"Is Yamuna river of Sorrow? " in Delhi Region

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by nabanitapain, Jun 3, 2008.

1. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Hi IL Friends,

"India's rivers are drowning in pollution"
    This is regarding the Yamuna River.
    When I visited Delhi for a tour my train was passing through a bridge over the Yamuna river.I was like stocked to see the condition of the river in Delhi..IT is like drain more likely to say a industrial drain.As I visited the so called of Ganga and Yamuna at Gangotri and Yamunotri and I am just panic striken to see it in Delhi..The water is black and the river water hardly flows.

The problem is that 11 of the city's 17 sewage-treatment plants are underutilized; a quarter of them run at less than 30 percent capacity. That's because the city's sewer system is so corroded and clogged it can't deliver to the treatment plants the waste of the 55 percent of New Delhi's 15 million inhabitants who are connected to the sewage system.
    And even if the plants were fully utilized, there would still be the waste from 1,500 unplanned neighborhoods, where sewage "finds its way into the drains and the river,"

Can we do something for it?IF so What?We should think to save the holy river..

What you say friends?

Nabanita

2. shweta_mhatre

shweta_mhatre New IL'ite

Yamuna has become river of sorrow in Delhi

Hi Friends,
    I completely agree with you that the condition of Yamuna has detoriated and I guess it is like in the last age.I will say also it has become a industrial drain.The delhi sewage system need to be blamed for it and steps should be taken from not putting the industrial waste into the river as most of the industries are on the banks of Yamuna..

3. sudarshana

sudarshana New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I agree that Yamuna has become the River of Sorrow to Delhi .
    I would say my experience.When the train gets into the New Delhi Station ,it passes over the bridge over the Yamuna river ,the water is black ,it looks like a industrial drain as all the industries are on its bank and all the wastes are thrown on the River.

Delhi Govt should think on it.

4. charandeepkaur

charandeepkaur New IL'ite

Sacchi yaar yamuna di halat ganga ki tarah hi ho chuki hai. Apni government naal ki kara samaj nahi aanda. Yamina jaisi pavitra nadi nu bhi kharab kar ditta. Saara ganda kachra yahi jama kitta hai. Some hard steps should be taken to control this. It was a place for worship but now the conditon has changed. Indeed it has became a place for dumping the waste. It has really became a river of sorrow. Itni changi naddi nu kachra daal daal ke kharab kar ditta hai. Aankho vich aansu aa jande hai ye soochke ki kya hoga desh ka agar isi tarah sab chalta raha.