IVF / IVF+ICSI? Urgent reply needed

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by brinda03, Oct 1, 2014.

1. brinda03

brinda03 Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    Finally decided to go for IVF, but looks like certain hospitals like Apollo, Chennai are not doing just IVF anymore and are doing only IVF + ICSI because the fertilization chances are superior.

My husband's values are all good. Should I go for this IVF+ICSI or opt for other hospitals which do only IVF?

Also what are the risks associated with ICSI? Atleast in IVF, the egg and sperm automatically meet in the environment without any intervention. Isnt that closer to natural process and shudnt we leave the decision to them? What is the chance that they select only the best sperm and put it inside the egg? Do they also take care of chromosal abnormalities or other screeenings apart from the general motility/form etc when they do ICSI? Please let me know if you have any info..

Ladies, please suggest what is the better option? Please

2. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

3. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

1)yes, ICSI gives better success provided the embryologist is good and experienced.
    2)It is entirely the embryologist's judgement abt which sperm to pick and insert into the egg.
    3)IVF is anything but closer to natural process, if you are telling the meeting of the egg and sperm automatically without any intervention is natural ... then fine but in actual, the sperms are washed and only most concentrated portion of the sample is added say a drop with a few sperms on the egg in an artificial cultural medium prepared again as per the capability of the lab and exp of embryologist, .... i'd say IUI is much much closer to natural process
    4)No one can take care of the chromosomal abnormalities at that stage, only after fertilization and embryo formation can one try tests ... however most labs are not equipped in India for it and it is but commonsense, if the embryo looks good why would the doc do any more tests on it, they would select it and do the transfer and hope u get pregnant with it ,
    5)if due to ICSI the embryo does land up with chromosomal issues, that embryo would not implant ... end of the day nature has her way and does only good so trust her

lastly can i know the reason for you to go for IVF?? if it is some minor issue you can fix it with lifestyle changes or alternative medicines , am sure many ladies can suggest solutions since u say your husband's values are all fine, did you check abt DFI and ROS of the sperm sample do it before you for for the IVF cycle

4. Sadhana29

Sadhana29 New IL'ite

Hi Brinda,

Generally doctors suggest to do ICSI before IVF , since ICSI has better success rate than the latter . Yes , as you mentioned natural selection occurs in case of IVF . There are hospitals in Chennai that do IVF . My friend did her IVF at Srushti Fertility centre . I've heard that their chief doctor Dr. Samundi Sankari is a pioneer in the IVF field. I'll keep you in my prayers :)))

5. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi all
    There is a significant reasonwhere a doc opts for icsi vs ivf. Ivf is usually taken forward if there is no male fertility issue. In the case of male felt problems like dfi being high, or challenges related to the penetrative of the sperm into the egg. Icsi should be done only with a good embryologist else is completed wasted cycle. If the dfi is high or motility is very low, then consider icsi...else ivf is a more conservative option.

Please note that icsi is also more money for the hospital in most cases....abd could be the reason driving for icsi vs ivf!