1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It Begs The Question, Is Begging Honourable ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Aug 13, 2021.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

IT BEGS THE QUESTION, IS BEGGING HONOURABLE ?

Supreme court on a recent PIL to remove beggars forcefully from traffic intersections, pointed out that begging is a socio economic problem that called for a humane and sympathetic approach. There are laws in different states to seize homeless people and send them to detention homes. The centre tried to distinguish between voluntary and involuntary begging. However it is a sign of our weakness in ensuring social protection. Having failed to provide economic security ,the article observes that it is unconscionable to make criminals out of the poor. In general begging is not an enthusiastic choice but a viable alternative to earn their livelihood but beggars are not choosers.

Decades back I came across an old lady sitting in front of Kurinchi Andavar temple at Kodaikanal.in her early seventies. With a red bhindi adorning her forehead and a bewitching toothless smile, she sat with an old polythene sheet spread in front of her with a few notes and coins sprinkled on the sheet. She did not ask for alms but would just say Namaste. I sat by her side and heard her story keenly watched by my wife and daughters .After losing her husband she preferred to stay by herself in her own shed .She had a small piece of land which produced enough grains for herself. She found it offensive when her son and DIL spoke with each other in English. She had sold all her jewellery to educate her son .Now the push cart fellow selling food and snacks near the temple gave her food. In a normal month her monthly collection was around Rs.3000 which would swell to around 8000 during the season .Unable to bear the insult, her son and DIL had moved away to Chennai. With a twinkle in her eye she said that she had enough in her kitty to have treatment in an English Hospital if the need arose. I gave Rs 100 to her and she in turn gave Rs Five each to my two daughters and blessed them. Is she a beggar?

My American boss in Goa called me and showed me a Fax from his friend in US. The message was that his son had come to Goa with one hundred thousand US$ and turned into a Hippie. He requested my boss to have an eye on him. With irritation, he delegated the task to me and cautioned me not to involve myself with the blaggard. I went to one of beautiful beaches of Goa and after searching for him, I found him ,a young man in his early thirties on the beach .He had a tuft, with the frontal area shaved nicely, three vertical lines, two white and one red adorning his forehead and a begging bowl in his hand. Though shocked, I accompanied him on his mission for a while, keeping a safe distance, lest the public should offer some money to me. After a while he took me to his well appointed shantie and explained that he was fed up with life and that is why he turned himself into a hippie. Begging destroyed his individuality and he gave away his daily collections to the children of fisher men. I cautioned him to be careful and not to fall a prey to drugs. Is he a beggar?

Our traditional ethos include the ideals of Bhikshu as a means of demolishing the ego or doing penance. Om,bhavati bhiksham dehi call made women rush to offer rice/grains etc. St.Thyagaraja practiced begging as a sadhana and offered prasadam to God as a medium of communicating with the divine within himself. When Mythili was on her death bed I was advised to beg for her life. It was a prearranged begging from friends’ house. When I stood in front of his house with a bowl for collecting Rice I had a new sensation of weightlessness as if I was in a spacecraft. This exercise extended her life by around eight months. Are the people who undertake such missions out of sheer desperation and as a last resort, are beggars?

I beg your pardon is what we said when we did not hear the other person on phone.Now we shout-your voice is breaking and I can’t hear you,****.I beg to differ was a polite way of expressing your disagreement. Now it is replaced by “you are talking rubbish” but older people say nonsense instead of rubbish. I beg to submit ,I beg your attention, I beg your forgiveness are polite expressions. The icing on the cake is when our great parliamentarians” beg to ask leave to withdraw the amendment”.Afterall begging is honourable.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear SLN Sir,

The polite term for those who don't have financial means without help from a support system in the US is called "homeless". Even though the term means "a person without a home and therefore living in the streets". Similarly, beg only means, "asking something politely". As you rightly pointed out, in Brahmacharya Ashrama, all the children were trained to seek help in the neighborhood to make them understand everything in life is a gift and to reduce egoistic tendencies. Most of us watched, "Enga Brahmanan?" a serial made by Cho Ramasamy where an affluent family struggled with shame when their son decided to go through and understand teachings in Vedic scriptures by practising it in his daily life.

Sometimes, I feel it is our social system that need to be blamed for such situation for people whether they are young or old. Other times, I feel that there should be more choultries built to help people who are in need of food and shelter. If these basic needs are not available in any country, there has to be a large scale effort made voluntarily by those who have means to live on their own. Instead of expecting governments to fix it, it should be a social responsibility to serve those in need. Even when people got addicted to a drug, we should extend help as a society.

Even world's #1 economy has people who have no means to live on their own. There is homelessness in every major cities in the US. When we listen to their stories, mostly, they didn't become homeless because of disastrous financial decisions they had made but because of family healthcare costs, losing job, litigation, accidents, etc. When we shut down a medical camp sooner due to heavy rain, a homeless person showed up in the reception and asked us whether she could be provided medical attention. When we explained that we didn't expect anyone to show up in the rain, she asked, "Do you know what it takes to be homeless? We don't feel the rain". It brought tears into my eyes and helped her get the medical attention she deserved. When economic recession caused major issues in 1999 and again in 2008, many of us carried goody bags in our car consist of water bottle, sandwitch, chips, fruit, etc. and distributed when we saw a homeless person. Even now, COVID caused major problems for those who were working in restaurants and other public places.

I realize one can't fix all of these issues but can make a small difference to one person at least one day. I am not sure whether to call them homeless or those who live without a heart to help them homeless (heartless).

Viswa

3. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hello SLN Sir
    Very well you described this issue,I feel it's nothing wrong if we help others who are in need.Life run on karma concept,it's our darma to help who seek from us.When god has given power to help others we should never step back in doing so.God always test person to see his behaviour towards the helpless person,we don't have any right to hurt others.
    During this pandemic time many were in helpless situation, similarly in 2004 tsunami many have become homeless due to disaster,now question arises can we call them as beggars?who expected these situation, definitely no one will dare to imagine such situations, society habituated to call them as beggars,all are not born beggars.
    Recently I got a video in WhatsApp,a lady who is qualified,very rich once upon time,she use to fly from one country to other and have food in 5star hotels,she use to wear costly clothes and live with all amenities. But now situation is reverse,at present she is staying in street where she reside in one old unused scrap car.I was shocked when I heard her story,she was speaking fluent english and holding command on other languages too, because of financial crisis her entire life style is changed.
    No one can expect how will be the life.
    I conclude my reply with some lines about Homeless.

Voice Of Homeless

We are called homeless
    but you don't be heartless

We are in darkness
    but don't want to be hopeless

We are foodless
    but don't want to
    live with hungriness

We are workless
    but don't make us shameless

We are called worthless
    but you are not ruthless

We seek your kindness
    but not your hatredness

We feel our life is helpless
    but don't make us to live
    endless.

Regards
    Ratna

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

The snippet reminds me of a real story of a beggar from Guwahati, Assam. His only wish was to save enough and travel to Kolkata by air. He managed it.
    There may be reasons for begging but once in it, it becomes a habit or profession. Some get hooked on drugs.
    In Delhi, they are removed from the streets and sent to shelters but they manage to return. Their area of operation is reserved. Some beggars work for mafias.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

In America the poor are made to feel that their poverty is somehow their own doing.... although successive governments for the past fifty years have worked to erode the opportunities for the working class.

We deserve pitchforks up our ...

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Wrong economic policies, natural disasters to name a few have driven many to begging. However the Varsha cyclone in Chennai a few years back and the corona pandemic have brought the finer instincts of Indians.Anand Mahindra rightly tweeted that there is still hope for the have nots to have a dignified life.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

We are in darkness
    but don't want to be hopeless
    This is what I like most in the poem.
    We read heart- rending stories of erstwhile sports persons struggling for two square meals a day. Thanks to the active social and other media ,help pours in from helpful individuals. Recently our car cleaner, from NE and in his early forties met with an accident almost immobilizing him for life. You will be surprised that his discounted medical bills amounting to Rs.2.5 lakhs were settled by the residents. Rice, wheat and groceries to last for a few months have been provided. Plans are under discussion to rehabilitate him and his family. Basically human beings are kind and good. Competition for success makes them tough until something tragic strikes a chord. A potential begging situation was averted.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

You are right. Mafia gangs operate in cities and train children in pick pocketing or begging. Horror stories of maiming the children before letting them loose on the streets are abound though declining of late. Vocational training depending on their ability to catch up will go a long way in redirecting them from begging.
    SLN

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I am sorry to learn that in US there is a general feeling that poverty is ones own making.Idont think that poverty and begging can be voluntary. I know a couple of cases where medical complications have reduced the families to almost begging. Thanks to still some energy left, the old lady is cooking in houses and eking out her livelihood. If you visit Vishranthi, a destitute home for old women in Chennai, you will not come out without a tear in your eyes. Any amount of help is not enough as the number has increased after the pandemic.
    SLN

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.