1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It happens only with Indians.... :(

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by pujaroza, Jun 21, 2010.

1. pujaroza

pujaroza New IL'ite

[/B][JUSTIFY]I was very surprised ,to see how some of my people react when they are in some other host country…

I saw a strange behavior in the( some of) Indians abroad...When I came here I used to be so thrilled to see my buddies...used to give a token of smile n they reacted as if they weren't familiar with this brown skin. Henceforth my smile faded eventually with every eye contact with the one whom I thought were my buddies…. My people...
    My encounter with every Indian and Indian related things and places is not even mentionable

But will like to share some of my Indian experiences in abroad...

While coming back to Torrance from Carlsbad On one Saturday evening we halted at some Indian restaurant called Dosa palace...Being vegetarian I ordered mysore masala n some of my folks ordered chicken dosa...Due to a silly mistake of manager the waiter got the chicken dosa for me After confirming with the waiter I started my meal n was swapped to find that it was the chicken dosa. I was upset, My husband called the manager & ask him for explanation and the Manger was extreme rude, EXTREME!!!
    I asked my husband to cool down n started trying to enjoy the meal & In the meantime I heard some yelling at the table next to ours Then we overheard that the waiter has placed the wrong order to the American couple ,And again were surprised to see the behavior of Manager which was extreme polite, Who offered the American couple the free dinner in stake of his mistake…lucky Americans…

Also, We went to a jewelry exhibition yesterday It was about 5:30 and the exhibition was about to close. Now while heading to the exit I recognized that I left my friend couple back so asked my husband to stop and I don’t know what the hell I thought ,to stop before a Indian person selling the jewelry.
    We were just standing in front of his stall and looking at the stones there(let me clear just looking ). And he opened his mouth. He told us that the exhibition was closed and we should go home and have dinner and sleep and let him sleep…I was astonished to hear what was he saying (we dint spoke a word to him)We ignored …Our friends arrived and we were about to leave and I don’t know what catched the attention of our friend Gowrish and he picked up a pendent from the stall exhibit anddddd in no time the rude stall owner yelled “should I tell you people in Hindi or Madrasi that the exhibition is closed (seeing that we are north Indians and our friend couple was south Indian)and you should leave” And WE all were so mad at him that if got a chance I would have smashed his face so hard that he would never ever recognize his own language…
    Hey man how can u be so rude…u hail from such a wonderful country which is known for the respect , kindness , appreciable etiquettes for the guests (will not forget to mention )most of the people here posses, hey we don’t even talk to the stranger that way in my country And we do belonged to same country…
    These BARBARIANs taught me a lesson ,They were only the words and attitude that matters ,the people remember, which can make or spoil someone’s day…And those rude words definitely spoiled our day making me Question myself “where do we stand as WHOLE?”….

Come-on these people lived outside our country there are some chatterbox in India too who will live in India and don’t like a single thing of India …Yups there are …if u don’t know I would like to mention a severely sick and affected by identity deficiency syndrome …blogger and her associated followers Ms. Priya Ramani .As an Indian….And as a human being I hate what she writes…but heart breaking how my some of my people think…

I guess each one of us would have encountered same kind of experiences .some where , sometime…We all will think that we should do something…encountered by same Q what…how???....And yes this big Q fades in back of our mind eventually with time….Till we again encounter the same BIG Q and the cycle continues….Here I will never forget to mention that my Indian heart and soul will always be pround to be called as an INDIAN…HINDUSTANI…

[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Re: I 'm proud to be an Indian...

You have written it very well. It happens all the time, especially in California.

Store keepers get mad if you don't understand Hindi. People form our country are not nice to stranger. They ignore you when they are with their friends and cut the line if in the temple. Indian fel so superior with moral, good behavor etc, but most of the time, they don't show it our won people.

I had similar experience in Woodlands in fremont, CA. We found a small rock in the Mysore Pak ( sweet) and told the manager. He just couldn't careless. No sorry or nothing. We stopped going there. Most of the new Indian immigrants make fun of Indian American Kids and make fun of their language.

When are we going to learn good manners?

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: I 'm proud to be an Indian...

Hi Puja
    Very well written and have put this up so well.
    yes dear these things happen everywhere in the world.
    The non Indians love the indians and give them so much respect but that is not the same between the indian, indians. Just can't make out why so much of ego and attitude between each other...

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Sad! And even sadder is that this kind of behavior is not exclusive to just Indian shopkeepers or restaurateurs! It just seems like many Indians who move here seem to adapt to some kind of stupid pseudo-western stance and start looking down upon other Indians.

An incident that occurred with me is that I recently had my "valaikaapu" function. For the uninitiated, it is the South Indian equivalent ritual of "godh bharai" and the mother-to-be's hands are adorned with glass bangles. The belief is that the clinking of the glass bangles are good for the unborn baby. So I have a bunch of glass bangles on each hand now and I plan to keep wearing them until my baby is born. I even wear them to work where the dress code is business casuals except on Fridays. While my American colleagues find it interesting that I an wearing these bangles, especially when they hear why, many of my Indian colleagues are another story. Many of them feel it does not suit our official attire and proceed to ask idiotic questions like whether I will wear flowers or a bindi at work! It's just too annoying!!

5. neerrali

neerrali Senior IL'ite

Hi Puja,

Its very true and ive experienced this too.. I was in UK for 6 months and now here. At both places I have experienced these things.

My company in India had sent me to UK for six months, once we went to a temple there and we just wanted some guidance of the timings of the darshan and places around the temple etc. we saw our fellow indians and approached them from guidance. firstly what irritated me is they clearly spoke in a fake foreign accent and the way they spoke to us was like "oh u have come from India n all!' I mean cant u figure out we are all from india. they try to show that we are superior just becuase we are settled here from many years. in my opinion one whould feel happy seeing our fellow indians in a foreign country right?

One more incident which really hurt me and my husband;

this january when it snowed like crazy here in virginia and dc. my brother in laws car tyres got stuck in snow while coming to our place. he was alone with two small kids one is 4 and one is 5 and trying to get the car out of
    snow but since it was hard snow it was getting very difficult. my husband also went there and tried to help him and lots of other people(all americans) came to help seeing the two kids and poor guys they even walked so much and went to their houses to get extra snow shovels for help. and look at the irony there was a group of young indians who were having a nice walk n enjoying the snow and inspite of seeing all this they were just discussing among themselves and continued their journey. i mean isnt is inhuman to not offer help when kids are around. is this the impression we give to others in a foreign country?

very few indians here even smile at each other.for reasons best known to them. in fact i have noticed others at least greeting you and smiling at you when you pass by..

isnt this really strange..

6. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

Hi puja its sad to be welcomed by our fellow people to an unfamiliar land. But not to worry slowly you will get used to such hypocrisy.
    I even used to get excited at the sight of Indians and couple of times I had to face such impassive reactions for my greetings and smiles. Since then I happily smile and interact with Americans rather then Indians.
    I feel petty for all those people who don't have respect for others, I still don't understand why classification among customers at Indian restaurants.
    Next time some one abash you, don't refrain yourself from expressing your thoughts, infact give them a piece of americanized (softly and sarcastically) advice in front of an American.