1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with my grandmother

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by nayidulhan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your replies. It feels good to know that there are so many understanding folks out there. :cheers

About the dining table issue, she does that to anyone at any time. I mean even if some visiting relative/friend is invited to the dining table for snacks, she does this. This embarrasses not only the diner but the rest of us as well. And we have to let it pass as it may seem uncouth to rectify her behavior on the spot then. But listening to you, ASG and Foundlove I will try to take charge from now on. May be I could say something like this – “Gramma, why don’t you sit opposite the visitor so that you can be comfortable while talking to him?” or may be “Gramma, here take this chair, you will be in a better position to look at him while conversing.” I hope this works!

Shivachoubey, thanks for opening my eyes to the reality. I admit things will either remain the same or worsen. We can not ask her to assist in the household chores. She never as much filled a glass of water for herself in life so asking her to contribute to the working of the household could mean inviting more trouble. She will take it personally and definitely throw tantrums. But she is fond of reading and so may be I could ensure that her side tables are always stacked with something new all the time. Right now she always has some book, etc by her side so I could change that and make books & more books by her side. :thumbsup

My family (minus Gramma) had a one to one the other day and we have all decided that it would be the best to ignore completely her actions that irritate us. So now I think with all the wonderful help that I received here, I have found a workable solution to this issue. Just 1 issue (of coughing) remains to be addressed now. If someone finds an answer to this please get back to me. In the meanwhile, thanks and warmest regards to everyone. :)

P.S. Sruthi1981, everyone on this forum, like you and I, is hanging around to have a good time and to improve their lives in whichever way possible. So misunderstandings/ slips will be a part of the game. Please don't bother about any of this now. :2thumbsup:

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear ND,

I am glad you saw the right angle to this problem. If your gandmom is interested in reading then try playing some easy puzzles with her. Puzzles and maths are very good for the brain exercise. They need not be hard, very simple ones will do, moreover she will bond well with you and will listen to you when you correct her.

All the best dear ND.

regards