Japan's Shibori and Gujarat's Bandhni- Threads that Bind

Discussion in 'Western India' started by Urvi, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Urvi

Urvi New IL'ite

Hi,

This is Urvi here. I've just joined the IL forum and I hope I will like it here. Lots to say and talk about in my life.:cheers
    Did you know that Shibori is the art of tie and die from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> like <st1:place>Gujarat</st1:place>’s Bandhni?! Shibori is a tie and die technique, the earliest surviving shibori pieces dating back to 1500 years ago. In ancient times the shibori artisans created styles which varied from region to region. The threads might be tied closer or wider to create different designs. Many of styles are now dying out because there is nobody in the new generation to carry on the art. Still, those who do Shibori make motifs based on nature such as birds and flowers. Shibori is often used to make Kimonos.

How is shibori different from bandhni? Where in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region> is shibori done and did you know that the NID hosted the second world shibori network conference?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009