Italian Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Vandhana, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

On Pavithra's request am posting a few lasgana recipes. Thought i would start a separate thread for Italian dishes. If anyone is intrested in getting or posting additonal dishes please do so.

vandhana

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Vegetable Lasagna

This recipe i got from Giada De Laurentis's Everyday italian show on food network. I have modified the recipe to suit my taste.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 medium carrot, finely chopped
    2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
    1 green bell pepper sliced into strips
    1 yellow bell pepper sliced into strips
    1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
    8 asparagus spears, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    1 box lasagna sheets
    2 cups tomato sauce,( marinara sauce . can buy ready made)
    2 cups broccoli florets
    1 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    3 cups shredded mozzarella
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1/2tsp dried oregano
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Method
    In a saute pan over medium heat, add extra-virgin olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and cook for 3 minutes. Add the peppers and cook for 2 minutes, then add zucchini and broccoli cook for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat when all vegetables are completely cooked but still have a good crunch. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
    Boil the lasagna sheets in water till they are soft. If you are using the no boil lasgana sheets or the fresh lasgana sheets, then do not boil them. Coat the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch pan with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Place the sheets of lasagna so that they cover the bootom. Spread a layer of vegetables on top of the pasta sheets. Add 1/2 cup of sauce and sprinkle with a little bit of the Mozarella cheese. Place a second layer of pasta on top and gently press down. Then spread a layer of veggies ( use up the veggies in the first two layers),1/2 cup tomato sauce and sprinkle cheese. Then put a third layer of pasta on top . press down a little. Then spread the top with the remaining tomato sauce , and cover the top with the reamining cheese mixture. Cover the dish with aluminuim foil and bake int he oven for 30 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake another 5 to 10 minutes till the cheese on top is golden brown and bubbling.
    Usually when i make them , i use up around 9 sheets for 3 layers of the lasagna.

2 people like this.
  3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi vandhana,
    today i made the vegetable lasagne and served it with garlic bread.i am so thrilled to say that my hubby just loved it he said he hasn't had such gud lasagne before:2thumbsup: ....i am cumin to the comp rite after our dinner to send across the feedback to u.thank u so much for posting the recipe in spite of ur commitments and travelling.:-D
    luv
    pavithra:wave

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Pavithra,

Glad you and hubby liked the lasagna. I love it too,but it has to much cheese and so makeit lessoften. I will post the other lasgna recipes after i come back from India. Please bear with me till then.

Rgds
    Vandhana

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,

yes, yes, yes :-D:-D:-D:-D
    I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you started this thread.
    P loves Italian food though our exposure is very limited.
    would love to try all that you post here.

Love,

1 person likes this.
  6. bhagirathi

bhagirathi New IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Vandhana
    Lasagna is one of my favs but I've always shied away from making it (have never used an oven before !!). I tried your recipe yesterday and it was very delicious. The instructions are well-written and that made my lasagna prep very smooth.
    Thanks very much :)
    Bee

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhagirathi,

Glad that you liked the lasagna. This is a favorite of mine too, and a sure fail proof way to get kids to eat veggies that they otherwise would not. I make different combos atleast once a month. Now that you know the basics. Go ahead and experiment. Try different combo of veggies, plain spinach, squashes etc..

Rgds
    Vandhana

8. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Elbow Macaroni salad ( Indian style)

Macaroni 200gms
    cook macaroni in hot water for 5 minutes. Add oil to it so it does not stick to pan. Drain and keep aside covered.
    Onion 1 cup
    Tomato 1 cup
    Garlic, ginger paste as needed
    cilantro and curry leaves as needed
    garam masala 1/4 tsp
    sprouted green gram 1 cup
    oil
    yogurt 1 cup
    salt as needed
    green bell pepper 1/2 cup
    Turmeric powder 1 pinch
    jeera powder 1/2 tsp
    dhaniya powder, 1/2 tsp
    chili powder 1/4 tsp
    Pepper powder a dash

Saute onion,add curry leaves, garlic-ginger paste,chili powder,dhaniya powder,turmeric and jeera powder,. Add green pepper, tomatoes and fry all. Add yogurt and little water. keep on low heat. Add macaroni and garam masala. At last, add sprouted moong
    (do not overcook).Garnish with cilantro.

Hope you like it!

9. leka_praju

leka_praju New IL'ite

I am new one for Purchasing provisions. How to buy a good Macroni. Is any brand name is there pls suggest me.

10. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi leka, brands like Barilla, De cecco are good...

hi vandana, thanks for starting this thread...i love italian food...i make vegetable lasagne in a similar way...only difference is that i make cheese sauce and add it in alternate layers..
    i saute some freshly grated nutmeg powder in butter, then add milk 2 cups and let it come to boil...add 2 tbsp of maida by whisking...and then 1 cup grated mozzarella...some salt and white pepper powder..
    it is yummy but like you say very fattening..so i make it once a month only..
    also i like to add different varieties of pasta sauce in place of marinara...recently tried with roasted aubergine pesto...came out well...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008