IVF - Need some advice

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by mrudula, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Re: Recommend ivfnj for ladies who are facing difficult to conceive in New Jersey are

Thanks Soumi! Hope the same!

2. sakich

sakich New IL'ite

IVF Procedure help

HI Everybody, I have been trying to conceive for the past 8 years Drowning.My doctor treating me here has said that she has done everything now IVF is the only thing left to be done. I have had 5 IUI's so far no luck. SO we are going to India for a month , I was hoping to get some replies .:confused2: I wanted to know what is the exact procedure for IVF. What was the time frame needed for the procedure. Also if it required any kind of surgery, So is there a rest period involved before you can travel? Also what would be the cost involved in it,Is the procedure painful. Would 1 months time be enough for it?:?:
    It would really be helpful to me if someone could answer my questions .
    Thanks

3. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

an article regarding IVF

In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
    In order for pregnancy to occur, an egg has to be released from the ovary and unite with a sperm. Normally this union, called fertilization, occurs within the fallopian tube, which joins the uterus (womb) to the ovary. However, in IVF the union occurs in a laboratory after eggs and sperm have been collected. Embryos are then transferred to the uterus to continue growth.

Candidates

Both fallopian tubes are absent or blocked due to surgery or tubal pregnancy) or infection (STD, or Tuberculosis)
    Endometriosis
    Reduced sperm count or motility (IVF can be normally performed for counts which are more than 5 million per ml. For counts less than 5 million per ml. ICSI is a better option.) Patients where all other treatments such as ovulation induction with intra uterine insemination have proven unsuccessful.
    Patients with unexplained infertility where all the investigations performed on the couple are normal, but who still do not conceive with routine treatments.
    Patients who have failed to become pregnant inspite of all routine treatments of infertility.
    Patients who want to become pregnant by the procedure of embryo and egg donation. In our unit, the success rates of IVF are in the region of 20 to 30%, which are comparable to the leading units in the world.

Procedure
    There are five major steps in the IVF and embryo transfer sequence:
    1. Monitor the development of ripening egg(s) in the ovaries
    2. Collection of eggs
    3. Obtaining the sperm
    4. Putting the eggs and sperm together in the laboratory, and providing correct conditions for fertilization and early embryo growth
    5. Transferring the embryos into the uterus

To control the timing of egg ripening and to increase the chance of collecting substantial number of eggs, fertility drugs are prescribed according to each individual case. Before dertemining the egg retreival schedule, we perform an ultrasound of the ovaries to check the development of eggs and a blood/urine test to measure hormone levels.

The Egg Retrieval Process

The retrieval procedure to obtain the eggs is performed trans-vaginally using a hollow needle guided by the ultrasound image (this is completely comfortable under adequate sedation and local anesthesia). Eggs are gently removed from the ovaries using the needle. This is called "follicular aspiration." Its timing is crucial because the egg will not develop properly if it is collected too early; if too late, the egg also may develop poorly or may have already been released from the ovary and lost.

The eggs are immediately identified by our embryologists in our special IVF laboratory. They are placed with the sperm in incubators to allow fertilization to take place. The eggs are examined carefully at intervals to ensure that fertilization and cell division have taken place; the fertilized eggs are now called embryos.

Embryos are usually placed in the wife's uterus 2 or 3 days after egg retrieval. A speculum is inserted into the vagina to expose the neck of the womb (cervix). The embryos are suspended in a tiny drop of fluid and then very gently introduced through a catheter into the womb, often under ultrasound guidance. The transfer is followed by a resting period, blood tests and possibly ultrasound examinations to verify if pregnancy has been established.

To summarize, the IVF procedure consists of:
    A Controlled Ovarian stimulation with drugs (GNRH Analogues and Gonadotrophins) to produce many eggs.
    B Monitoring of follicles and egg development with the aid of vaginal sonography and serial Estradiol hormone estimation.
    C Administration of HCG injection, (Human Chorionic Gonadotrophins) when the two leading follicles are 18mm in diameter.
    D Oocyte or egg retrieval under short general anesthesia, 35 to 37 hours after HCG injection.
    E Identification and isolation of eggs in the laboratory.
    F Sperm collection and processing in the lab.
    G Fertilization of the egg with the sperm.
    H Embryo formation 2 to 5 days after fertilization.
    I Embryo transfer of good quality embryos back to the womb, after 2(four cell embryo), 3 (six-eight cell embryo) or 5 (blastocyst stage) days after egg removal.

<!-- #EndEditable -->

4. sakich

sakich New IL'ite

Re: IVF Procedure help

Hi Radhika, Thank you so much for a detailed explanation. Your answer is very much appreciated. It has helped me in understanding the process and what to expect. Thanks again for the reply.:thankyou2:

5. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear Radhika,thank u so much for the detailed info':clap

6. Devigopal

Devigopal New IL'ite

Zift (ivf tubal transfer)

hi,

i'm new for this forum, we are trying to have baby for long time. i went ivf no success ,now my doctor is suggested for Zift (tubal transfer), has any buddy had this procedure

7. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

hi

no probs. ...I am also TTC. I know the tough times people like us are going through...A small help frm me.....

8. Rad

Rad Bronze IL'ite

Re: Zift (ivf tubal transfer)

hi

i dont know abt this procedure...but still i went thro' this article on that...hope it is useful for u...

Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-5253809430940410";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text_image";google_ad_channel ="3976085354";google_color_border = "FFFFFF";google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";google_color_link = "154F80";google_color_url = "000000";google_color_text = "000000";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    What is Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer?
    Zygote intrafallopian transfer, or ZIFT, is a form of assisted reproductive technology. It combines IVF with gamete intrafallopian transfer (GIFT) in order to produce a pregnancy. During ZIFT, your eggs are fertilized with your partner’s sperm in a laboratory. Once these eggs have been fertilized, they are transplanted into your fallopian tubes through laparoscopic surgery. Here, the fertilized egg, or zygote, can move down the fallopian tube and into your uterus, where it can implant.
    How Common Is Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer?
    Unfortunately, ZIFT is not that common a procedure in the United States. ZIFT is considered to be one of the most invasive types of fertility treatments available to infertile couples. As a result, ZIFT accounts for only 1% of all ART procedures. However, the availability of ZIFT is increasing, and last year more than 280 ZIFT babies were born in the United States.
    Who Can Benefit from Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer?
    Because ZIFT is a fairly invasive procedure, only certain couples are advised to try it out. You may be a candidate for ZIFT if:

• You have ovulation problems
    • Your partner has a low sperm count
    • You have been unable to achieve pregnancy after a year of trying
    • You have had 5 or more failed cycles of intrauterine insemination (IUI)
    • Your fallopian tubes are unblocked
    Who Isn’t Suitable for Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer?
    Certain couples aren’t suitable for the ZIFT procedure. If you suffer from any of the following complications, ZIFT may not work for you:

• blocked fallopian tubes
    • severely damaged fallopian tubes
    • uterine abnormalities (such as uterine adhesions or a malformed uterus)
    The Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer Procedure
    The ZIFT procedure takes about four to six weeks to complete. It is sometimes necessary to go through more than one cycle to achieve a pregnancy. ZIFT generally takes place as follows:

• You will be given fertility drugs to help stimulate your ovaries to produce multiple eggs
    • Once your eggs have matured, they will be removed through egg retrieval
    • In your clinic’s laboratory, your eggs will be combined with your partner’s sperm and monitored for fertilization.
    • After one day, your fertilized egg will become ready to divide. At this stage the embryo is referred to as a zygote.
    • 1 to 4 zygotes will be placed inside your fallopian tubes through laparoscopic surgery. Your surgeon will make a small incision in your abdomen. She will then inject the zygotes into your fallopian tubes.
    • You will be monitored for implantation and pregnancy over the next few days.
    Success Rate
    The success of ZIFT really depends upon your age as well as your specific fertility issues. Younger women tend to have higher success rates while older women tend to have lower success rates. On average, 36% of ZIFT recipients become pregnant during a cycle. 29% of these pregnancies are carried to term.
    Advantages of ZIFT
    Though invasive, ZIFT does offer some advantages that other fertility treatments do not. During ZIFT, your reproductive endocrinologist can make sure that your eggs are fertilized before they are implanted in your fallopian tubes. With ZIFT, your embryo also has the opportunity to travel through the fallopian tube and into the uterus on its own. Some couples feel that this is a more natural way of conceiving a child.

9. Devigopal

Devigopal New IL'ite

hi

any one how to contact Dr. Sharat Apollo hospital chennai, there is any web site ,please let me know

10. Devigopal

Devigopal New IL'ite

Hi Radhika,thank u so much for the detailed info' ,we want contact Dr Sharat & Dr. Kamala , i'm taking treatments here in US , but this procedure scares us , so we want try in India