IT companies are becoming like sweat shops!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by RadiantCat, Mar 23, 2010.

1. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

May come across rude yet at that risk - if a MNC makes you feel like a jacka*** with a access card to gain entry to a restroom and it irks you so much to even stay for a moment - QUIT.

I know there is more than wishful thinking to do it, but realize that you are doing no favor by sticking on to anything knowing you dont prefer it. While talking about a company ( rather-warning) is fine, the extent to which MNC's are trashed is quite annoying. We dont sit in a branch, and complain it pricks :-(

Arch

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Generalization and a bit extreme, don't you think?.

Sweatshop means, a working environment with unhealthy conditions that are considered by many people of industrialized nations to be difficult or dangerous, usually where the workers have few opportunities to address their situation. This can include exposure to harmful materials, hazardous situations, extreme temperatures, or abuse from employers. Sweatshop workers often work long hours for little pay, regardless of any laws mandating overtime pay or a minimum wage. --> Do you think all the IT companies follow this and make every other employee's life miserable?

And even so why confine to a particular industry. Is Finance great?, what about healthcare industry? I know of friends who are VP's working their a$$ of 14-20 hrs easily a day. They whine about it? Sure. They are happy with their income? Ofcourse !!

3. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

I did not log on to this thread for a while thinking it is dead. Well, Nandu, yes some IT companies in India similar to the ones in the Title are sweatshops. I have met developers working 2 - 3 days without break at work. There's absolutely no time limit or any decent infrastructure in several places.

I am forced to call such environments as sweatshops. My knowledge about other industries is limited, I cannot comment on them.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  4. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

GiJoe, Mal and I were arguing vehemently about this in one of the threads which was deemed as belittling India. The major difference between Indians and the West are, in India we don't strive for ourselves but we strive for others. This idea must be uprooted. Even in countries like Singapore which is recently developed, people don't work beyond 5 or 5:30 PM unlike in India. They stick to their schedule, they work hard. In India, we slog for 12 hrs a day but still it has poor infrastructure and we fight for the basics. The fruits of our hard work is reaped by other nations and not by us.

5. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

CanWait, This what I have learnt from my experience, currently India has lot of trained man power and the laws governing human rights are week so everyone takes advantage of this situation and they are trying to make money. Even in USA I have seen how Mexican labourers are exploited, unless human capital in India becomes expensive noting will change even though I wish things get better soon.

6. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

its normal anywhere. Business is about profits not employee or people welfare. and companies are not welfare trusts or NGOs. seen the movie George Clooneys "Up in the air"??