Iyers And Iyengars

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by jayasala42, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Abstract: Iyers and Iyengars are both Tamil Brahmins who differ in their core philosophies. In many religions, there is a schism based on the relative priorities accorded to saints and the scriptures. Iyers place more emphasis on the Smriti [scriptures], while Iyengars place more emphasis on the Acharyas [teachers]. This is again the primary difference between Sunni Muslims [followers of Sunnah] and Shia Muslims [who place more emphasis on the spritual leaders - Imamah]. Again, while Protestants fundamentally trust scriptures to be the sole guide, Catholics accord more importance to saints, prophets and Pope.

It is not about Shiva vs. Vishnu. Iyers are not Shivites, but Smartas. It is primarily about philosophy [Vishishtadvaita vs Advaita Vedanta] and priorities [acharya vs smriti].

Iyers follow the Smarta Tradition - a more liberal form of Hinduism whose worship contain 5 key deities - Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti, Surya and Ganesha [as some mentioned in the comments below, in some versions the sixth god - Shanmuga - is also added to this] . Adi Shankara is their primary guru and Advaita is their primary philosophy. According to Advaita philosophy there is no difference between God and humans. The illusion of Maya makes our souls different from that of the Brahman. A Smarta's goal is to pierce the screen of Maya to reach unity with the Universe. The preferred path is Jnana [knowledge].

Iyengars follow the Sri Vaishnava tradition - a more stringent form of Hinduism where the worship primarily centers around the Vishnu pantheon. Iyengars are the followers of Ramanuja and Vishishtadvaita is their primary philosophy. Vishishtadvaita philosophy defines 3 entities - God, living and nonliving things. The goal of the jivas [living] is to merge with the Creator [Parabrahman] , primarily through the path of Bhakti [devotion].

Their core philosophy affects their appearance too. Iyers sport the Tripundra [3 marks]- forehead markings made with ash. The ash signifies that everything eventually burns in the end and we must get beyond the worldly illusions of Maya.
    [​IMG]

The three lines signify three barriers to truth - anava [ego], karma [deeds] and maya [illusion].

Iyengars sport the Sricharanam [lord's feet] in their forehead. Sricharanam reminds a Srivaishnavite to always think the feet of the God and spend their life in devotion. [There are two different sects within the tradition who wear it in slightly different ways.]
    [​IMG]

The two outer lines are the Lord's feet [imagine someone standing with their feet in V-shape position] and the inner line is that of Mahalakshmi who is keeping her feet closed due to modesty.

There are again two dominant groups within Srivaishnavism - the northern sect [vadakalai] following Vedanta Desika as one of the key guiding paths, while the southern sect [thenkalai] following Manavala Mamunigal as a guiding spirit.

Key differences between Smarta and Srivaishnavas:
    1. Holy text vs. holy teachers: Smarta's primarily concern with the Smriti - scriptures. While Smartas respect their teachers too, the Srivaishnavites are unrivalled in their devotion to the teachers [acharya] . For the latter, the acharyas often rank even higher than gods. This interestingly also divides the Sunnis [followers of the scriptures] from the Shias who put more devotion to their Imamah [teachers].
    2. Holy temples: Smartas celebrate the 275 temples [Paadal Petra Sthalam] that have been glorified their gurus termed nayanmars.Srivaishnavites celebrate the 106 temples [Divya Desam] that have been glorified by their acharyas. There are intersections of both in Kanchi and Chidambaram. The devotion of the latter towards their 106 holy temples is unrivalled by the former.
    3. Holy scriptures: The daily prayers of Smartas center around the 5 Sukhtas [Purusha, Sri, Durga, Narayana and Rudra]. Srivaishnavas differ in their 5 Sukthas taking Purusha, Sri, Narayana, Bhu, Nila as the five key chapters from Vedas for their everyday recitation.
    4. Language: Smarthas include more of Sanskrit in their speech and prayers. Srivaisnavites, especially the thenkalai group include much more of pure Tamil in theirs.
    5. Mission: Smarthas all come under the Sankara mutt and most often the one in Kanchi. This is equivalent of their Church with Sankaracharya having the status of the Pope. Vadakalai Srivaishnavas come under 4 big mutts/ashrams - Ahobila, Parakala, Srirangam Andavan Ashram and Poundrikapuram Andavan ashram, while the Thenkalai have even more numerous acharyas with the prominent one being the Vanamamalai mutt at Nanguneri.

Besides these there are noticeable differences in diets, festivals and traditions involving weddings and other events.

As a final note, many people think Hinduism to be a non-religion because there are no prophets, scriptures or central organization. However, once you get at the level of individual traditions - you can see Srivaishnava or Smartha traditions are religions in every way - with prophets, scriptures, institutions, rules and symbols. Hinduism is just the big tree that carries all these individual branch religions. That again answers a typical question in Tamil Nadu on why the Smartas and Srivaishnavites are so intent on keeping their caste traditions. Because for them, their tradition is their religion and guiding philosophy.

Vedas are like the Himalayas that feed an enormous number of streams. These rivers like religions take different paths, feed different people, but all end up in the ocean of Paramathma. There are many such mountains across the world, feeding many river systems but reaching the same ocean called by different names.

Jayasala 42

2. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

another upper caste propaganda!..

if you truly want to follow your "religion" then you cannot even step outside of India. Doesn't your scriptures prohibit you from travelling overseas?

GoogleGlass and JustAnotherMom like this.
  3. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

No it doesn't. Most spiritual gurus traveled all over to propagate the religion. Also knowing your religion and being proud about it doesnt make you racist. It is so only when you start discrimination on that sole basis.
    And many times I wonder how talking about dalit/lower caste upliftment makes you a messiah and propagating Brahmanism makes you oppressor? Society is full of hypocrites!!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  4. SCk

SCk Silver IL'ite

I don t think this is a kind of upper caste propaganda. The o p writes bout the differences n the principles followed by two groups of people.its all customs and traditions followed.You can read it for knowledge sake.I m not for propaganda n this post is not of that sort.
    Caste or religion does not inhibit anyone from travelling any where.
    If the caste or religion does not offend anyone, there is nothing wrong in being strong in theirs.
    Its just how one enjoys reading ramayana, mahabarata bhagavat gita, bible or Quran. We must bound to know our ancient customs, traditions and its evolution.

vaidehi71 and sslkgpaa like this.
  5. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

[ It is so only when you start discrimination on that sole basis.
    [/QUOTE]

There is no discrimination??? You are far away from reality. When was the last time you read in the papers that a brahmin was killed because they fell in love with another upper caste??? Do you even have any idea of what is happening in tamil nadu for the past few years..how many people killed just because they fell in love with an upper caste person? Does this ever happen to an iyer or iyengar? so please don't talk about hypocrisy

GoogleGlass likes this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Along with that, on day today life, when I was in chennai my next door maami could not invite us to her daughter's son's upanayanam as daughters parents inlaws didn't want any non bramin's to attend the function . I know someone who does not eat anything from a non brahmin's house here in US of course she does not openly says it . These stories are not from 100 years ago. All is well and good till we meet these people in real life.

SCk and GoogleGlass like this.
  7. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

I once mistakenly shared an apt with a girl and left in a week. She told me I can use only the 2 burners out of the 4 burners in the stove. This inspite of me saying I will not cook any non veg in the house. My vessels were never to touch her vessels...the straw that broke my back...she told me that my bathing loofah accidently touched hers !!!

All this happened in US..

GoogleGlass likes this.
  8. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

It so nice & sweet when everything is blanketed under the name of tradition and on top of it asking ppl to be proud of it!!!

Apparently my caste has a nice story & tradition too. It was a title, given by raja raja cholan for the 1st citizens who served in a war. What a sweet story...hell with it!!! we don't even know where raja raja cholans resting place his nor do we know about his lineage..but we want to keep our head held high because we are a higher caste people with "rich" traditions...screw that.

When my sister married an SC..the things some of my relatives said!!!...this was 3 yrs back. My bil came from a caste that historically cleaned peoples mess. when you share your so called rich tradition..think about what tradition they had??? they were born in the caste & his ancestors did that job...we are breaking all this now...

so..screw this so called rich & historic tradition..which is nothing but a hidden way to tell..see how awesome my caste history is and to those of you who don't have such an awesome tradition like mine...i am so sorry..we are just cooler!

Jlisabell, SCk and GoogleGlass like this.
  9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It is good to know the basics of Hinduism. I went to Rama Krishna mission school and every Friday evenings, the keynote speech was given by Swamiji. In a childish way, I may have heard many of these facts, before.

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Common on, don't we all have some sort of racism/discrimination as our inherited quality?

We don't have to accept it, but can tolerate it, right?

jskls and GoogleGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.