IUI: Queries & suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Rad, May 13, 2008.

1. srobona

srobona New IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a question and very confused with it.
    Last month, we had scheduled IUI but after the sperm washing and all, the nurse cancelled the appointment since she told the sperm count is very less after washing.

We both were very devastated. Please let me know if we should again try IUI this month. My doctor's nurse told that IVF is a good option for us since sperm count is less. Please pour in your opinions whether we should try IUI again or go for IVF. I was planning to tell her to do sperm wash again this month and then we can decide whether IUI can happen or not. She told me to take birth control pills from day 4 of the period start date if we want to go for IVF. Please suggest something. I am very confused.

She told me about Birth control pills for IVF. Is it fine to have birth control pills even though i am having regular periods?

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srobona,
    May i know the sperm count you got after washing for your IUI?
    How much was your pre-wash count?
    Did you checked with them whether they will do IUI even with minimal count? You just need a healthy sperm & healthy egg to attain good embryo!

BCPs are common in IVF. Its not harmful, don't worry. It will help the gynec to make your body to go with the schedule for IVF.

Stay positive. Baby dust to you.

3. srobona

srobona New IL'ite

Hi Vasu,

Thanks for your answer, how is your TTC journey going ?
    My nurse gave me a call last cycle and she told that after wash, it is 1-1.5 million. She told she wont come to know the pre-wash count. It only can be known during semen analysis.

She told there are almost no chances with this count and that they need at least 5 million to do IUI. I think we should have forced her to do IUI. What do you think ?

She called me again y'day and hearing that doctor's appt is on july 12th, she suggested that we should wait till dr's appt. and then go for IVF. This cycle she told us to try naturally or try IUI. I told her yesterday that even if sperm count is low, please do IUI this time. Lets see how it goes. I am very confused whether to try naturally or try IUI. I want to try IUI couple of times actually, before going for IVF, but I am scared that in this i should not waste any time.

4. Vasumathy

Try IUI. I heard IUI do wonders for lower sperm counts. May be around 5M, they will do it in US, in Chennai people where looking for 10M! If you have option to go for a IUI before an IVF, try going for it with the sperm count you could get! Why to waste chances... You can try those home remedies for sperm issues too! But i am not sure that will show immediate effect, but try. May be ice would give some immediate response.

IVF is considered a painful process & has to spend more money! Try all possibilities before going for IVF!
    Baby dust to you.

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

A friend of mine..has been trying to conceive for the past 7 years..she has PCOD(thyroid,over-weight) and all such issues..from her husband's side things are clear..after a long wait they just tried an IUI..she had a delay in periods(5 days)..so she felt happy..but when analysed it resulted into an ectopic pregnancy(formed in tube)..so the doctor sugegsted to stop this formation and has given her tablets and injections yesterday.she has been adviced that this time bleeding and pain will be excessive as the injections ahve induced it.

is it so?? should she stay in the hospital or can make it @ home itself??

the gynec has adviced her to leave 1 month gap and then start trying naturally..if nothing works out within 3-4 months she has asked them to go for the next IUI..

ladies we need your suggestions .. are there chances for her to conceive atleast in the next IUI..or will thsi ectopic pregnancy leave any damage?

6. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Cindhuja,

This is to give you a bunch of hope.Heard that actress kajol had an ectopic pregnancy once and one fallopian tube was removed because of the underlying complications.She got pregnant immediately with one tube and she is pregnant for the second time now,as we all know.

Ectopic pregnancies are very common.I see diminished chances for your friend to conceive naturally.Yet,IUI will be the best option for her next attempt.

Good Luck!

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Thanks for stepping in RG.

She is not in India.Came all the way with lotz of hope..stayed here renting a house..and faced lots of discomforts..

all in vain..wish she returns with a good news atleast in the next try.

thanks all.

8. aneesbasha

aneesbasha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vasu for your advice.
    I'll try my best to avoid heavy travels. Im planing to do my first IUI in this week....
    Please pray for me....

9. Meenags

Meenags New IL'ite

Hi all..
    am in ttc for about 2yrs now.. Doctor has advised IUI for me.. she has scheduled it either for tommrrow or day after.. my DH has slight motility issue.. hence doc advise for IUI so that i can attain preg.. quickly.. am really worried..

also i gathered info from all here. who have written about their exp in IUI..
    i am scared about the pain... hope i sail thru.
    i will surely follow some good advise given by our ILs .. pooja. priyanka.. malar ..others.. if i missed ur name here..
    so let me in your prayers..

cheers..
    meena...

10. Vasumathy

HI Anees,
    Our prayers will be there with your dear. All the best baby.

Hi Meena,
    Not everyone faces the pain in IUI. Stay positive. Don't load your brain with pain & other stuffs. Relax & proceed with your treatments.
    Hope things clicks with this IUI. Our prayers will be there with you.
    Take ample of rest post IUI & eat healthy.
    Baby dust to you.