IUI with donor sperm and other queries

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by amicably, Nov 4, 2014.

1. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Had a few queries to prepare myself of future possibilities:
    - Can IUI be done with donor sperm or IVF is the only option even with donor sperms?
    - Should we go for surrogacy with own egg & sperm or opt for a donor egg or sperm instead?
    - How should we go about selecting the donor sperm or egg?

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

r u guys already treated by fertility experts? If ur eggs and sperm is fine doc will do ivf with ur only.

if any problem in any of urs then doc suggeststo go for donor, or u decide if u think ivf not worked after few attempts, based on age Health of yours u decide to go for donor or not

surrogacy, if ur womb can't accomate an embryo, or repeated failures doc suggests or u decide to go that option, here embryo can be with ur eggs and sperm or donors.

all different options , but surrogacy, donor stuff is complicated legally and emotionally.

As as much as possible go with urs only. If u think it is not working totally then only think those , itis my opinion on this.

all the best, as biological clock is ticking , move fast.

3. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Hi Amicably...here are my thoughts...

- Can IUI be done with donor sperm or IVF is the only option even with donor sperms?
    Yes, it can be done with the donor sperm also, but most clinics prefer to do IVF only with the donor sperm.
    - Should we go for surrogacy with own egg & sperm or opt for a donor egg or sperm instead?
    Yes, you can do this but its done only in situations where the implantation process is being hindered and so the uterus environment is not conducive for the process.
    - How should we go about selecting the donor sperm or egg?
    If at all you have to go down that route, its important to have a frank discussion with your doctor and understand the medical history of the donor more than anything else.

While I understand the biological clock is ticking, please don't panic and take a wrong decision. Its not as though you do not have eggs or your husband's sperm has defects...the most important thing in the TTC journey is patience. I know of many people who have had to wait for anything between 4 to 10 years to have a child...for some people there is a lot of luck and it just clicks and some, its a long journey. Hang in there and have the faith...don't take an extreme step without considering all aspects.

4. amicably

amicably Bronze IL'ite

Thanks KashmirFlower and WiniPooh,

My DH has low count & motility. We werent thinking on lines of donors or surrogacy until recently. But because of multiple failuresm which the doctors say are implantation failures, I think we are not left with much choice. We are TTC since 6 years now and going thru IVFs since 3 years.

My first doctor is of opinion that couples should try for 3 IVFs and if it still does not work, then go for donors, surrogacy or adoption.

I feel its better to adopt instead of going the donor way.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi amicably, wish u all the best on this journey.

1. If u think, implantation May be the issue, try surrogate , but embryos with your egg and ur husbands sperm,

2. In usa, one doc said they have done some cases like this,
    for sperm donor instead of searching else, take sperm from husbands brother., it will be like the kid will be from within family. They mix embryos from husbands sperm and embryos from husbands brothers sperm, and do Ivf, when implantation occurs you don't know which one implanted as they transfer 3 or4 Embryos.

Same applies, if u r looking for egg donor, take wife's sister eggs.

But in India i don't know it is legal / accepted by us Indians to do this way(ethically) if not accepted in India, doctors also will not go that route I guess.

3. If you and ur dh both are not so into biological child, then ur idea of adopting is really great.

Evenafter adoption also , for second child you can try above options, All the best.