Java/.Net

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cindhuja, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

My brother is a fresher (Engg.IT)..He is an OK kind of student with a first class degree.None of the campus selection clicked for him..Need your suggestions for his career.

Since Java and .Net are hot now..among the 2 which can i suggest him to pick..he has learnt basics of java as a part of syllabus(not worth it)..

I am totally out of these 2 languages..so i am not in a state to advice him..He has interest in VB..so would .Net be a good startup??

I have asked him to join some crash course and learn the basics first of all, so that he'll feel bit comfortable about the language.

Now which one shall i ask him to pick??

Awaiting for your advices and suggestions :hiya.thanks all

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Cindhu,
    He being a fresher has to go through fresher recruitment process. SO, mere techincal skills may not help. So, ask him to look for fresher opportunities and crack any one of them.
    .Net/Java, anything is okay.......But he needs to learn insights of OS,Architecture and networks.
    Also, the majority will be screened in first round which is analytical and Quantitive methods and also communication skills.
    So, just startup like sending CV's to various fresher openings, prepare for interview in the company format and get a job.
    Its always better to get a job as a fresher than posng some fake experience and join as an experienced professional.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi priya_mommy,

No way ..never thought in an angle of giving a fake..

just wanted to give him an exposure of the languages which are hot now...

sending him cv's and recruitment details then and then

have asked him to check startup companies too..they build a good tech-knowledge..

will see how things work for him.

thanks for stepping in :hiya

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

I have more number of my friends in Java than in .NET.
    But really, I think they are equally fairing well, so if you brother is really inclined to Vb, then .NET would be a better choice as he will have atleast some better interest because he will be familiar with the environment.

5. charmingpooh

charmingpooh Bronze IL'ite

hi cindhu

My suggestion is either java or .net whatever based on his interest ask him to do in NIIT. many of my friends got their job after one year grad through NIIT only. tell him to prepare aggarwal's aptitude, basics of all like OS,Networking etc, his final year project and top companies model papers( check in freshersworld website).

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi gayathri,

thanks for the suggestion..we too were thinking in the same perspective..will keep you all updated :thumbsup

Hi poornima,

thanks for stepping in..initially he asked if he could join NIIT..but heard through friends that it all depends on the trainer and now-a-days they don't recruit properly..moreover the fees too was enormous..

we haven't dropped that idea..just analysing which centre is better

7. charmingpooh

ya i am telling five years back which we faced.Entering into IT only difficult.so try for small companies also.then we can jump. enquire about j2EE also. according to my experience i have seen more java guys than .net.

In interviews, they will ask like what did you do these months?? if we learnt something, we can tell i finished xyz course.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi poornima,

thanks..i agree with you totally..he can give a valid reason of studying something...

yesterday his friends called him and told about joining J2ee it-seems..reading your FB it striked me..but for a fresher with no previous exposure of java, is it advisable to join..won't it be greek and latin..or should he learn java basics as a crash course and then go for J2ee??

9. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

I also think before directly jumping to J2EE, one should first learn the J2SE - the basics. And the concepts of object oriented programming is also very necessary.

10. charmingpooh

Need to do java before J2EE.if he is a CSE or IT student then java will come under lab exercise.which branch he was in engineering?
    Ask him to learn the syntax in java and do small programs like "Hello world" in PC. Practise is very important.Some of the company interview they will give programs and will ask the output is correct or not. There are some basic books for learning java.i remember i read in my college days. you can get it in all book shops. check for local author also if he finds difficult in learning java.