IT Career break and getting back...suggestions please...help pls...

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by amunique, Jan 26, 2016.

1. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Its been 1.2yrs since i left my software job(overall 7 yrs exp) at an MNC in chennai due (getting)married... not maternity. with no supportive partner nor parents... the only way i would survive now is by my job..
    my husband is around 35 yrs.. and now on the look out for government jobs in the general category.. :( i really dont understand whether its feasible. he doesnt seem to understand either.
    my father on the other hand is asking me to pay him up my education expenses and also contribute amount cos his business isnt doing well...
    I have my mom to support, she is nothing but very v innocent.
    i am caught in a few debts too.. credit card dues.
    the only way out is a job...

i have been in java development but not much of an exposure to real time... this is what i am fearing about..

suggestions please ....

TIA..

2. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

hoping any one would spend some time in replying ..i dont have much friends.. :(

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,
    Getting back into work force is possible. Decide what you want to do. If you want to get back into development take up training in latest technologies. If you know Java or any other OOP Its easy to get back. it is not difficult to learn new languageslike Python/RubyonRails ASP/.Net You can try to take some certification too. You can also develop your own apps/website as learning experience or do some freelancing to start with so that you can get some experience.

It may take some time to explore opportunities and figure out what you need to do to get yourself upto speed with current technology. Many have done that. All the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

hai,

Having 7 years of exp and 1.2 years gap is not a big deal to get a job.Espcly in a place like chennai. I hope if you try little more you will get a job without much hassles. Better to stick on with java until you get a initial tandem then later you can plan to switching the domain if you wish.

All the best

1 person likes this.
  5. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Thank you @peet1983 and jskls ... your words meant a lot to me... will definitely try.. hoping for the best...thanks again..

1 person likes this.
  6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

1. Search hard and you would find one.

2. You did not state your husband current situation, try find any stable job, not necessarily govt one.

3. Why does your father ask you to pay back your educational expenses? Seems really strange, considering our culture when we think kids upbringing. Discuss with him.

4. Your kids, how old are they and their care in case you go work? That is an important consideration to be taken into account and how helpful your husband is in regards to helping you at home or do you have in laws support.

7. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

--- i dont have kids as yet, its not even an year into my married life. :(

pls find my words inline to your ... in the above..
    Thank you so much for your kind words and your time friend.

8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear op, your gap is not that long in compare to your experience......I took 1.5 yrs of gap after having 5 yrs of exp in java....even after gap I got job in top MNC with 50% hike of salary.....I just refreshed my concept before interview...my gap was because of maternity....
    You will also get job easily...

9. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Ditto, you have a good experience with a minimal gap. Getting back to work should be easy. If anything embellish the truths about marriage, taking a break to enjoy time with a new partner. Trust me people understand and appreciate that. Think about who is in workforce, men who would want their wives to prioritize them and women who have already gone through similar challenges with their own marriage, kids and responsibility. A bîg part of getting a job is skill set and even bigger a personality. I have never sat in a job interview and not had a job offered by the end of the interview on the spot. I have a good skill set and an attractive personality that poeple want to work with me.

you have other troubles at home but at this moment concentrate on your career. Being self dependent and financially well iff solves a lot of problems very easily.

you are In Java field and there are plenty of jobs and you would certainly get in easily. If possible, consider doing some free work for non profit firms and contribute to open source forums to prove that you have not been idle in this time and your interest with coding and developemnt is still strong.