1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jeans Situation at MILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sanjuruby3, May 29, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Ok..So I am here with my situation with MIL..

I am going to India post delivery with baby and going to IL's first. I have doubled up my size post delivery and not to mention health issues and emotional issue because of hectic life and some other problems.

Mine was love and inter state marriage with ILs highly conservative. My MIL comes from I do not know which generation.
    I do not wear western/jeans at my MILs or enter the house in jeans. I change at airport, or go to my mothers (different place, 20 hrs away) to get new dresses. Now this time, I do not have any Indian dress fitting my size with me in US and I have no option. Should I buy from those ebay websites is another question?

Now when I was married, she never let me stand in their yard without neck/front/head etc covered. Now after all these years, she will not let me walk into their streets without head covered. .. I know I burn inside when I think what I got into.
    She would literally keep scanning me jewelry, and put things/covers on head, keep covering arms for sleeveless.

Many yrs later I realized its not worth it. I have many more places to do fashion so I do not or can not stay there > 10 days. I suffocate and count 10 days.

Not that she cares for me a lot, or gifted me eve, but I do not want any fighting or go there and create issues just because that 70+ old year woman has not seen any outside world and has not seen bigger issues in life other than how DIL should wear.

Once my MIL did not let me go to some village function, because I did not have saree to wear to function( I had not brought on purpose) ..women will be talking.

My H is normally not old fashioned but he becomes stranger to me when at ILs place. I have no support from him.

Usually he is the real problem creator for me we are at their place. MIL does not let me enter kitchen, touch etc..because no bath and DH fights you do not work. When I am sweeping,moping the whole house and washing tons of utensils early morning, or late afternoon, either he is overslept because of late night partying or gone for partying. He is real ****.

Now, I talk to him about this issue. He does not say once - do not worry, I am with you, I will see. But he gets mad me..His reaction.. "Ok You do not go.. You tell them.." . Anyways his words have 0- value at his place. Goddess MIL does not listen to him.

On top of that, I feel really embarrassed as my mom knows these issues and this time they are also coming on baby's function.

Just for your info: I do not talk or phone much to my ILs or MIL. Infact I never call them. I use to..as a duty, but in past, problems with H, then his attitude with me at ILs, drifted me apart. Being from different culture, working against her wishes, not serving her son much or educated or modern per her standards, I am not much liked and seen as rebel. Moreover, when ever we talk, it never about my problems, my work , my life, Its about her other sons, family or grandkids, their poo color or sneezing of someone or stress or sleeplessness of someone. When I start saying something, She says ..Ok.. go now..Like I never had problems because I live in US.

Now how do I handle all this without creating fuss? If I fight or raise my voice, even I am going to cry after it. She will not say anything in front of DH. Then I land up there in jeans, if she keeps me in hiding, till the day I get Indian dress, I am going to be all flaming up.

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

You are going to be there only for a while.. rite. So Ignore whatever your MIL says or does.

But if you want to avoid any clashes with your MIL and want to be dressed up according to her wishes, For the time being you can buy a kurta from any Indian Stores in U.S itself. You can wear on the top of your Jeans. It will look like an Indian outfit only.

I would say don't pay heed to whatever your MIL says. Just ignore her. You are not going to get support from your DH either. So what is the point in asking his support.Spend more days in your house. At MIL's house keep yourself engaged with your kid.

4 people like this.
  3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

To add to what VanithaSudhir said,

You can also get ankle length leggings / tights in basic colors and wear them beneath long tops (Tunic tops) which still look like salwar.. Carry a big stole / shawl / scarf to cover head, neck, ears, whatever else your MIL wants.

But I really think you should start your India trip on a good note, as much as possible. You should learn to pick your battles this trip, and this is one that you should NOT pick.

1 person likes this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks VanithaSudhir

I do not see Indian Kurta's here in Indian Stores But I was thinking ordering 1-2 online. I know they are going to be of low quality and who knows fitting. Moreover, When I explain my H about ordering ( I use his credit card etc), things will get little heated again as I will have to speak its because of your MIL and no one wants to hear bad or negative about their family.

Kurta over jeans, is the closest I can do but I know she is not going to accept it.. no dupatta right. I cook in kitchen with dupatta and roam around with dupatta..Now with my bulged body, guys around might imagine the body parts... right so every thing, all contours should be hidden. Only big ugly tummy is allowed to be shown from saree. I hate myself.. I want to big storm to come and stop me from going there.

Right now, with baby,work I am so vulnerable. Me and my H, shout at each other for small things. Ghee on our fire is in India.

5. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Cotton stoles are just $3 in walmart clearance, dear @sanjuruby3! If that is the difference between peace and anger, then I say it is worth its weight in gold!

3 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op just order the kurtas.No need to justify.If husband asks...just tell him you don't fit into your earlier ones and need to wear at in laws place. Just wear jeans or tights/churidars and take a dupatta or stole. Ignore mil....now you have a baby...stay busy with the baby.Spend most time resting.....or you can have a fake sickness.

2 people like this.
  7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sanju,

Don't get me wrong. We have to find solutions for problems.. and not find problems from solutions.
    Boston has many Indian Stores where Kurtas are sold like hot cakes. You just need to make up your mind and believe that it is indeed available. From your old posts, I understand you work . You can check in to any of those stores..choose any one.. try it.. and pay from your card. You can even get patialas and leggings. Even if it is slightly big now.. you can alter it once you go back to your original shape.
    As dim here suggested . you can get stoles to cover yourself. Even in your MIL's house you can wear kurta's and patialas. Nothing will be visible, including the tummy. Btwn, do you have fitting blouses for sarees ? You may have to stitch them before you start wearing them , right?
    It is better to buy a few pairs of Kurtas and leggings/Patiala's from here and use them in MIL's house.

1 person likes this.
  8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Sanjuruby,

Seems like you are in a tough situation, but not hard to handle if you can relax and look at options. To start with you can get one or two kurtis to wear in the beginning. Check this store in Boston.

Brocades - Indian Fashion Boutique in Boston - Scarves

The other option would be to order some readymade salwars from numerous online sites (jabong, amazon, eBay) and ship them to your in-laws place. They will be there when you reach.. You can wear them for time being and have them altered later to fit you well.

Another option is to get some longer tops here which look like kurtis and wear them with Indian tights and have a plain shawl to go over it.

Product Detail | H&M US

Hope you have a good time during your trip.

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    on a completely different note, you will not be able to tolerate jeans on your body in the summer heat. The clothes made in US are different, they are thicker and designed to retain warmth -- why? because of the weather. None of your boston clothes will work in india esp if you are going now in this summer heat. Even the jeans sold over there are thinner and more absorbent they have to be because of the heat. Why dont you speak to your mom and ask her to parcel one or 2 ready made cotton salwars to your iL place to tide you over? give her your measurements over the phone. Is that an option?

2 people like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Check out OM fashion Jewelry in Grafton - Om Fashion Gallery. The person who runs the store usually has some events in Westboro and she always has so much collection in her house. Not sure which part of Boston you live, Grafton/Westoboro area is 40 miles west of Boston.