IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Rad, May 13, 2008.

1. devotee

devotee Senior IL'ite

Any tips for IUI?

Hi ILites,
    Once again seeking all your advice and help... We will be undergoing IUI next week.
    I would like to know if any of you underwent IUI what was your experience?
    Any tips from you and also if anyone had success with IUI please let me know.

-Devotee

2. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

re: IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Hello,

IUI is a actually simple procedure which will take only 5-10 mins. The doctors will ask you to lie down for 1/2 hours for sperms to get in. Doctors will generally say that you can start your normal life after IUI. But I came to know from IL that its not so and its better to take a lot of rest after IUI. Try searching other threads in forum for the same.

For you convenience, I am pasting some of the main tips that I found from a thread here
    1. Completed bedrest for 4-5 days after your IUI. This is to conserve your body's energy so that it can concentrate on conception.
    2. No excercise except light walking for 2 weeks after IUI.
    3. Eat lots of protein rich foods. In moderation, eat eggs, soya and chicken products, You can drink milk and whey protein products and eat lots of nuts and seeds such as sunflower, walnuts, almonds etc. Aim for atleast 75 gms of protein a day. Your body needs the protein to help the egg fertilization process and help the egg implant properly into the uterus.
    4. Keep a positive frame of mind and pray to god to help you at this time.
    5. Do breathing excercises or light yoga and imagine the egg being fertilized and implanting properly in your uterus and having a healthy and safe pregnancy.
    6. Drink lots of water, atleast 8-10 glasses a day, preferably at room temperature.
    7. After the IUI, keep your stomach covered and protected from wind for atleast a week. Your womb needs to stay warm to aid conception.
    8. Even before your IUI, start taking a pre-natal vitamin and a DHEA supplement. The DHEA supplement is especially important for vegetarians as it contains Omega 3 fatty acids that aid greatly in conception and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Additionally, studies have shown that babies whose mothers took DHEA during their pregnancy score higher on IQ tests as kids that those whose mothers did not take the supplement.

Regards,
    Malar

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

re: IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Hi,

Malar has really told you all there is to do about it. I have undergone IUI and it is not a problem. I will be undergoing one more cycle this month. Relax completely before and during the IUI. If you are nervous, the vagina will be too tight and the procedure might hurt. Just take deep breaths and relax. It is a very simple procedure and has positive results. Pmahensa is one member I know who has conceived through IUI. So just relax and follow the tips given by Malar. You should do just fine. :) Hope you give u good news soon. All the very best!

Regards,
    Anitha

4. sakthijothi

sakthijothi New IL'ite

iui

Hi,
    I took my 1st iui on 25th july, I am on prog supp. I tested on 6th and have got a negative. Just looking for people to share my 2ww
    I am new to forums so please bear with me.

5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Re: iui

Hi,

First of all, welcome to IL. And here is my first advice - RELAX! I have also undergone IUI and let me tell you, the key is to relax. Also. testing on 6th is very early. You have to wait for atleast 14 days after your IUI. Also, it is better to just wait and see if you miss your periods. That way you can avoid the disappointments of negative test results. Dont be too anxious as that too can interfere with conception. Just do your work, eat, sleep and relax. Pooja(pmahensa) has suggested tips for those undergiong IUI in the "support group" thread in this forum. It includes taking complete rest for 4-5 days after IUI, taking protein rich foods, avoiding exercise and other stuff. It would be very wise to follow them after an IUI. So just relax, have fun and soon things will happen. I hope you will share the good news with us soon.

Regards,
    Anitha

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. sakthijothi

sakthijothi New IL'ite

Re: iui

Hi Anitha,
    Thank you for your reply. I read the thread from pooja. It was really informative. I will update you how i proceed.
    -sakthi

7. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

sucess rate iui

friends, any iui give good result in first attempt? max how many attempts it's takes to give sucess rate? wats ivf?

8. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

Re: sucess rate iui

frinds, i watch dr. sunneews, dr.jaya rani said iui sucess rate is after 2nd try, max try 4 to 6 any one noe abt tht?

9. Priya_krishna

Priya_krishna New IL'ite

Hey,

I have had 3 unsuccessful attempts at IUI...No patience to try anymore...Better to relax...Dont lose hope...Give it a try!

Good Luck!!!
    PK

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

It all depends on your unique case. My first IUI was a success but I know people who have had 6 and still did not get pregnant. One of my friends had an IVF that did not work but she conceived naturally a few months later.