IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Rad, May 13, 2008.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Re: iui help

Pooja,

Thank you for the link. It sure is informative!

Regards,
    Anitha

2. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Re: iui help

Thanks for the link Pooja. The article is very useful for people going through IUI.

3. kavithol

kavithol New IL'ite

Probability of IUI

Hi ILites,

My doctor has prescribed clomid/iui treatment for us. I have been in ttc for 2 years. In my blood work doc found that i have hypothyroid(normal low). I consulted a endocrinologist and i was put on medication for 2 months.

Now my question is what is the success rate for iui? will one iui is enuf? I m so worried because my insurance wouldnt pay for iui and doc says it takes 1000$ for one iui.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
    Kavi

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: Probability of IUI

A lot depends on your husband too .. Did his sperm analysis results come back ok? Success rate of IUI is around 30%. I succeeded in my first one itself with the grace of god and have an 8 month old baby now :)

I see you are in san jose, ca. I'd recommend talking to dr. karen purcell of fpnc (www.fpnc.com). At her clinic, a round of clomid/iui will run you around 1000 bucks. I'd highly recommend geeting an iui done at a speciality clinic such as fpnc and not at your local ob-gyn.

the high cost for the iui is due to the need to wash the sperm - they do 2 back to back iui's per cycle and each sperm wash is like 300 bucks. plus they charge for the iui procedure which is 200 bucks per iui. it's cheaper than doing an injectibles/iui cycle since the injectibles themselves cost around 3000 bucks. plus with injectibles you need more monitoring than on a clomid cycle.

5. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

IUI ladies suggestions please....

HI IL ites,

I had my second IUI in jan 2009 with follistim and ovidrel,but failed...
    after january for every periods i will have severe lower abdomen pain(as if somebody is pulling my lower abdomen from down).
    Is this normal??How long will this pain last.Its been 3 months after IUI but still i have the pain.I called my doc he said the pain is normal for 2 to 3 cycles after IUI.the pain is so unbearable ,i cannot even carrry a milk can..during my periods because of the pain..
    Earlier,(before IUI) i never had this pain at all..even my first IUI was only with ovidrel,i had no such symptoms after it..

6. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

Re: IUI ladies suggestions please....

Hello,

Did you had a baseline scan after injections done ?? At times injections lead to cyst formation in ovaries and I doubt if you are getting the pain due to cysts. Just try meeting you doc and have a scan.

don't worry even if you have cysts. They can be easily get rid of by just taking a month of BCPs.

Good luck...

Malar

7. GoodHopes

GoodHopes New IL'ite

Does doing IUI continuously, show better results?

Hi Friends,

I am just out of the 2ww for my second IUI. I got a negative result today.Rant
    So, am waiting for my periods to meet the doctor.

Just curious... does doing IUI continuously increase the success rate? Was just thinking about taking a break (maybe if the third IUI also fails) for a month or so... But if this affects the success rate of IUI, I wont.

Pls share your thoughts / experiences.

Bye,
    Swati.

8. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

Re: Does doing IUI continuously, show better results?

hi swati

i would suggest you to check with your doctor as to going about for the next IUI...she would be able to guide you better..discuss all doubts you have like the ones listed by you.. also check with her as to if any additional precautions / care to be taken etc.......discuss all possible options...

All the best and lots of baby dust to you !

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: Does doing IUI continuously, show better results?

I don't know your medical background but here is what my doc told me. I had pcos and my husband had low sperm count. We were advised to go in for 3-4 IUI's if which were unsuccessful, we would have to move on to IVF. Fortunately we succeeded in the first IUI itself :)

If you want to take a break that's ok . Give your body a chance to recover and recuperate.

A friend of mine had 6 IUIs and 1 IVF and did not get pregnant. a couple months later, she conceived naturally and has a 2 year old daughter now!

10. smartgrl

smartgrl Bronze IL'ite

Re: IUI ladies suggestions please....

HI malar,

what do u mean by baseline scan???I was scanned on 12 day(after injections ) to see the number of folliciles and their size.
    Do oyu mean to say this ??or someother scan..
    Please clarify..

Thanks,
    smartgrl