Isa Vasyam...

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by bhagyachinu, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

Yesterday I had to go out of office for a meeting. I left thinking that I can be back soon and did not take my handbag and lunch bag. The meeting venue was way out of city and by the time the meeting was over it was late and I had to pass through my place (of residence) to go back to office. It was already 6.10 pm when I reached near my residence. By the time I reach office it’ll be 7 or 7.30pm and then back home will take another two hours. So, I just borrowed some money from a colleague and got down at the nearest junction and headed home.

Why I’m saying this is because I wanted to share the liberating feeling I felt when I started to office this morning. I just carried some money in hand for auto rickshaw fare and my mobile. I loved the freedom. Only then I realized what all luggage I carry to office daily. My bag (which I selected based on its carrying capacity) is always heavy but then I don’t open it once I reach here. Seriously, I have to check what all I carry in it. Then I have my lunch bag (who will eat outside when one can bring home made food? Hygiene and economy).

I enjoy the freedom of carrying nothing wherever I go. But then, one cannot. Can one? Even when we go on vacation, I have to make sure I carry everything which my son and husband need. And then I have my dresses – minimum two per day for each of us for the entire duration of the vacation (one cannot be washing when one is vacationing). Not only cloths, camera, handicam, son’s video games, a knife (to cut fruits) and anything else which my hubby or son might ask for. You cannot leave the hotel room, without carrying minimum requirements. Being the woman of the family, you’ve to be resourceful (brrr). If my son asks for something and it’s not there, the blame is one you (“you must know what all to pack”)

Just writing about it itself gives me pain. Imagine undergoing it. In this light, the freedom of this morning was heavenly. I have always loved travelling without even my purse. I do it when I go out with my husband short distance. He enjoys paying my bills (which is a positive affirmation).

I recently read about somebody who lives with only 15 or 20 belongings, including his bag. But I want to live even without that bag. If just leaving out material things gives you this freedom, just imagine discarding mental baggage. The worries, anxieties, jealousies, grudges…

May be that is why Isavasya Upanishad starts with this sloka

Isa vasyam idam sarvan
    Yat kincha jagatyam jagat
    Te na tyaktena bhunjida
    Maa grudha kasyasyavid dhanam

Which roughly means that everything that is is God’s (even the tiniest particle). So do not covet others’ wealth.
    I would think that the stress is not in ‘not coveting others’ wealth’ but that ‘there is nothing that is yours’.
    ‘You own nothing’ can be either frightening or liberating – depending on the way you look at it. It’s our choice.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was a beautifully written piece BhagyaChinu. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks. -rgs

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Bhagyachinu,

Very nice one and i enjoyed your writing dear. Keep it up

4. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

This was wonderful and i liked it very much....its really happy when we go out without any luggage with us...

5. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Good one...I love to be the same too

6. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Bhagya, I have no words for some time after reading this.. this is my same feeling too..

When I was working, if I were Jeans pant (very rarely only) I would just take my atm card with some money for lunch inside the atm card cover and a small mobile to fit in jeans pant.. You know, what a freedom I feel with having nothing in my hand..

I love to go somewhere(for short distance) without any money or mobile... that care free mood will not match to any happiness for me..