1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jealousy between sis and brother

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mona Gupta, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mona Gupta

Mona Gupta Senior IL'ite

Dear Ladies.
    i hv 1 11 years daughter and 8 years son. she is permanently jealousof him, why he is doing that, why not, when, how all the time these Questions, i m tired sometime, i try to explain her all the the time, nothing help

pls giv some suggestion?

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

she is 11 years, she might be going through hormonal stages.

Be a friend to her more than a mother, soon her attention will get diverted.
    Let her join more extra curricular activities, that will keep her busy

3. Mona Gupta

Mona Gupta Senior IL'ite

thanks and best regards
    Mona

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mona,

These questions are very common when there are two kids at home, and it is more so when they are of two genders. Sometimes we go into differential parenting with both of them without our knowledge blame it on our culture(well that is a lame excuse i know but it is also a fact)

sit and talk to her. you may assume what, why, and why not is jealousy. but just listen to what she is trying to convey but not so much in these questions. listen to her. maybe she feels she is not getting the attention as much as your son. if you send your son to do some activities, which you are not allowing her to do, you need to give her a valid reason, or else this becomes a sore spot.

Never compare the two, for the grades or the talent. take time to tell each of them that they are talented and special in their own way. have a daughter time everyday to make her feel she is special too. she 11, and she is on the tether of becoming a woman and she is confused, needs more attention, more love and more special treatment, this is the time the hormones start playing hide and seek. so definitely you need to give her more time.

And next time your daughter comes to you to ask something, never tell her you are big, do it yourself, or i am helping your brother, wait. ask her along, take her into the discussion, tell her comeon let us help your brother, so you are telling her that she knows things, and that you are confident in her to help her brother. small actions, that go a long way in helping the bonding.

There is nothing wrong in telling your child that you feel you are so lucky to have been blessed with her as your daughter.

A little competitiveness is healthy but jealousy that could color their bonding and their future is not. try to help them cultivate a better sister - brother bonding.

A lot of patience, a little bit of special time goes a long way.