1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its better to say OMG or appa or amma!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by balamotwani, Oct 23, 2007.

1. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    nice topic:hiya
    for me it'll come iyyo then my sister's son will tell the same,so for him i'll change narayana..i told him that u should not iyyo,he'll ask then y did u told???:crazy
    i want to share a small story in this. once upon a time, in a village there lived a landlord,he was constructing his new house,his servant maid name is Lakshmi,so that landlord asked lakshmi to come to his house next day early morning for his housewarming function,he told her b4 entering the house u have to tell lord, i am lakshmi is coming to ur house,the maid agreed. then next day morning landlord was waiting for lakshmi(maid) ,but unfortunately lakshmi was not well,so her sister went,so her sister called the landlord,lord,i am lakshmi's sister coming to ur house:eek:mg:,thatz all end of an episode to that landlord(lakhmi's sister moodevi):crazy

my grandma used to tell always use good words only,there is yetchini devadhai in our house she'll keep on telling thathasthu,so if v tell good or bad words,it'll happen..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vivs,

Yes, u r right, i also know about thathasthu. We always should be very careful while talking anytime.

Yes i too heard of sridevi-moodevi story, but in different style.

Bala

3. balamotwani

HI Shanvy

For your son who likes mythological stories (even i was interested much in school days, i have seen all god's magic movies and i have been thinking why they dont make nowadays) show him all god's movies and other mythological movies, usually during navrathri they used to show in doordarshan. Even the questions you asked, you have answers in those movies. You remember the movie where Lakshmi, saraswathi and parvathi who is most important and superior and they fight , if you watch that movie, your son will like it and you can understand the meaning for many of our old saying.

I am not sure - i vaguely remember. Moodevi and sridevi are sisters and they are opposite, meaning when moodevi is there sridevi will not be there. Thats why elders says during lighting the lamp in the evening - we should not broom, not comb hair, no eating, closing the back door. Then only lakshmi will come otherwise only moodevi will come.

Bala

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi bala,

MIL was an addicted fan of all those mythological movies. both my children have grown up seeing all those with her. i know most of those movies. but i was wondering about yama's wife thats all....how it came to existence the actual story...(see for the past two days having been referring all the books)

the sridevi and moodevi (other wise called Jyestha) yes i know that they say that. but one interesting info i would share here is very few of us know that Jyestha is also worshiped..In pillaiyar patti she has a special sanctum for herself. there is a temple dedicated to her in Kerala ( Thachanattukara)
    (but the reason she is worshiped is a beautiful topic)

The two sisters are born rivals. Where one is in, the other is out. So the Indian household is engaged in a constant fight to keep Lakshmi in and Jyeshta out. Until she is turned out, Lakshmi wouldn’t enter and stay. In some houses, it is a custom for the lady of the house to open the back door first, send Jyeshta out and then open the front door and let Lakshmi in and that is also the reason why we dont open the back door immediately after lighting the lamp..(now i have only door in my flat that is another matter...)

Once Lakshmi and Jyeshta stood at the doorstep quarrelling over which one of them was more beautiful. When the householder appeared, the two sisters asked him to be the judge. The clever householder, wary of displeasing either of them, hedged: ‘‘You, Lakshmi, are more beautiful when you enter, and you, Jyeshta, are more beautiful when you exit.’’ Both were pleased. Lakshmi entered the house and Jyeshta exited proudly.

Oh..There are so many stories...that are interesting ...and also the reasons....i am still learning...

Let us keep this continuing....

1 person likes this.
  5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

sure good stories...here..
    have heard the one by patti ....
    while omg , amma appa
    were pretty common
    why invite something negative
    by singing popular?
    the recent trend
    is a stylish ouch....?!

sathya

6. balamotwani

Satya,

Oh, That word, ouch
    every member knew
    i thought it is between
    me and my patti
    but let me also know
    some more from all of u
    your patti told stories

Hi Satya Just kidding, was trying to write like you, sorry, i failed.

Thanks for peeping in and your comments.

Bala

7. Jayalakshmi Mohan

Jayalakshmi Mohan New IL'ite

Hi Bala

When I was narrating this story to my nephew who was 4 years old, I gave a pause at the point where the boy shouted 'Iyoh' and asked him "who will come for rescue of the boy now?".
    Immediately he answered "Iyappa (iyoh+appa) God will come, athai!"
    His innocent reply made me think that children see positive side in everything.

Jaya Mohan

1 person likes this.
  8. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi Bala mam,

Thanks for sharing this story.Didnot know the detailed story before.

regards

meera

9. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi bala,
    nice thread.good to know about these.we were trained the same way to use gods name instead of iyyo.
    good to know abt the stories of sridevi and moodevi.
    infact there is a temple in south india dont remember which one there is a statue of moodevi showing the ways your not suppose to sit with hands folded around your legs,leaving you hair loose etc.
    regards
    pavi

10. Lotus007

Lotus007 Senior IL'ite

You have limited it to OMG and Appa / Amma. How come you missed "Oh ****" "What the hell" "Pig". They are also commonly used by the young and the old together.

A worth read and worth to be nominated.