for EEG as per doctor suggestions, it better to rule out these at the early stages than using natural ways. Try to convince him for second opinion and if both suggest EEG then he might agree.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, it must be hard to see your child like that in sleep and also having to convince husband who wants to cure things the natural way.

How about you divide and conquer the problem, while also buying some time. Read up on EEG and show husband that it is harmless, and is a useful tool to detect abnormalities in the electrical activity of the brain. Emphasize that EEG provides insight that natural medicine or natural way (whatever that means) cannot provide. Get the EEG done, and maybe results will turn out to be normal after all, and maybe even the twitching etc will go away on its own.

Meanwhile, observe your child closely. Maintain a dated log of what you observe. Also, pay attention to things like anything out of the normal happening in school etc. Also, consider getting a second opinion too, before or after EEG.

If EEG does show something that needs further treatment, you can then work on convincing husband about allopathic treatment. At that time, you could try to convince husband to pursue both allopathy and natural way together if possible.

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

even to take natural treatment/naturopathy those doctors depend on modern day diagnosis of the medical problem, they rely on blood tests, x-rays etc.

looks like the EEG is not that difficult test to get it done, based on the results u can decide which way to go naturopathy or allopathy or everything is fine with the kid. Do u have already good naturopathy doctor in mind?
    EEG (Electroencephalogram)

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I would like to add my voice to the comments above.

An EEG or a 'sleep-study' is completely non-invasive. There need be no cause for concern.

On a different note, let me say in the strongest possible terms that hoping to cure things 'naturally' (whatever that may mean in your husband's mind!), is a recipe for disaster. Yes, there are a lot of problems with modern medicine, especially at the cutting edge, or in countries like India where we have a poorly regulated system driven substantially by a profit motive, but scientific medicine is, without a doubt, the best option you have - both for your child and for yourself. The issue is not the scientific basis, or the soundness of the system of medicine; more often, the trouble lies in the system of medical practice and the delivery of care. The biggest part of the problem is finding a competent physician and a good hospital.

Do not neglect your physician's advice. Now is a good time to fight this battle with your husband. The procedure is non-invasive, uncomplicated and safe. It does not appear that your daughter needs acute, emergency care. Argue and get this fight over with now. Establish a sound policy for how you are going to care for your child in the future. I would suggest that you hash it out with hypothetical scenarios: what would your husband / you do if she has fracture playing soccer? How about jaundice or chicken-pox? How about an E.coli infection from contaminated food in a restaurant? What are the boundaries of 'curing this naturally'? Sort this out now when it's all still a hypothetical. Do not wait for a crisis when complex decisions have to be made with great urgency.

PS: If you live in the United States or Europe, this business of 'curing things naturally' may constitute neglect. Do educate yourself. Your husband is well within his rights to opt for 'naturopathic' care for himself, but being a good parent means adhering to the established standard of care for your daughter, who is not yet old enough to make her own decisions.

You may find this page useful.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    SunPa, SGBV, viki123 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Swasti

Swasti New IL'ite

Look for how much is her physical activity in school. These days kids dont eat properly. Medicine for time being is not harmful. The deficiencies need supplements.

7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Understand your concern. As someone who tries out the so called "natural way" where ever possible, I can also understand your DH's pov. However, I like to rule out major issues before relying on the home remedies because home remedies are useful for mild chronic problems as they are likely to address the root cause thena the symptom, they have lesser side effects, but they are not much help if it is a serious issue. This might be a symptom of something quite major, then the home remedy is trying to address the symptom not the root cause.
    Research on reliable sites like Mayo clinic, etc. it is likely the doctor wants to rule out major issues hence want to take an eeg. Like others have mentioned it is non-invasive and given the seriousness, It is best to get it. once all clear , you can look at alternative medicines like aurveda , mmassages etc.

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@slathak
    what is your daughter doing when she is awake? What is her schedule like, is it as normal or some sudden changes recently?
    I kind of understand your husband's hesitation.
    Something similar happened when my kid was around same age or maybe little older. Actually it was summer holidays and he got the latest handheld video game which was the craze among the kids those days. he was playing that non stop and after about a month he had similar issues. Basically in that month daily routine had gradually gone for a toss, anyway we are pretty relaxed during summer holidays right? At the time I felt the drastic lack of routine, ie., no real exercise, excessive screen time and lack of a proper daily routine were the cause so what I did was to rigorously introduce that back. Meals at fixed proper times, sleep at a reasonable hour, playing with friends instead of the games, electronics for only 2 hours etc. It was tough, mind you, and he was really pissed but I insisted. It was lot more work for me as I had to organize play dates etc and come up with other ways to entertain him but worth it. And the problem went away. It never occurred to me to take him to doc actually.
    Oh and the main thing, the most important thing was - no electronics for at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. So if he slept at 9, he had to give back the game by 6 pm latest. Somehow that had a big effect.