1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its All About Potatoes, Honey!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Sep 2, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shrika,
    You are right. As it happened last week you opened account for this week with your lucky hands. Thanks a lot for that. The pleasure and the privilege is mine.
    Yes, the child-mother incident which just happened before my very eyes - perhaps He wanted to demonstrate His love for me or my lovelessness for Him - is still haunting me.
    The crying need of the hour is to communicate about God's love through idioms and similes that are suitable for a generation which grew up with computers and Internet. I am trying my best to do so.
    thanks once again for your kind comments.
    love,
    sridhar

2. mannuvignesh

mannuvignesh New IL'ite

Hi Sridhar,

A real good one. Yes it is only god who is everything for us.

When I read this I once again remembered on of my favourite Purandarasa's krithis he says
    " ninnantha swami engunthu ninagilla
    ninnantha thanthayu enagunthu ninagilla
    neeye paradesi nane swadesi"
    Meaning I have a Swami ( god) like you and you dont have one, I have a father like you and you dont have it, you are a paradesi.. and I am the one who has everything..

Whenever I hear this... tears start rolling.. we all have god.. whom does he have? we are so ungrateful, selfish.. keep asking him for things.. love him conveniently only when good things happen to us . he is expecting only one thing from us.. Love and that too not even himm.. only our fellow beings.. but even that is too difficult for us??

3. varalotti

Dear bas,

I wanted to write about something else. About Giffens paradox and its applicability today and so on. And then a thought came across if something as small as potatoes are indispensable for us that we have to buy more of them even if the prices go up, should we not show at least the same decency to God?

Yes, you are right. She is the only refuge we have. She might give us pain or pleasure. She might make us laugh or cry. But we do not have anywhere else to go other than glorious lotus feet. Let's be there for all time to come.

thanks for the comments, bas.
    love,
    boost

4. varalotti

Dear Chithra,
    As the Brhadaranyaka Upanishad says all our love, be it for one's spouse, child, parents, friends, siblings, colleagues, whosoever it may be, is but a love of one's self. When you make the statement to Vedantins you need to use Capital S for for the first letter in self.

And about chart busters, well please do not show me the recipe. Do not lead me to it. One day I'll come home. And you prepare that kalyana alu kara curry and let me write another blog on that.

Howzzat...

thanks for blessing my blogspace with your presence.
    love,
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Hi Amy,

thanks for coming in and thanks for those nice words. God is there in everything; the problem is that we need to see him. He is so very obvious that we tend to miss him.
    Gandhiji's talisman for "How could you do that to me?" is effective. I remember a celebrated Wimbledon Player (I think it's Ash) used it very effectively.

He was diagnosed with advanced cancer. When his fans asked, "Of all the persons, why should it happen to you?" he replied, that out of several millions who opt for tennis training every year only one person comes up to the level of Wimbledon and wins the cup. When it happened I didn't ask God, "Of all the persons, why did you choose me to hand over the Wimbledon victory? And now also I am not going to ask the "Of all the persons.." question.

Even when we see someone more fortunate than us, more beautiful, more intelligent, more talented... we should thank God that we are given the privilege of seeing such a person. Once I read an article on fraud detection by one of Bombay's most brilliant chartered accountants. I immediately wrote a mail to him congratulating him on his brilliance and thanked God for blessing me enough to know about that man.
    This talisman would keep us happy in any kind of company.
    You are right. Knowing about other's problems would put our problems in the proper perspective.

One of my acquaintances who had an attack of depression went to see a psychiatrist. After prescribing a series of mood-elevating drugs the shrink advised him to visit the children's ward in a large hospital in Chennai. He was permanently cured of the depression.
    thanks once again.
    love,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear Radhi,

I am moved by your concern. Now be assured of one thing. Even if I choose to write about something else it will be only to clear our vision, to remove the obstacles in the path of light so that all of us can enjoy His love.

My novel A Love Story was reviewed in a Readers Circle Meeting by an Anglo Indian lady. That was out and out a love story. She held the book high in the air and told the audience, "There is something spiritual about the book. Something which I don't think I can explain to you."

So even I venture to write about something else it will be only to clear our vision. In fact I wait for a long time for a blog idea to come in. And then develop the idea in one go.

Thanks for bringing in Purandara Dasa. I think Manuvignesh has quoted the song itself. It's really moving, Radhi.
    Like Periazhwar who was worried that some evil eyes be cast upon God, Purandaradasa is concerned about God's welfare. At least for me you are there. Who is there for you? Now that's real love. By bringing in Purandaradasa's words you have filled some gaps in my education and have enriched this blog.

You know Radhi I am really moved by so much of confidence you have reposed in me. I am going to pray fervently to Him, if not for me, at least for good souls like you who are regularly reading these blogs, please make me to write something worthwhile.

Thanks for the confidence. Thanks for coming in.
    love,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Well even without your clarification I could easily understand what Purandaradasa has told in his song. Your clarification has added a clear emphasis to Dasar's words.
    thanks again,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Hi,
    Most welcome to this wonderful community, Indusladies.
    And thanks a ton for your kind words of appreciation.
    Since you are new to IL take your time to go around the site. You will find many priceless gems strewn all around. Have a nice time in IL.
    thanks once again for your comments.
    love,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Dear Akila,
    Perhaps they did not tell you. Or you did not see. Your blog has won the Finest Blog Award for August.
    But even before it did I had a strong intuition that you are the winner and was about to caption my reply to you in my last blog "Coming From a Prize Winning Blogger" but checked the data and found that you had not won the award yet. I was surprised. But my intuition was pretty strong. And now I know the answer.
    And what a blog, Akila. Habeedha's story made me cry and thank God even more. What a story! What a rendering! What a simple style! Hats off to you, master blogger.

All of us are in some kind of stress or other. The levels vary. The intensity vary that's all. Never let the stress interfere with your love - for God, for your fellow beings, for anything. So long as that does not happen stress cannot do anything to you.

I am very happy that my piece of writing has been able to provide a little relief to you, Akila.

Take care. Always remember He is there for us and watching us with extraordinary love.

May you and yours be always blessed.
    love,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Dear Kavitha,

There is a very profound proverb in English which only a few teachers could explain.
    "The child is the father of the man."

As we grow old we lose our innocence. Along with innocence goes our ability to trust, our ability to love unconditionally... and so many precious things.

That's why we are skeptical with God Himself. We tell him, "well if you make me pass the exam I'll offer you 101 coconuts" Of what use would be 101 broken coconuts to the King of Universe?

The child is there to remind us of the lost innocence. That's why great saints like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa behaved liked a child. Because over a time they fully regained their innocence and loved God as only a child can do.

I appreciate your son's gesture. And I appreciate you even more for appreciating him.

thanks for the comments, Kavitha.

love,
    sridhar