1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jaago India Jaago, Mahaan Bano!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Aug 18, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]One more Independence Day has come and gone. More programmes on TV celebrating our independence and more shouting from the roof tops about how great we are. More odes sung to all the glorious achievements of India and Indians. We have produced the likes of Aryabhat who gave the world the concept of "0", given the world Ayurveda, trigonometry, chess, ....... (I do not know the veracity of all these claims - I have not checked them out - these are just a few of the claims about which we keep thumping our chests over the ages).

All very fine. But what have we achieved or what are we achieving in recent times? Does not help to rest on our laurels and that too laurels achieved by people in ancient times. How long will we continue to harp on them?

We talk of the achievements of Kalpana Chawla - she achieved whatever she did on foreign soil. The opportunity to do so was given to her by a foreign country. How many women or even men in our country have been given this opportunity here? We boast of the number of successful Indians in foreign companies in the US or the UK. Why are these people not in India? What made them leave the country and go out? What is the population of India? How many people can we account for who have done something noteworthy? What percentage of the population does that account for?

Leave aside our achievements. Look at our politics. Look at our politicians. I need not recount a list of all the "achievements" of those "greats" who occupy the highest positions in our country. It is there for all to see, on the front pages of newspapers every morning, on all the new channels on the hour, every hour and throughout the hour.

Here is a country that sends people fighting against corruption to jail. It is something the British did to freedom fighters. Anna Hazare is fighting for freedom from corruption. And our own government is sent him to jail. So how are we any different from our erstwhile colonial masters, nay tormentors?

Is this what the likes of Mahatma Gandhi, Nehru and other freedom fighters sacrificed their lives to get us independence for?

Look at the gross indiscipline on the roads. Look at the lack of work ethic, be it amongst the poorest of the poor who work in menial jobs or people who man high positions in the government machinery. Look at the corruption and inefficiency all around. Look at the filth, illness and poverty everywhere.

Does the number of vehicles on the road, the number of mobile phones in the country and the number of television channels available make us a great country? Or is it the number of malls that have replaced the "kirana waala's dukaan"?

Sorry, it is not that I am not patriotic or don't want to be proud of being Indian. I am simply unable to rejoice over our independence till we pull our socks up and develop something called social and national conscience. Where is our honesty, where is our discipline, where is our work ethic? What about the moral bankruptcy in our country? How can we be proud of ourselves or ever look people all over the world in the eyes? Forget others, how can we look at ourselves in the mirror and say "We are great"?

It has become our habit to revel in various "facts and figures" and forget what we as a country have to come to. It is just my agony over the existing state of affairs that makes me present these other facts here. This should be food for thought for all of us Indians.

What we really need to do to grow as a nation is to take a good look at ourselves in the mirror and see all the blemishes in ourselves. Only when we see our own faults can we really set about correcting them and grow into a truly great nation - which we have a immeasurable untapped potential for. What we really need is to develop something called national character.[/JUSTIFY]

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was a sting, but for a good cause Satchitananda. I am not even sure if we all would be together if invaded by other nation these days. But still do have that hope that things will always change, and started my little part. Good one! -rgs

3. satchitananda

Thanks a lot RGS. I am really happy to see your feed back here. I was almost convinced that there would be a deafening silence over this one. I know it is not greatly appreciated when one says something that goes against the popular jingos of the time. And saying something like this would be considered tantamount of blasphemy. But I hope at least some people will see what I mean. That would be one step forward for me.

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Accepting a mistake is the first step towards correcting it later Satchi. There is no use of a sugar-coated pill which does nothing. Joining you on your views about this. -rgs

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

My son always asks me, why are we forced to read about what gandhi, ashoka and babar did long back..why are we not able to give ourselves a good example to look upto and say yes they have achieved and i would love to do something on their footsteps..

I so concur with what you are driving at..

look at p.t.usha..she achieved and she did not stop there..today she is struggling to bring up 16 players..they are groomed, she needs more support to complete what she started..who will come forward...the government needs people like her to beg for a few grants, while they lavishly grant the same grants to some college or xxx institution which will not have a legitimate reason.

the other day, a committee is looking with a microscope at the 2 lakhs said to have been spent by anna hazare for his 60th birthday celebration whereas we have crores and crores of money pushed into offshore accounts or stored in our own bathrooms..

Today, if gandhi and other freedom fighters were alive, they will be ashamed seeing the fruits of the freedom..

Wish we wake up fast and work at giving something better for the next generation to emulate..

6. satchitananda

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchit,

Your blogs are always thought provoking and the main theme conveyed by you is too good. Each and every human should wake up find out their real potentials and see to it they are fully and in a correct way utilised so that the individual national character will be formed and they will start work towards it. The net result will be too good and each and every citizen can make use of the national wealth in a proper and good way. You have poured your thoughts very well. Always we are not interested to be united to go for good cause to the country. Showing much interests only in agitation and arrogance.We oursleves spoiling the nation beauty.

8. satchitananda

Thanks a lot Sree for the feed back. I am really glad that there are so many people who understand what I am trying to say, instead of reacting badly. Love does not mean being blind to the faults - be that then of our near and dear ones or of our country. And just as we do not hesitate to point out the faults in them as we wish them to become better, we should not hesitate to point out the failings in ourselves as citizens of a country. We should strive to change things that need to be changed.

9. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I saw this blog entry while I was at work yesterday and almost replied from there (which I never do).

I have cooled down a bit now [:)] and quite don't feel like posting all I wanted to post. However, I still have a few things to say.

How could you not go all rah-rah on Independence Day? [This is a joke.]

Let me mention a couple of things that should make people like us truly happy. These are about two of my friends who have returned to India after successful careers in the US and are doing/trying to do remarkable things:

1. Shantala Damle

2. S.R.Hiremath

10. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

This is a classic feel-good chest thumping every culture indulges in.