1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jai Hind

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I am trying a short love story (not a thriller) and also trying a lot of experiments. Hope you like the story. I will publish an episode daily. - enjoy.

2 people like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Part I

Priya, Shilpa and Palak climbed the narrow staircase to reach the cabin crew’s rest cabin on Airbus 380 plane.

“This is our torture chamber. This is where we rag newcomers” Priya said, breaking the silence of the cabin with a tenuous giggle.

Palak put her cabin bag on the bunk bed and removing her shoes retorted, “Don’t forget, I am your senior and will have ample opportunities to return in kind.” All the three started laughing.

Palak removed her shoes and kept in the drawer under the bunk bed and then removed the French comb she had used for her French twist hairstyle and freed her hair.

As Palak sat on the bed, the curtain of the bed on the opposite side opened. A young man wearing a sleeveless undershirt poked his head out. He had thick wide eyebrows overlooking the deep canyon that held his deep dark eyes, slight puffy rosy cheeks and was very fair in complexion. His chiseled nose complemented his masculine chiseled jawline. His strong biceps flaunted his taut body. With a curly short hair, he looked like a Pathani hero of Bollywood.

In a vexing voice, he said, “Hey ladies, can you quiet down? I am trying to catch some sleep”.

His annoyance vanished as his eyes fixated on Palak. Palak was equally fair in complexion with curved eyebrows, dark black eyes. Her long, dark thick eyelashes attracted his attention. Ensnared in those lashes, he grasped for words, “I… haven’t…. seen you before. I am flight Captain, Munir Khan.” He extended his hand towards Palak.

Recovering from the shock, Palak extended her hand in a handshake and said, “Palak Mehta, I am a Purser. I recently joined Emirates and this is my first flight on Emirates.”

“Welcome to Emirates” Munir said as he closed the curtain and returned to his sleep.
    Palak moved her feet on the bunk bed and closed the curtain. She removed her coat and hung it on the hanger and then removed her socks and kept it in the side pocket. She rested herself on the pillow, pulling the shawl over her body and tried to sleep.

But her mind drifted in thoughts. She was excited today about three things. First, she had seen the cabin crew’s rest area during her training, but this was the first time she was experiencing it. Second, she always wanted to see US and this flight gave her an opportunity to land her feet in San Francisco. Finally, she would be away from her nagging mother who wants her to get married soon. Her mother had arranged a few meetings with prospective grooms, the memory of those meetings made her eyes watery.

PoojaShah, IniyaaSri, 28neha and 6 others like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Part II

Palak remembered her first such meeting. She had returned tired from her work and was planning to take a shower, have dinner and then go to sleep.

Her mom saw her and said, “Palak get ready. Ajay and his parents are coming to see you. Ajay is a good boy. He is IIT graduate and works for an international company. He is the only son and the family is also nice and rich. You are lucky that they agreed to meet you. So present yourself in best way.”

Palak gritted her teeth saying, “Ok. Mom” and she went to her room.

After a while, Palak heard her mom saying, “Palak beta, Ajay is here. Come here and join us”.

Palak came out wearing a sky color self-embroidery saree, with a matching blue blouse, draped in a Nivi style and had worn a light gold necklace and matching earrings and a small blue bindi. She sat beside her mom, staring at the floor.
    “Palak is very artistic. She decorates salads or Rangoli very well. Do you see that Ganpati painting on the wall? That is made by her.” Palak’s mom, Mitali, said with gratification in her eyes.

Palak reprimanded her mom in her mind, “Mom, please stop. That was the only painting done in an art class and most of the work was done by the teacher. “
    Not sure from where, but Palak found some courage to lift her eyes. Her eyes found Mrs. Sharmista, Ajay’s mom. Mrs. Sharmista had a broad smile on her face. She was a middle-aged woman with a big round face and had applied a big red bindi on her forehead. She had worn a simple saree. She was looking at Palak. Palak responded with a greeting smile as her eyes drifted right of Mrs. Sharmista towards Ajay.
    Ajay was looking at the painting with great interest. He looked handsome in a yellow shirt with brown and red big checks and jeans. His dark hair was combed well from the parting on left. His clean shaven round face was attractive.

After the servant served some snacks and coffee, Palak’s dad took Ajay’s dad towards the balcony for a talk and Mitali went to seat near Mrs. Sharmista. Mitali asked Palak to take Ajay to her room.

Palak stood in her bedroom, looking at the floor as Ajay looked around the bedroom.
    “Palak, this is uncomfortable for me and I am sure it must be uncomfortable for you too. This is my first time meeting a girl in such a setting. Please sit down.” Ajay broke the ice as he sat on the bed. Palak followed and sat on the bed, still staring at the floor.

Ajay’s eyes roamed around the room once again and settled on the huge posters of Bruce Springsteen and Celine Dion side by side. “Oh so you like Rock and Pop music too?” Ajay inquired.

“Yes”, Palak said looking at Ajay.

Ajay started singing,

“I get up in the evening
    And ain’t got nothing to say”

Palak gazed at him and swaying to the tune she started singing too,

“I come home in the morning
    I go to bed feeling the same way”

Both started laughing. Then Palak started to sing,

“I was walking stuck inside my head
    I couldn’t get out”

Ajay joined in,
    “Turn the lights down
    The voices inside are so loud”

Both started laughing.

“You have a nice voice. You should sing in Karaoke.” Ajay said.

“Oh I love Karaoke. Whenever we friends meet we sing and have a lot of fun.”
    “Wow! That’s interesting. We friends also do that as well. What else do you like Palak?”

“Watching movies” Palak replied.

“Do you like drama, suspense, thrillers, action?” Ajay asked.

“Yes all of them.”

“Oh I like them too.” Ajay replied.

“What else do you like Ajay?” Palak asked.

“I like hiking, biking, reading novels”

“Me too” chimed in Palak with a broad smile.

“Palak, you must have met a lot of celebrities on your flights.”

“Yes. I have met them and have taken selfies as well.” Palak got her autograph book and her IPad that had selfie photos. Ajay looked them with interest.

“Oh! So you have met God?” Ajay said in disbelief.

“Oh you want believe how humble he is. He would be apologetic even to ask for water and would thank multiple times” Palak said as she watched her selfie with Sachin Tendulkar.

Both looked happy at finding a lot of common interest and both thought they made a good pair.

PoojaShah, IniyaaSri, 28neha and 6 others like this.
  4. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Hey nice to see 1 more coming from you.. I'm some how missing to get a link between the 1st 2 episodes..

5. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Hey Akanksha..I really feel we are lucky and honored to have you here in IL group so much variations in your topics you choose. Hats off..good luck

I promise I post response to all your episodes...if that adds anything to your energy..
    PS

6. Akanksha1982

Palak is trying to sleep and remembers her first meeting that she had with a prospective groom.

2 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Thanks PS. There is a lot of experimentation I am doing in this story. I hope everyone will enjoy as much as I am enjoying getting into these characters.

2 people like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Part III

“Palak, I am amazed at the number of common interest we share. But I have a personal question to ask, if you don’t mind. I know it is too early for such discussions. But this is a deal breaker for me, so I want to take it off my chest.”

“No problem, go ahead Ajay.”

“I have heard…. that….. Air Hostesses are not ……normal” Ajay said softly and incoherently.

“What do you mean?” Palak was shocked to hear that but wanted to confirm.

“I mean that… they are not…… how do I say this….. they are not straight”, hesitantly Ajay explained.

“You mean to say that they are Lesb….” Before Palak could complete her sentence, Ajay said, “No. No. I don’t think they are but that is what people say.” Ajay sighed away as he said that.

“Oh interesting. What else do they say?” Palak was still in a state of shock.

“No. Nothing…… They say that…… Air Hostesses are modern and …… free.” Ajay couldn’t gather the courage to look at Palak in the eye.

“Free?” Palak asked looking straight at Ajay.

“I mean coquettish.” Ajay avoided any eye contact.

“Oh that’s interesting Ajay. What if I told you I was?” Palak asked.

“No. No. Palak, you are so beautiful. I can’t think of that about you. But if you are that way, then I will have to think about this alliance. After all, this is a question of my life.” Ajay finally gathered some courage to look at Palak.

Palak stood up glaring at Ajay and said, “Ajay, I am not like that. There are thousands of girls living in hostels or shared apartments for work or study; does it mean that they all are like that? And all home staying girls are perfect? But I thank you for asking me these questions. This is a question of my life too. I will also have to think about it now. Let’s go. Parents must be waiting.”

Palak stormed out. Ajay followed her slowly. After the guests left, Palak went to her room and changed her clothes. Mitali came to her room.

“I hope this alliance happens and they say yes to you”, Mitali said.

“No mom, please do not have such hope. It is never going to happen.”

“Why? Did you say something bad?” Mitali looked at Palak with startled look.

“Mom, I feel that we are not compatible.”

“What has compatibility to do with marriage? Your dad and I were not compatible from day one. Yet we are married for thirty years. Stop all these childish behavior”. Mitali scolded Palak.

“Mom, he doesn’t like my profession.”

“What is there to like about your profession? I was against you joining such a profession. But your dad never listened to me. You know if you have someone in mind, we have no problems as long as he is a Gujarati. “

………… Tears rolled down on Palak’s cheeks as she crawled under the shawl on her bunk bed. She remembered another such meeting with Mihir.

After some formal talks, Palak asked, “Mihir, do you mind if I continue my profession after marriage?”

“What? Why do you need to work? I earn enough. People will think that I don’t earn enough. Besides that what will they think? My wife is working as a waitress on an airplane. No. I don’t think you need or should work after marriage. “

Mihir’s chapter ended there.

………..Palak never knew when she fell asleep. A very low sound of prayers awakened her.

“Aaoo Zoo Billlahee Minash Shaitanuir Rajeem
    Bismillah Hir Rahmaanir Raheem”

(I seek protection from God against the devil
    In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful)

She opened the curtain slightly and saw a shadow of Munir reading the Namaz behind the curtain.

IniyaaSri, 28neha, Deepu04 and 6 others like this.
  9. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha, wow dear. Very happy to read your second story. Very nice and sounds very interesting.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Deep. The description. :)

What about chest hair? A smattering of them peeping out from the top of the undershirt?

Here's hoping the complexion police don't read the above part. :) Remember that snippet? :hide:

Excellent start, AK. Really impressive. It shows you are growing as a writer, and the amount of effort showing through. To be able to write thus while also busy with ghar-grihasti (house and life etc), commendable.

I will try to comment on each episode. The II and III, a bit later.

1 person likes this.