It Was A Dark And Stormy Night ....

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sokanasanah, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. I'll remember that.

I will bet my mammoth-tusk spear that you were the loner caveman stenciling his palms on cave walls wondering "why, why, why?" while the others chased prey! :roflmao:

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I do that a lot and the Internet says it's okay, but I still find it awkward to read. My mantra these days is that writing badly could eventually lead to something. Not writing will lead to nothing. Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you actually took the time to read the snippet. : )

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Inappropriate "Inappropriate"?

I enjoyed this article in the New York Times Magazine this past Sunday on the shifting (and shifty?) uses of the word "inappropriate". Recommended. Excerpt below.

"... it has started to feel like a secret code, an inconspicuous envelope containing some much more pointed message. Recent news stories tell us that the following things are inappropriate: Meghan Markle’s off-the-shoulder dress at a military ceremony in London; the texts of a Connecticut high school track coach to girls on his team; photos of teenagers received by a 21-year-old man in Illinois; the managerial style, comments and language of the head of compliance for a major bank; the behavior of the head of Pixar, which has resulted in his resignation; the behavior of a substitute teacher in Montana; a video sent by a Pennsylvania police chief to a teenager; and a Winnipeg 3-year-old’s sundress, which she is no longer allowed to wear to preschool.

“Inappropriate” is a broad category. It arranges peccadilloes, technicalities, indiscretions, corruption, toxic harassment and violent crimes on one shelf, takes a step back, shrugs and plays dumb. Right now, it generally serves to diminish things that are actually much worse than merely “inappropriate,” but it can also work the other way around."

Gauri03 likes this.