1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its better to say OMG or appa or amma!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by balamotwani, Oct 23, 2007.

1. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

We all say OMG or appa or amma as a reaction when we hear something or when we get hurt physically or mentally or even when we see someone is hurt in front of us or........Some people use "i iiiiiiiiooooooooooooo". It is quite common to use any of these words often for many reasons.

I am going to share the explanation(in the form of a story) given by my late grand mother why we shouldn't say "Iiiiooo" This word is used mostly by Tamlians.

Once a small boy was cutting a branch from a tree, he was sitting on the side where if he finishes cutting, he will surely fall alongwith the branch. Shivan-Parvathi was looking at this scene from up (Gods always see what we are doing, never think that we are alone, even if u r alone in a room).
    Parvathi: Look there (pointing down at the boy in the tree), let me go and stop him from falling from the tree.
    Shivan - No, no, just wait. May be he will realise how he is sitting and change his position to avoid falling.
    Parvathi - (She was not convinced)
    Shivan - ok, When he is falling, he is surely going to call amma or appa for help, if he says appa, i will go and catch him and save him, if he calls amma, you go and save him.
    Parvathi: ok (She was convinced) and said, he should say amma as i cant see him like this.

The boy finished cutting and fell from the tree, while falling he screamed"IIOOO" and did not say amma or appa. And Lord Yama dharma raja came down and took him. He came down bcos the boy was calling his wife's name. Lord Shiva - parvathi couldnt do anythingas they would have come and saved the boy, if he had called amma or appa.

So that's why elders say that we shouldn't say IIOO as IO is the wife of Lord Yama and when we say IO, our life will be taken by Yama as he is the God of death. Patti says your life span will decrease every time you use this word. She said it is better to call amma, appa or call any god's name instead of "eyeo", so that God will come and protect us.

So now you all know, it is better to say :eek:mg: or appa or amma.

If you know any other reason why we use it, plese share your experience.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
    6 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi bala,

Good one. Yes I too have heard this story.

My logical reasoning would be aiyoo is full of negative energy...(as far as my knowledge goes it is not yama's wife's name...isn't it shyamala...). and calling amma or amma or a god's name is positive. see when you call amma or appa, if they are near by they come to keep watch or help you get up.....It also means taking emotional strength by saying either of these words.....

(I have also heard that a specific ragam (name.??) is favorite of yama's wife..so when she comes to listen..yama follows..)

The name of the raagam is kanda ragam....

I either call amme narayani/kamakshi thaye...let me check what my kids do...somehow as i write this it eludes...me....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai bala

Even i remember this story from our patti, and very often u tell this to k & k(krishna and kushi), whenever krishna tells IYYOO>>

And, i used to say appa/amma or muruga.........

latamurali

4. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Bala,

your patti too. my patti too told the same story that iyyai is yama's wife.

well i call ayyappa! muruga!

regards
    vidyasundar

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Bala,
    I too remember this story! Usually I asked my children not to mention 'that' word.
    Even yesterday my daughter fell and she was 'crying' and did not even mention'that' word.
    We use the term 'bad words' for all the words that are not to be used.

sriniketan

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi srineketan,

I was admiring your hesitation to use the word...but look at all the movie songs today....:eek:mg:...and lot of tiny tots are also singing those songs...
    heard from one composer...the use of such words is hip and hot today.....
    :idontgetit:

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Bala ,

this is something new eh ! Good and interesting one.What if one says " Jesus ".:shock:Regards.kamal

8. balamotwani

Shanvy - My patti told that yama's wife is EYEO, but may be i have forgotten, but our other friend has told like my patti, so may be i am right.
    It true my mom used to ask us to swich of the TV when the songs sometimes starts with that word.

Srini - I can see that you dont like to use that word at all. Good keep it up. U know one more thing, my mom used to say ' not to say the word "pambu" at night. I dont know why.

Latha - However we tell, these days kids dont listen to what we say and keep on questioning everything. We should do lot of prayers for bringing them well.

I say Muruga mostly though my fav God is Hanuman ji.

Bala

9. balamotwani

Hi Vidya,

Same pinch. Thanks for confirming me that Iyaai is Yama's wife.

HI Kamal,

You said we shouldnt put Ji. If you call any god's name in any language, i am sure they will come and help you.

Shanvy,
    Though i learnt karnatic music in my school days, now i know nothing. I will remember Kanda Ragaam.

Bala

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi bala,

Would be interesting how the actual story came... you know even sridevi and moodevi..that we say...have mention in scriptures and other stories..infact both are worshiped in some places...since i am hooked into learning these because of necessity (son is a ardent enthusiast of mythology..and epics).
    I even tried google...it does not have a mention....i called up an old friend..she also told me they say that...but how and why...she does not know...

Regarding kanda ragam, i will pass on your mention to FIL, he is the one who tells us all this..